Help choosing a 2 man hiking tent

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Help choosing a 2 man hiking tent

Postby crockle » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 5:47 pm

I was jesting.
Should have used some smilies ? :o :o :D
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kalium » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:59 am

For a 4 season tent the specs and price on these look ok,

http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-149-convert-2.aspx
kalium
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Pinky » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 7:57 pm

I have a Vango Tempest 200. I don't intend for it to last more than a couple of years (if that) but it's good enough for two people and better for one. The 'tensioin band system' actually makes a pretty handy clothes line - and when you are one person you can run nylon from the front to the back tension band over where one person would normally sleep which makes a better clothes line.

The vestibule is pretty decent although with the fly open, like on most tunnel tents, the porch will get wet.

The detachable vestibule floor is handy. It's the last thing to go into my pack and helps when packing up the site on wet ground.

Pitching is a bit fiddly - three poles which have to be threaded through the usual slots, then guy ropes and pegs. 14 pegs total to pitch properly. If you're in a real hurry (i.e., med-heavy rain) you can get away with 4-6 pegs. Not if it's windy though, you pretty much want all 14 in. Properly pegged and aligned with the wind it is a good tent in the wind.

Sitting up (I'm 6' tall) is only really possible in the vestibule. The inner is not high enough for me to sit fully upright in which is a bit annoying. The vestibule is room enough to keep your pack to one side, your boots and the front, and enough room to roll back the floor and cook, or sit in - it's a pretty roomy porch.

I really love the colours. Call me superficial but the highlight orange interior makes me happy. That's not a joke, haha. Sounds like it, but it's just a nice, inspiring colour!

Ventilation is good. You can sleep with your head at either end of the tent depending on the slope of the ground and wind - no problem at all. Good space between the inner and fly helps keep the inner dry - but when you go to pack it up you're pretty much stuffed if you use the 'pitch-as-one' feature (inner is attached to the fly pretty much permanently - the hooks that are used aren't really very convenient to detach the fly).

I carry a medium duty tarp as a ground sheet - the floor of the Tempest 200 doesn't fill me with confidence when it comes to sharp objects. Tarps are handy for lean-to's and what have you anyway so I'd probably pack one in my elastic on the front of my pack regardless.
Pinky
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby fishboy » Mon 27 Sep, 2010 8:58 pm

Just looking at the Sierra Designs website, they have this model http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-131-clip ... ght-2.aspx which could be good also...
fishboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby crockle » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 12:23 am

crockle wrote:I had a SD Clip Flashlight tent that just kept on keeping on, for years and years, sometimes well out of its 'comfort zone'

fishboy wrote:Just looking at the Sierra Designs website, they have this model http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-131-clip ... ght-2.aspx which could be good also...

That's the one ! Or the up-to-date version thereof.
crockle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kalium » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 7:20 am

crockle wrote:
crockle wrote:I had a SD Clip Flashlight tent that just kept on keeping on, for years and years, sometimes well out of its 'comfort zone'

fishboy wrote:Just looking at the Sierra Designs website, they have this model http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-131-clip ... ght-2.aspx which could be good also...

That's the one ! Or the up-to-date version thereof.

Heh, that's funny, I actually somehow put in the wrong link there and only just noticed it! Although the CD is a nice looking tent, I meant to put in http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-149-convert-2.aspx :)
kalium
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby zebedee » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new tent too and with the way the US$ is at the moment I might as well try and make the most of it. I have been looking at some of the big American sites like backcountry but any of the gear I tried to buy said they won’t ship it to Australia, anyone any suggestions of some decent sites willing to ship here?
zebedee
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sthughes » Tue 28 Sep, 2010 1:58 pm

Moontrail, REI and Campsaver are the ones I have used. PriceUSA is another option if you really want something from a shop that wont ship to Australia.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 29 Sep, 2010 7:06 pm

(i have a few tents) among which i use a DMH "tasman" ( :lol: ... what's a name anyway!?) but i wouldnt want to put it up in the rain and expect to be too dry.... it is not a single pitch design, but has heaps of room for 2 plus packs etc, inside.... having said that, the vestibule areas are pretty small and rain will get in as mentioned earlier here too... i use this in WA (more of a bug tent and kid enclosure) and it is great HERE... maybe second hand or ex-hire or commercial tents might be worth a thought as a better option just in case you get crummy weather - with a bottle of seam sealer....

also shipito.com ships one off for $8.50 USD plus postage and will give you a US address (among others) to use... u can pay with paypal if u prefer too...

maybe with the ball cap attachment... http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-149-convert-2.aspx... still seems like the extra $ might be worth spendin ( for a new tent) and go the Hilleberg Nallo 3 or similar or go really cheap second hand untill then maybe...
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby sthughes » Wed 29 Sep, 2010 10:49 pm

Liamy77 wrote:also shipito.com ships one off for $8.50 USD plus postage and will give you a US address (among others) to use... u can pay with paypal if u prefer too...

Bit off topic I know, but have you used them personally? Are they good to deal with?
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jellybean » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 8:48 am

sthughes wrote:
Liamy77 wrote:also shipito.com ships one off for $8.50 USD plus postage and will give you a US address (among others) to use... u can pay with paypal if u prefer too...

Bit off topic I know, but have you used them personally? Are they good to deal with?

Hi sthughes,

I've used them a lot, they're good to deal with. One of the advantages with using them is that, depending on what it is you are trying to send here, they normally offer a range of postage options. If you're not in a hurry, you can choose the cheapest (but slower) option. Shipping costs on some US websites are hideous (e.g., they may only offer a Fedex or UPS option and these prices may beefed up), this allows you to get around that (certainly for smaller items).

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 9:20 am

Cool thanks, good to know :wink:
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 9:58 am

I used them once, no dramas. Mine was an assisted purchase through them (from an ebay seller) and cost more for the service (% of item cost from memory). This was a good option as I couldn't purchase Or have it shipped.As jb said, they are also just a good option where your seller is charging excessive postage
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Liamy77 » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 3:46 pm

just the one package .... saved a LOT of $... payed with paypal and sent it snail mail cheaply with no worries.
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby Pinky » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 5:26 pm

Just FYI another site I've had good experience with is http://www.priceusa.com.au/
Pinky
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Explorer_Sam » Wed 04 Apr, 2012 10:18 pm

Our two-man tent is the Outer Limits Backpacker tent. Fantastic and not too expensive.....
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gangry » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 4:22 pm

Anybody used the Darche Hornet? I just bought one, it is a two man (generous length and width, I am 6'3" and 112kg.....so need the length and the width so the wife can fit). It weighs 2.5kg, probably the only downside I can see at the moment is there is not much vestibule space.
Yet to use it, but it appears to be well made (Darche are Australian and I think this is Australian made).
Hopefully it will do what we need for the overland track in December.
Andy.
Relative newby to distance walking.
Gangry
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Previous

Return to Equipment