walls of jerusalem trip report

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

walls of jerusalem trip report

Postby ant_eater » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 6:04 pm

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX1ijrhy42g&hd=1

In the first week of December myself and 9 other of my year 11 cohorts came down from Darwin for a walk around the walls of Jerusalem. The walk lasted 6 days hoping to see what most of the walls had to offer, and it was amazing. We had a wide range of weather thrown at us displaying how quickly it can change (which we had been told about).

Day 1: On the drive to the car park the weather looked quite ominous with grey skies and drizzle teasing us most of the way until we approached the starting point where it cleared surprisingly quickly. We started the notorious (so we were told) ascent up first section through open eucalypt forest and by god did it live up to its name. After we stopped for morning tea at Trappers Hut we took the track to the left to Tiger Lake which was pretty impressive where I saw my first pencil pines which I had been dying to see. With the help of GPS we found solitary hut which was very interesting and then finally headed off to wild dog creek camp site through a long, boggy valley (I can’t remember the name of the creek) again with the aid of GPS where we spent our first cold night.

Day 2: Day 2 was very pleasant as we walked through the main walls at a slow pace taking lots of photos quite literally stunned at the scenery. We walked past the Pool of Bethesda and descended down to Dixons Kingdom Hut where we had lunch and set up out tents. Then we trudged up Mount Jerusalem admiring the numerous lakes and interesting flora along the way before heading back to our campsite. We were treated with clear blue skies and heat the whole day.

Day 3: We woke to dark, grey skies and light drizzle which enhanced the mystique and ambience of the pencil pine forest. We slept in to about 10am that morning as our only activity was to climb Solomon’s throne. And despite the weather, we did. We trudged up the long steps to find the summit whited out. We did however catch a few glimpses of the surrounding area which was incredible before heading back to Dixons kingdom for another cold night. It rained the whole Day and only topped 11 degrees at Dixons kingdom (we could see our breath the whole day which was exiting).

Day 4: Again we woke to drizzle and a strong wind blowing. We headed off quite early as this would be a long day. We started walking down a gentle slope through an open valley on the edge of the rainforest and wow was it a sight watching the mist floating through the valley. We then headed into what I think was one of the most beautiful places on the walk, a mossy pencil pine forest with streams running everywhere; I was almost in disbelief at the sight. I almost expected Bear Grylls to run out from behind a tree with his film crew. We passed Lake Ball where I saw some extremely impressive "fagus" TREES! (Emphasis on the 'TREE' because I only expected shrub-like plants but these were full trees) i was so excited because I had heard these were the only native deciduous trees in Australia! Which i tried explaining to my friends but they didn’t really care lol. Then we passed yet another lake, 'Lake Adelaide' which was a real drag and really tested on my patience. Then yet another Boggy section which felt like it was grinding my ankles, and then finally the welcomed sight of lake Meston, which then went on for a lot longer than i had first anticipated. I quite literally dropped my pack and dropped to the ground despite the leeches. It rained all day with a few patches of shot lived sunshine towards the end. The whole walk took 7 hours.

Day 5: The walk started with a steep ascent which was annoying lol, but soon flattened out and was mostly flat the whole way. We were all still buggered from the previous days walk which slowed us down a bit. Some sections were tricky to navigate but thanks to cairns we managed to press onwards towards the spectacular lake myrtle. After a quick stop for photos and lunch we then headed off to Lake Bill. On the way we got confused about where to go so we just decided to follow a creek and bash through some tussock grass plains to Lake Bill. It was sad to see so much fire damage and it looked like almost all the pencil pines were wiped out. We walked around the shores of Lake Bill where we found our 5th and final camp site. We had a little rain in the morning which cleared mostly in the afternoon.

Day 6: We woke to thick fog with visibility to about 10m, we could not see the lake at all and it looked very eerie. And so we packed and stated walking for the last time which was very sad i must say. The final descent did not agree with the knees and feet but was certainly better than the walk up. We sat at the car park and waited for our bus all feeling sad that the trip had ended but with a great sense of achievement also.

The trip was easily the best thing I have ever done and holds the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen and I will definitely get back there soon.

DSCF0357.JPG
Tiger Lake

076.JPG

DSCF0443.JPG

DSCF0436.JPG
King Davids Peak from Mount Jerusalem

015.JPG
Solitary Hut
Last edited by ant_eater on Sat 22 Jan, 2011 3:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
ant_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Northern Territory

Re: walls of jerusalem trip report

Postby ant_eater » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 6:16 pm

119.JPG
Dixons Kindom Hut in the rain

129.JPG
Lake Salome from Solomonds Throne

DSCF0453.JPG
Mystical alpine setting

P1020265.JPG
Amazing forest on the way to lake ball

159.JPG
Lake Meston
ant_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ant_eater » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 6:31 pm

DSCF0469.JPG
A small fagus tree near lake ball hut

P1020270.JPG
Approaching lake ball

147.JPG

DSCF0476.JPG
Lake myrtle

193.JPG
Lake Bill
ant_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 6:57 pm

ant-eater this is a well written informative trip report hope you do manage to return and experience better weather in this fantastic area well done :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Haydynb » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 9:19 pm

Great report...Did the walls last January - it is truely one of the most beutiful spots on our Island, if not the world.

One day, I will go back!
Haydynb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ant_eater » Sat 18 Dec, 2010 1:21 am

P1020339.JPG
A brief but nice glimpse of Lake Bill

DSCF0497.JPG

P1020345.JPG
Blizzard Plains
ant_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Sat 18 Dec, 2010 7:58 am

Fantastic read, great to see you had such fun in such a spectacular place.

This had me chuckling -
we could see our breath the whole day which was exiting
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby ant_eater » Sat 18 Dec, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks tasadam it really was one of, if not the best experiences ive ever had.
ant_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ant_eater » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 1:29 pm

corvus wrote:ant-eater this is a well written informative trip report hope you do manage to return and experience better weather in this fantastic area well done :)
corvus

i think i actually prefered walking in the rain lol because the sun there is so suprisingly powerful (when it does comes out)
Last edited by ant_eater on Mon 20 Dec, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 4:09 pm

That's probably the best photo of Dixon's I've seen. Impressive from one so young.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ant_eater » Thu 30 Dec, 2010 3:26 am

Wow such high praise, thank you.
ant_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bluewombat » Thu 30 Dec, 2010 8:11 am

Great report. Lovely photography, you really captured the essence of the place and you are all smiling. Well done.
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nick S » Fri 07 Jan, 2011 9:58 am

nice report and photos. glad you enjoyed it, must've been a pretty big contrast from Darwin scenery!
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ant_eater » Fri 07 Jan, 2011 10:38 pm

Yes, definately haha. Used to all the rain though
ant_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Peaksnik » Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:17 pm

After my first trip to the WoJ at the beginning of the month (we started out New Year's Day) I have to agree that it is a very special place. The views from Mt Jerusalem are quite wonderful with so many elements of the panorama beckoning for a close-up visit.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in another post but two newly installed toilets are now open for business at Dixon's Kingdom.

I understand that this is an area that attracts heavy visitation so the installation certainly makes sense. We camped at Wild Dog Creek and did day walks as recommended by Parks. The upside was that we got to do the magical walk along the upper valley both ways for 3 days. The downside was that all the tent platforms were in use including the commercial site and at times it was a little noisy - maybe it was just the New Year's period?. When I go back (I'm considering a winter visit) I plan to camp at Dixon's instead.
Peaksnik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Genesis » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 8:34 am

Peaksnik,

Well if park and wildlife have installed a permanent toilet at Dixons hut, the question goes begging will they start to condone camping at the hut and maybe even construct platforms for the masses. Personally I hope not but
with a toilet there now seems logical to me.

Genesis
Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ant_eater » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 5:44 pm

Peaksnik wrote:After my first trip to the WoJ at the beginning of the month (we started out New Year's Day) I have to agree that it is a very special place. The views from Mt Jerusalem are quite wonderful with so many elements of the panorama beckoning for a close-up visit.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in another post but two newly installed toilets are now open for business at Dixon's Kingdom.

I understand that this is an area that attracts heavy visitation so the installation certainly makes sense. We camped at Wild Dog Creek and did day walks as recommended by Parks. The upside was that we got to do the magical walk along the upper valley both ways for 3 days. The downside was that all the tent platforms were in use including the commercial site and at times it was a little noisy - maybe it was just the New Year's period?. When I go back (I'm considering a winter visit) I plan to camp at Dixon's instead.

We weren't expecting there to be any toilets at Dixons Kingdom as i remember so they were certainly a welcomed luxury as i was a little sic that day :?
Bit drafty because of the GIGANTIC gaps between the floor and the walls lol but other than that, really good toilets.
ant_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 5:50 pm

I suspect the "gaps" are natural extractor fans :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus