Mt Inglis

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Inglis

Postby wello » Sat 19 Apr, 2008 6:20 pm

Has anyone been out to Mt Inglis? I'm planning to head out that way in May, and would appreciate any inside info. The plan would be to head along the ridge from Barn Bluff, then return to Waterfall valley via Lake Will. That would involve crossing Bluff River somewhere near Innes falls. Any ideas on what this crossing would be like?

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Mt Inglis

Postby tastrekker » Fri 25 Apr, 2008 6:05 am

I did Mt Inglis as a long day walk from Dove Lake 10 years ago. The walk was exactly as per the description in "The Abels." We went up Marion's LO, over the Plateau to Kitchen Hut, around the side of Cradle, along Cradle and Barn Cirques. We left the Barn Bluff Track once we reached the main boulder field and rock-hopped around until we were facing Mt Inglis. From there it was a matter of just following the ridge. It is fairly open walking west from Barn. There are just a couple of brief scrubby sections (tanglefoot, scoparia, etc.) on the way up Inglis.

As we returned via the same route, I didn't traverse the terrain down to Innes Falls but I'm fairly certain it would be open walking as long as you did not descend too close to the northern shore.

We had a completely clear day. If visibility was bad, it would be vital to follow the correct bearing off Barn Bluff's western flank to avoid descending into the Fury Gorge or Lake Will. Also, Mt Inglis is a fairly small target on a broad ridge that could take you most of the way towards Tullah!

As for crossing Bluff River, I have not done it but I think it would be easy. There is a heap of tanglefoot (fagus) in the valley below the falls so I expect you could cross the river down there through tree branches if the river was raging.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby PeterJ » Sat 26 Apr, 2008 4:24 pm

wello wrote:Has anyone been out to Mt Inglis? I'm planning to head out that way in May, and would appreciate any inside info. The plan would be to head along the ridge from Barn Bluff, then return to Waterfall valley via Lake Will. That would involve crossing Bluff River somewhere near Innes falls. Any ideas on what this crossing would be like?

Wello

The route described by tastrekker is a good way. I have walked via the northern flank of Barn Bluff twice, the last in February, and you can traverse just below the Barn Bluff boulders without much hassle. For the route via Lake Will once at Innes Falls you can usually just step over the outlet from Lake Will (Bluff River) and the approach to there from Inglis is open most of the way, with a short bit of scrub at the foot of the ridge off Barn Bluff the only impediment.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wello » Sun 27 Apr, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks PeterJ and tastrekker - good information. Plus its always good to hear that scrub conditions are resaonable!

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby E.G. » Fri 09 May, 2008 6:12 pm

Lovely country and the view from Inglis is fantastic. The return route from Mount Inglis to Lake Will is basically the line of the Innes Track. After coming out of the scrub on the side of Barn Bluff there is a line of stakes that lead east (100 mag) to the southern end of Lake Will where the Bluff RIver emerges. The track is very weak these days despite the best efforts of wombats.

Have fun
E.G.
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wello » Thu 15 May, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks to everyone for the info. A couple of us had a go at Inglis this week and I was successful in making the summit. The day wasn't the best, with low cloud obscuring many of the peaks basically all day. Had find the ridge leading off Barn Bluff in 100m visibility. Luckily it cleared a little later on and I did get a view from the top. It would be a great angle to look back at Barn Bluff and Cradle (unfortunately I could only see their lower flanks).

Looked out for Innes Track, but didn't see any stakes. In some ways, slogging across the button grass back to Lake Will was the hardest part of the day.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby E.G. » Sat 17 May, 2008 7:36 pm

Wello, Pity about the weather, it is a great view from Inglis to Barn and Fury Gorge. Cheers, E.G.
Mt Inglis Dec 04 058 2.JPG
E.G.
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby flyfisher » Sat 17 May, 2008 8:48 pm

Thats's a great shot E.G.. Would the marker post in the foreground be one of E.G.'s do you know.

Cheers FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby E.G. » Sun 18 May, 2008 10:16 am

Hi flyfisher, its a trick of the light, it is a vertical piece of rock where the track has been cut out. Between Lake Will and Tullah, the track was cleaned out and new stakes installed in about 1935 (depression work). At that time the original stakes were largely rotted away, most of the 'new' ones have gone that way too! Even though Inglis is a pretty dull peak, the view from the top is excellent. Charles Whitham was there in 1920 and said 'Here in the still clearness of the young day I had a crowded hour of glorious vision. All the mountains - and there are many of them- could be seen, as far as Mount Jukes and Frenchman's Cap. I have never known such a morning ...' I put a couple of snaps in the gallery. Regards, E.G.
E.G.
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Pompom » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi, I've just run across an article by Geoff Lambert entitled "Innes Track Liena to Rosebery. It is in The Tasmanian Tramp No 22. It has a history of the track, plus an account of local walkers doing it in 1974. It also includes a map indicating 3 different tracks plus camp sites.
Bob Cooper
Pompom

Postby E.G. » Tue 24 Jun, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks Bob,

Geoff came over in the days before the dams went in and flooded the Sophia River. He didn't find the Mole Creek Track until near Granite Tor but it is there to be found, in places. Innes' original survey was abandoned between Granite Tor and the Sophia because it was very bad country and the track was cut along the Brougham River in, what is today, terrible country. Geoff said that he saw some huts on the side of Mount Inglis, probably old hunting huts of the Connells, now gone to earth. It is some great research and fascinating information.

Cheers, E.G.
E.G.
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Geevesy » Fri 19 Jan, 2018 4:08 pm

Anyone been out to Inglis recently? Just wondering about potential camping sites on the Fury divide or elsewhere nearby. PM if necessary. Thanks!
A path! A path!
Geevesy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 19 Jan, 2018 8:40 pm

DSC0130722.jpg

I went last year sometime, I can't remember seeing anything I'd consider a campsite as it's all just very low, rough scrub. The only areas I can think that might have had clear ground was in the tree line close to Inglis, but that's on quite a slope. Pic is from the tarn in the middle of Fury Divide.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Geevesy » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks for the advice CasualNerd
A path! A path!
Geevesy

Postby north-north-west » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 11:02 am

I camped not far from that tarn. It's mostly just low open sedge. Great spot to spend a night.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 11:11 am

north-north-west wrote:I camped not far from that tarn. It's mostly just low open sedge. Great spot to spend a night.

+1 In good weather :wink:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 11:16 am

:) I had good weather. Overnight, anyway. Little bit of fog the next morning, but no wind. Glorious.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 11:45 am

north-north-west wrote::) I had good weather. Overnight, anyway. Little bit of fog the next morning, but no wind. Glorious.

Wow! That's not like you, nnw! Glad you get good weather now and then. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania