Royal National Park - Wildlife photos

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Royal National Park - Wildlife photos

Postby eddie the eagle » Wed 22 Sep, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi All,

Just a couple of photos worth sharing.

I was in the Royal National Park a couple of weekends ago, and came across the biggest yabby I've ever seen. Obviously I won't say where - just in case someone goes shopping for them.

the biggest yabby I have seen 250mm plus long.jpg

As well, there was more than one - there's three yabbies and the eel in this photo. THe smallest yabby in this photo is a standard-sized one and it quickly lost the fight.

P9120077.JPG

P9120111.JPG

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Royal National Park - Wildlife photos

Postby WarrenH » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 1:57 pm

Eddie, good stuff. How big are these Blue Claws, could you tell?

I'm guessing that the Yabbie in the photo is about 5-6 years old. Yabbies will normally survive/live in good conditions of much territory and good shelter, up to 7 years. Some have been known to be 12 years. I have seen a report of a life span of Yabbies up to 20 years.

The Yabby in the shot is a beautiful looking Yabby, it has excellent colouring. I've seen Yabbies in streams in the Blue Mountains as red as cooked Lobsters. Truly extraordinary.

My Blue Claws that I keep at home, have the similar red marginata. On Tim Brennan's site 'Bushwalking NSW' at the bottom of the home page, in 'Cannyoning' Tim has a photo of an all red-orange Yabby taken in one of the Blue Mountains' Canyons, see 2002/2003 Du Faur Creek Canyon. This gives a good comparison to what you saw.

I like Yabbies, I keep Yabbies as a hobby. I name them all, like all family pets get named. They are my beloved pets ... until they are pan sized at about 200-260 grams.

I watch my Yabbies' diet closely. Being both omnivorous and serious cannibals, yet the literature most often calls them herbivorous, and they are herbivorous, that will eat out mega pond weed and any rotting vegetation pronto ... if you want to catch a Yabbie, use a bit of pear. For years I thought that the best baits were, raw meat, raw prawn, blood worms, fish meal, carrots or peas (the latter baits carefully sinkered down).

... but just recently I tried some over-ripe pear. Yabbies do prefer rotting vegetation. Giving them the pear created a take-no-prisoners battle in one of my tanks between all of the Yabbies, fighting all at once, for a one cubic cm bit of pear.

If you catch Yabbies on NSW Crown Lands, having a NSW recreational fishing licence is recommend. About $30 per year, and cheaper for several years. The bag limit is 200 per day or 200 saved. The legal traps are on the Fisheries' site. There is no legal size limit for Yabbies in NSW, which I think is totally wrong. If they aren't over 12cm length overall ... do toss them back.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby eddie the eagle » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi Warren,

THanks for the info - I wasn't aware of some of that, I always thought they were mainly meat-eaters. Makes sense otherwise when you think about it.

The twig underneath is about 3mm round. THe claws were about 1.5" to 2" long at a guess.

Yabby was 250mm to 300mm long

I've been in the bush for a while, and haven't seen them this size before.

Cheers,

eddie
Last edited by eddie the eagle on Fri 24 Sep, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby stepbystep » Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:03 pm

Nice one Eddie, but I can't help recall a story from my childhood in WA.

Over there we called Yabbies Joolgies(no idea why) and my older brother had his secret spots where he would bring back 20 or 30(king prawn size) for a big family feast, but at the age of 10 I discovered a creek in thick scrub that held marron - these babies grew as big as a size crayfish! My sixteen year old brother would spend all day catching 30 Joolgies and I would disappear for an hour and bring back 3 or 4 seriously large marron - the poor bugger! I never told him where I got them, sadly now a housing estate has been built over the area and the creek is now a stormwater ditch!
Progress huh.....??
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby DanH » Fri 24 Sep, 2010 11:56 am

WarrenH wrote: I like Yabbies, I keep Yabbies as a hobby. I name them all, like all family pets get named. They are my beloved pets ... until they are pan sized at about 200-260 grams.

I watch my Yabbies' diet closely. Being both omnivorous and serious cannibals, yet the literature most often calls them herbivorous, and they are herbivorous, that will eat out mega pond weed and any rotting vegetation pronto ... if you want to catch a Yabbie, use a bit of pear. For years I thought that the best baits were, raw meat, raw prawn, blood worms, fish meal, carrots or peas (the latter baits carefully sinkered down).

... but just recently I tried some over-ripe pear. Yabbies do prefer rotting vegetation. Giving them the pear created a take-no-prisoners battle in one of my tanks between all of the Yabbies, fighting all at once, for a one cubic cm bit of pear.

If you catch Yabbies on NSW Crown Lands, having a NSW recreational fishing licence is recommend. About $30 per year, and cheaper for several years. The bag limit is 200 per day or 200 saved. The legal traps are on the Fisheries' site. There is no legal size limit for Yabbies in NSW, which I think is totally wrong. If they aren't over 12cm length overall ... do toss them back.

brilliant info there Warren... We often see blue ones in Lamington
experience comes after stuffing up - stuffing up comes after having a go - having a go comes after I get off the computer!
DanH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby iandsmith » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 8:29 pm

Wow, everything you wanted to know about yabbies but were afraid to ask! Fascinating.
Thanks for the info and pics. I, too, have seen the beautiful blue ones at Lamington. How could I forget. I was trying to shoot one when my expensive camera bag did a backflip off a rock (score 7 out of 10) and dunked my telephoto lens etc. Not happy.
Frightened one I was getting really close to so I only ended up with a second rate shot of another, as included.
Cheers all
Attachments
Binna Burra - Lamington NP 103.jpg
Looks tasty
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Fri 29 Oct, 2010 2:09 pm

Knew I had a couple of slightly better shots somewhere!
Attachments
Binna Burra - Lamington NP 112.jpg
It was just after this my camera bag fell in the river
Binna Burra - Lamington NP 114.jpg
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Gallery