Mt Bogong Circuit

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Bogong Circuit

Postby optdyl » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 6:22 pm

Hello all,

I am planning on doing a circuit to Mt Bogong in Late October and would greatly appreciate any info anyone has.

I have found two circuits which start (and obviously end) at a similar spot, but which follow different paths, these are:

3 nights/4 days:
Day 1: Langford Gap - Mt Nelse - Spion Kopje - Grey Hills - Bogong Creek Saddle
Day 2: Bogong Creek Saddle - Quartz Ridge - Mt Bogong - Cleve Cole Hut
Day 3: Cleve Cole Hut - Big River - Ropers Hut
Day 4: Ropers Hut - Langford Gap

AND

2 nights/3days:
Day 1: Duane Spur - Big River - T Sput - Cleve Cole Hut
Day 2: Cleve Cole Hut - Mt Bogong - Quartz Ridge - Big River
Day 3: Big River - Timms Spur to starting point

To those who have done either (or both) of these walks, what are your opinions on them? Also, are we likely to encounter any difficulties?

Cheers,

dyl
Last edited by optdyl on Fri 24 Sep, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
optdyl
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Bogong Circuit

Postby Charlievee » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 7:08 pm

Hey optdyl - haven't done the walk yet, but keen to do it. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! I hope the snow has melted by the time of your walk ! Best regards, Charlie.
A man's best friend is his knife, not his dog...
Charlievee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby optdyl » Sat 25 Sep, 2010 10:52 am

I reckon it should be alright by then (RE:snow), but needless to say will be prepared for the worst. I noticed your knocking off a section of the AAWT sometime soon, will have to get a trip report from you as I'm planning on doing a similar section in January before work starts!

dyl
optdyl
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Charlievee » Sat 25 Sep, 2010 6:24 pm

I'd be glad to compare notes mate !

BTW - from what I've heard the AAWT is best done in spring as there is more ground water available. Some stretches can be quite dry. Hopefully with all the snow and rain we've had lately it won't be a problem for you. Regards, CV
A man's best friend is his knife, not his dog...
Charlievee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 7:55 pm

optdyl wrote:3 nights/4 days:
Day 1: Langford Gap - Mt Nelse - Spion Kopje - Grey Hills - Bogong Creek Saddle
Day 2: Bogong Creek Saddle - Quartz Ridge - Mt Bogong - Cleve Cole Hut
Day 3: Cleve Cole Hut - Big River - Ropers Hut
Day 4: Ropers Hut - Langford Gap

The one time I've done this circuit was in the opposite direction, a few summers back, with a few extra bits thrown in to drag it out. The last day was over early, and the bulk of the afternoon spent sitting in the sun by a creek, watching the long-tailed skinks skittering over the rocks (and my legs) hunting flies. It's easy going for the most part, the one issue being picking up the start of the route over the Grey Hills. The first day would be the longest. Use some of the spare time on day 2 or 3 to visit the falls on Camp Creek, just below Cleve Cole. Worth the effort. Ditto going up to the lookout on the top of Timms spur - it's an easy 'cross country' walk, following an old footpad from the saddle south of the ridge.
Oh, and the Big River crossing below Duane and T Spurs could be interesting. There is a chain there to help if the water level's high, but if that big fallen tree is still there I reckon it's more trouble than it's worth trying to use it. There's a shallower ford about 50m upstream.

In fact, I'm looking at repeating the walk starting on Friday from Mountain Creek, although the amount of snow on the High Plains has me a little worried. It's not as extensive as I've seen in past years at the same time, but the remaining coverage is deeper. Still trying to work out a viable alternative circuit.

2 nights/3days:
Day 1: Duane Spur - Big River - T Spur - Cleve Cole Hut
Day 2: Cleve Cole Hut - Mt Bogong - Quartz Ridge - Big River
Day 3: Big River - Timms Spur to starting pointl

And how about getting to the top of Duane Spur (which is Ropers Hut, by the way)? There's no vehicle access. The shortest walk in is via Heathy Spur Track or Watchbed Creek, but either would make that first day very long.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby optdyl » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 1:23 pm

Firstly, thanks for the response.

north-north-west wrote:And how about getting to the top of Duane Spur (which is Ropers Hut, by the way)? There's no vehicle access. The shortest walk in is via Heathy Spur Track or Watchbed Creek, but either would make that first day very long.

Sorry I just typed out what was in front of me, not thinking about if it made sense or not :lol: The walk starts and finishes at Watchbed Creek and follows the Big River Fire Trail; the first day is listed as 8.5 hours. Having a quick glance at the map it looks like a similar distance on the first day of both walks, but flatter following the Spion Kopje Track.

We'll probably end up doing the 3 night/4 day version just to spend a bit more time in the bush.

Regarding Cleve Cole Hut, I have read that there is a water tank/running water available? Do you know if this is correct?

Enjoy your walk on Friday, and if you feel like it I'd appreciate a trip repot!

dyl
optdyl
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 7:48 pm

The trip report will be written as soon as I've processed a few appropriate photos. Suffice to say it was a marvellous long weekend. Plenty of variety, to say the least.

Yep, the 4 day option is the better one, I feel. It gives you enough time to explore a few of the nearby peaks, like the Nelses, Timms Lookout and Bogong West Peak. Although it seems unbalanced. When I first did that circuit, I started from the boat ramp and went in to Ropers via the Heathy Spur track with a detour over the Nelses. Set up camp there, then along the Fire Trail to a spot directly below Timms lookout, scrambled up the rocks to the top, then followed the ancient snow-pole line back along the ridge. Of course, I always pack up early and get moving while most people are still in their cosy little tents.

Anyway, one thing to beware of: at the moment, Duane Spur is little short of a disaster area. There are so many trees down over the lower half of the track (plus an ungodly amount of thick regrowth) that it took me three hours of very hard work to get to the river from Ropers. Check with VicParks or the local rangers to see whether it's been cleared before you go.
Currently the rest of the route is pretty clear, except for the massive amount of snow. The drifts are still a metre deep in places.. There was obviously a fair bit of trackwork (mainly slashing and chainsawing) done last autumn, and while Quartz Ridge and the Grey Hills are still steep and rough, the routes are far easier to follow than previously.

And yes, there is water at Cleve Cole. There's a sink and tap inside and while the pressure isn't tremendous, it's usable. Saves walking all the way down to the creek. Lovely little hut, actually.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby optdyl » Fri 08 Oct, 2010 5:29 pm

north-north-west wrote:the route is pretty clear, except for the massive amount of snow. The drifts are still a metre deep in places.

I didn't think there would sitll be snow at the end of October, but from your report and this webcam which shows Spion Kopje we may need to take snowshoes (or would the snow be too soft in Spring?!), what do you think? :?

north-north-west wrote:Duane Spur is little short of a disaster area... Check with VicParks or the local rangers to see whether it's been cleared before you go

Will do, but even if not clear will probably still have a crack at it (might have to get up a bit earlier! :lol: )

north-north-west wrote:And yes, there is water at Cleve Cole

Cheers for that! Looking forward to doing the walk :)
optdyl
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 8:14 pm

optdyl wrote:I didn't think there would sitll be snow at the end of October, but from your report and this webcam which shows Spion Kopje we may need to take snowshoes (or would the snow be too soft in Spring?!), what do you think? :?

I could have done the trip without the Yowies, although it would have been a lot harder and slower in places. I would think that in another week or two most of the snow would gone, however. I think leave the snowshoes at home, but be prepared for some awkward going in a few places.

Re Duanes: well,. I got down there, slow though it was. You, however, will be going the other way, which will make it worse. It's doable if you're determined and patient. Just not very pleasant, but then I never have liked Duane Spur.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tcatchy » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 10:42 pm

This would be a good walk
Day 1 Bogong Village - The Springs saddle - Bogong Jack saddle or Little Plain
Day 2 Follow trk and snow pole line to either Ryder's Yards or Cope Hut
Day 3 Follow aqueduct to Kelly's or Fitgeralds hut then on to Edmunsons Hut
Day 4 Then down Duane Spur up T spur to Bogong
Day 5 Around to Quartz Ridge - Bogong saddle - Timm's Lookout - Spion Kopje aqueduct area
Day 6 Down Spion Kopje fire trk to Bogong Village and car (park near the cafe or tennis courts)
Day 7 Depending on fitness its easy to lenghten the walk by a day.

What is the water availability like at Little Plain & Edmunsons Hut and any others that people have recently been to?

I plan on doing this very soon if the stars align
tcatchy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria