Help choosing a 2 man hiking tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Help choosing a 2 man hiking tent

Postby fishboy » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 2:01 pm

We're looking to buy a 2 man tent to take with us on the OT in November. I've located a couple of sub-$200 light weight tents which look alright based on what I can read on the website. Can anyone offer any opinions on them at all? Has anyone used either of these brands before? Can you offer any other tent suggestions in this price range?

EPE Portal 2 Person Hiking Tent 1.9kg. $175
http://www.wildearth.com.au/portal-pers ... p-750.html

DMH Huon 2 Person Hiking Tent 2.25kg. $150
http://www.wildearth.com.au/huon-person ... p-268.html

Thanks!
fishboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Help choosing a 2 man hiking tent

Postby Nuts » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 3:43 pm

I'd actually suggest that either is likely to be crap though either should last at least a week... you'd hope!

Also, we used DMH tunnel style tents for several years with a company i worked for and they lasted well... That Was a while back now, no doubt the quality is a little less now...?

Perhaps look for a better brand on sale? Or a better brand sourced from US/UK ? The $ is right up there at the moment, good time to buy :wink:

Sorry i cant help with models/brands. There are Many and I havent bought a cheap tent for a while. If you keep suggesting brands and models that you find perhaps someone Will have experience with them (or the two you mention)...

(I did read of Mountain Designs Tasex...here somewhere... selling off some used Macpac tents....)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Nuts » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 3:46 pm

Eureka is a better quality, cheaper brand that springs to mind...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 5:17 pm

I don't know of either tent personally but I would go the DMH if choosing on specs.
Tents with a single longitudinal pole make it difficult for two to sit up it as the full height only exists at the middle, if you know what I mean. Also the EPE has no vestibule which is a big deal in my opinion.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby richie » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 5:39 pm

My girlfriend has the DMH one, it has gone pretty well since we sealed some seams that had been badly taped, it gets a lot of condensation though, is a pain to get in and out of when its damp, has little vestibule space for packs when there's 2 in it, and with the fly zip open rain will land inside the inner. In spite of all that it's done well by us, but I sleep under a tarp when it's just me.

I'd also consider the DuoMid from Mountain Laurel Designs (there's several versions of this design from various companies), BetaMid with BetaBug from Black Diamond (a friend has one and it goes well for him), they're both lighter and likely more reliable (I don't own either, but am currently considering something along these lines and possibly making my own).
richie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby richie » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 6:11 pm

Just re read your post, my suggestions are a little out of your price range, despite the negatives I've listed the DMH does do pretty well. Like anything, its just a matter of getting used to what you have and working around the limitations.

EDIT: Here's something like what I've been looking at, got no idea how it would go. http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/prod31.htm
richie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby fishboy » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 9:26 pm

Ok, thanks for the advice guys....I was a little worried that they might be rubbish quality given the price, it sounds like it might pay to spend a little more.

Any other suggestions for decent, cheap, 2 man tents?
fishboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 10:05 pm

The problem comes when combining the criteria "decent" with "cheap", you get what you pay for.
If you want to pay about 3 times what you looked at, you will be able to get a very good tent that you will be able to rely on. It will open your options up a lot as to selections. Maybe start by looking at the more expensive tents and compare features, weight, performance, reviews etc. Then you will have a better idea what to look for in a less expensive tent if you take that path.

I recall a post here recently, someone purchasing a tent and taking it back because deam sealing was separating, ended up getting a refund and getting a better tent.
Whatever you decide to do, sincerely, best of luck.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Drifting » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 5:05 pm

With the Aussie dollar up against the US Dollar, I'd be thinking about a tarptent. http://www.tarptent.com
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Cocksy_86 » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 8:40 pm

I have a Mont Moondance II and it's great. It's a cosy 2 man tent. I call it a couples tent cos I wouldn't want to share it with anyone other than Chelle. It can't handle snow though so I'm not sure if that's what you're going for.

http://www.mont.com.au/index/catalog/product/112

It's only 2kg. It can (and has) handled any storm. I've been in strong winds and the wind channel was awesome.
Attachments
Illinbah Solo (27).JPG
Illinbah Solo (27).JPG (209.2 KiB) Viewed 28324 times
Cocksy from Down Under
http://www.seqhistory.com
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby anne3 » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 9:29 am

I just love my Hubba Hubba, brought it when the us dollar was strong and still think it is great value.
I know its only a three seasons tent...but a little snow never hurt anyone...
Attachments
SAM_1593.JPG
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:26 am

anne3 wrote:I just love my Hubba Hubba, brought it when the us dollar was strong and still think it is great value.

Awesome pic! Tent ain't too bad either.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby leithel » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 12:29 pm

I bought a Vango Tempest from Wildearth. 2 man and 2.6kg. Not quite as light as the other tents you are looking at. I've been really happy and it's a good sturdy tent. Mine was the older version which weighs 2.8kg.

http://www.wildearth.com.au/vango-tbs®ii-tempest-mountain-hiking-tent-p-180.html?osCsid=f81cf1bdda250dbfe5e988207251fada

I'm looking at getting something a little lighter now. Most likely an MSR Hubba Hubba. Should be able to pick one up for around $300 USD + postage
leithel
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby crockle » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 12:53 pm

tasadam wrote:The problem comes when combining the criteria "decent" with "cheap"...

He's right.
No one has offered a poor choice in tent so far (although someone surely is shortly going to suggest taking a hammock :wink: )
Most suggestions so far *are* fairly expensive though, and it might be that you were thinking along the lines of 'getting through the OT' rather than investing in a tent for long-term.
If you're thinking of a tent "as a keeper", don't get either of the cheap tents you've listed - they're not likely to represent great value long-term.
If you're thinking more along the lines of getting through the OT without drama, and then driving it 'til it drops, then cheap and cheerful brand options might be
Eureka (as Nuts suggested)
Salewa
Luxe (eg. http://backpackinglight.com.au/prod136.htm )
Outer Limits (http://outer-limits.com.au/tentsandshelters/tents.php)
Or - of the 2 you've mentioned, the DHM .

Eureka and Salewa are probably not as cheap as they used to be though, and you may even have trouble finding Eureka in AUS now (they used to be everywhere)

Nice thing about the Overland is that your tent choice is not potentially putting you in a dangerous situation.
Sure, the hut might be full and your cheap tent might be first crushed by snow and then shredded by strong winds - whereupon you retreat to your 'emergency posture' of sleeping on the hut floor. Rather than dying of exposure on an icy ridge. :)

(The crushing and the shredding are not very *likely* to happen - I wouldn't go expecting either, BTW)
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 1:02 pm

Sierra Designs is another that comes to mind, sierra trading post (.com) sell some good stuff cheap..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 1:18 pm

Nuts wrote:Sierra Designs is another that comes to mind, sierra trading post (.com) sell some good stuff cheap..

I would second that - although you could probably make a case for Sierra Designs tents are being genuinely 'mid-range' rather than cheap and cheerful.
I had a SD Clip Flashlight tent that just kept on keeping on, for years and years, sometimes well out of its 'comfort zone'
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby fishboy » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Found this Marmot Titan 2 man:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,881 ... eason.html

For just over $200 AUD delivered. Sound alright? Reviews seem to be very positive...
fishboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby fishboy » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 5:39 pm

Hmmm...and those Tarptents sound quite intriguing. Not much more expensive at current exhange rates too...

http://www.tarptent.com
fishboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stepbystep » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 6:20 pm

I got a Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge for just over $200 delivered, it's a very good solid 3 season tent, well made and designed, just to add to your confusion :)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 6:43 pm

fishboy wrote:Hmmm...and those Tarptents sound quite intriguing. Not much more expensive at current exhange rates too...

http://www.tarptent.com

And for just a bit more a Hilleberg Nallo perhaps? When it comes to two person tents this one is a clear standout (to me).. (oh, and lots of others)..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crockle » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 6:44 pm

fishboy wrote:Found this Marmot Titan 2 man ....Reviews seem to be very positive...

"Ventilation, ventilation, and more ventilation. Marmot's Titan backpacking tent is mostly mesh under the weatherproof fly"
It is possible that you may find it just a tad over-ventilated in Tassie conditions - depending on warmth of your sleeping bags etc. A great price on a very 'American-style' tent - Marmot don't make any rubbish though

But if you can spring the funds - I'd say go for the Tarptent option.
It's possible the Scarp 2 and the Double Rainbow would be high on your consideration-list. As indeed, currently they are on mine :)
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 6:55 pm

crockle wrote:"Ventilation, ventilation, and more ventilation. Marmot's Titan backpacking tent is mostly mesh under the weatherproof fly"

Probably ok for Nov Overland Track though, otherwise great for a qeenslander! Yer Marmot should be top notch quality wise (a little heavier though). That seedhouse is apparently also a good tent..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Greenie » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 8:41 pm

I am quite happy with my 2 man tent from Aldi. That's right from Aldi! I think they are only on sale for one week a year though. Weighs around 2Kg's. Very roomy. Not a bad tent for $40.
Has features that are very simalar to tent around the $200 price range.
The only thing I changed was to ligher pegs.
Only a small section of mesh near the top, so more of a winter tent than a summer tent.

Still Tarptent and if money permits Hilleberg will replace this tent and be used on the OT

Last edited by Greenie on Fri 24 Sep, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ninjapuppet » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 9:06 pm

Ive got a friend who's in the commandos, and he reckons he's a pretty tough cookie.

we've got this 3 week walk in NZ in late spring, and dared him to take a cheap K-mart beach tent to camp up on some of NZ's 2000m peaks. This will be including the top of the cascade saddle lookout, Mt Aspiring, and a few at Arthur's pass...... no bivvy allowed, and i will have pictures

guess it doesnt proove anything, but its gonna be fun to watch how tough this cookie can be.
but if it survives - fishboy, i am going to recommened you this beach tent.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby crockle » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 9:13 pm

Greenie you might leave one or two dyed-in-the-wool Taswegians guessing there. As far as I know the fabulous German 'Aldi' chain of budget own-brand supermarkets has not made the leap yet over Bass Strait.
I have a friend who is more or less addicted to purchasing from Aldi - thrilled by the constant savings on offer. I have seen her buy a DVD player, USB pendrives, a computer, a home gym, & children's outdoor playhouse, among other items. Many of these have broken or failed. But I really like the idea of a $40 tent being as perfectly capable as $200 - $300 tents.
Where would you take it ? Or where have you? (Lie outrageously at this point if necessary :mrgreen: )

ninjapuppet - seems that if he gets good weather, it could be a doddle in K-Mart's finest. If NZ turns on "it's finest", it might not matter how tough he is ...
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Greenie » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 9:31 pm

Even though Aldi's are springing up every where here on the mainland, I step foot in them about once a year. So this the biggest purchase I have made.
I am comparing them to the materials and features used for $200 or above tents a stores like Ray's Outdoors or Katmandu. But not of those of other stores.
I have used a few nights on the Six Foot Track and on top of the Barrington Tops. The coldest it got to was -3.3. But I was very lucky there was no rain or wind.
Also used it on top of K2..
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby crockle » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:07 pm

Greenie wrote:Also used it on top of K2..

I understand there was an entire German mountaineering team sent to ascend K2 using nothing but the products of Aldi.
There was some heated group discussion over the durability of the Aldi carabiners, and some argument over the climbing ropes, which were apparently delivered to the team in refrigerated vacuum-sealed blister packs.
But according to all reports, they all came down from the mountain after 2 1/2 days owing to the exceedingly crap quality of the Aldi Cab-Shiraz .

k2-northridge.jpg
k2-northridge.jpg (34.71 KiB) Viewed 28143 times

How did you go on the little ice-ledge near the top Greenie?
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kalium » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 12:24 pm

anne3 wrote:I just love my Hubba Hubba, brought it when the us dollar was strong and still think it is great value.

Yes, cool pic. How was that tent in the cold? I believe they are all inner mesh ?

Cheers
kalium
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby anne3 » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 1:19 pm

It was good in the cold, I think the build up of snow around the edges of the tent kept in the warmth. The inner is all mesh so I was pleased with how it went, I only took it to the snow for a test run incase i ever got caught out in the snow in it, I slept well for the two nights that I was out.
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby samh » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 1:23 pm

crockle wrote:I understand there was an entire German mountaineering team sent to ascend K2 using nothing but the products of Aldi.
There was some heated group discussion over the durability of the Aldi carabiners, and some argument over the climbing ropes, which were apparently delivered to the team in refrigerated vacuum-sealed blister packs.
But according to all reports, they all came down from the mountain after 2 1/2 days owing to the exceedingly crap quality of the Aldi Cab-Shiraz

Interesting do you have a ink to some information on that?
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Equipment