Tang: the thirst wrencher?

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Tang: the thirst wrencher?

Postby gaz0303 » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 9:30 pm

+ 1 for Endura. Usually mix it at half strength. The other product I have started to try is Torq. Both give carbs as well as salts. I have also used home-made recipes following google searches but can't get the taste to compete with these products. Easy recipe is watered down juice (50/50) with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Just remember to wash your bottles out well. Mould loves a sugar.
gaz0303
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Snowzone » Wed 13 Apr, 2011 12:36 pm

north-north-west wrote:Staminade's cheaper. I always carry some in summer & autumn.
I also carry Staminade in the cooler weather and drink it as a hot drink. Puts the zing back in your step in no time. :wink:
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 13 Apr, 2011 12:52 pm

I love Tang but it has become harder to find here in Vic. The lemon one always...

The Vitafresh is around so we tend to take it now instead. Not sure if either of them adds much value nutrition / energy wise but it is a nice change from just plain water!
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby msw » Thu 05 May, 2011 12:10 am

I loved taking tang on my walks but noticed that it had disappeared in late 2010. I emailled Kraft and they said it had been discontinued. I am guessing that it wasn't selling well enough. Why else would they stop it.

I have converted to the 3 flavours of gatorade powder. One of the great things about tang was that 1 teaspoonful in hot water was a really nice drink as well.

It seems that Tang is still produced for the Indian market. I have no idea if it is the same recipe as the Tang sold here.

happy walking,
matt, Hobart.
msw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby vagrom » Thu 05 May, 2011 11:28 pm

Tang, made in China, taken off the market ...and they wouldn't elaborate?
Yeah, maybe it just wasn't selling...
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby walkinTas » Thu 12 May, 2011 10:15 pm

walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vagrom » Sun 15 May, 2011 5:04 pm

And they thought they could get away. HAH!

( Where next...,Lichtenstein? Nice work Schmart.)
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby vagrom » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 4:31 pm

Great news: Tang is back in the shops! Just head down to your local Middle Eastern Grocery and it's there, Orange and Mango only, 1/2 kg family sized jars, now out of Bahrain and experiencing $1 billion sales worldwide (google: Tang drink Bahrain). Don't know if it's back on local shelves. It is in fact, a fruit drink and still going gangbusters.

Nope. None at Coles or Woolies. Perhaps it's off Aussie shelves for (the common) good. Just packs of Kiwi Vitafresh still, Lime or Mango, with a much less chemical looking cocktail of ingredients.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby John Sheridan » Wed 14 Dec, 2011 2:13 am

If you want an Alternative to tang try this: Vitafresh Navel Orange Powder Cordial, it tastes like watered down orange juice, pretty nice, I bought mine from woolworths, it comes in a three pack, enough or three litres.

I bought me enough for Ten homemade MRES.

Cheers.

/PS Also comes in Lime and mango as well.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rick » Fri 20 Jan, 2012 7:26 pm

I buy Powerade powder in the plastic container and then transfer it to zip lock bags! One rounded scoopful of their provided scoop goes into 250ml of water!

Does the job for me! :D
Rick
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby icemancometh » Mon 23 Jan, 2012 10:18 am

If you all want electrolytes Hammer Nutrtition make tablets so you don't have to mess up your bottles/bladders and get to drink water too!

Disclaimer: I have not tried this product before but am considering it for the above reasons
icemancometh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ignavus davus » Sat 28 Jan, 2012 3:19 pm

Re Hydralite vs. Staminade/powerade/gatorade....It is comparing apples to oranges....Hydralite is more for treatment of dehydration where the others are MUCH more diluted versions for maintaining hydration during activity, hence the much higher price of hydralite. You wouldn't drink hydralite all day as your main drink but I can highly recommend carrying it in a first aid kit to treat dehydration. Once you are dehydrated the others won't come close to being as effective as hydralite.

Re. Tang....I used to like carrying the lemon tang, but have only been able to find the orange and orange/mango ones lately. I find vitafresh has an odd taste. Both are fine with a bit of added vodka though......
ignavus davus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby vagrom » Wed 15 Feb, 2012 7:20 pm

An interesting piece in The Epoch Times Nov30-Dec 6, 2011 p.12 : " Water School: Clean Water for All ".

(In Africa)... "They teach people to put water into clear plastic bottles and leave it in the direct sun for a day or in clouded sun for two days. The ultra violet light kills bacteria and the water is safe to drink. This process is called solar disinfection. Ultraviolet light kills bacteria. There is no shortage of clear plastic bottles anyplace in the world.

...The results are startling. When Water School returns to a village they find 86 per cent retention. Children that were sick and dying are healthy and back in school.

... Simon stated: "Bob found an organisation in Switzerland that had used this system. He found that bacteria will be killed if exposed to the sun for six hours in daylight or two days in clouds. It works 35 degrees north and south of the equator where the sun is brightest. That is only a 70 degree band. It is where most problems of contaminated water occur."

A question often asked concerns leaching of chemicals out of the clear plastic bottles. Simon explains: "That is a myth. Everybody drinks out of clear plastic bottles. There is no leaching from bottles placed in the sun. We've done extensive testing. If there is a percentage that does occur over time it is 1/16th of the WHO standards. People have heard these myths; this is not like putting plastic in a microwave.

......."
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby walk2wineries » Fri 21 Sep, 2012 9:03 pm

JB[/quote]
G'day Jellybean,
Do you know how much Magnesium is in this product and what type it is ? 19g of Staminade has 0.1mmol of Magnesium Sulphate in a 350 ml drink (whatever that means :? )
For what it is worth several years ago I discovered that Calcium & Magnesium tablets work a treat for Cramps and have been taking two every day since I believe they also help increase my bone strength which is good in an ageing body :)
corvus[/quote]

Hmm. This is quite a handy reference http://www.australianprescriber.com/mag ... 0/4/102/5/
Suggests minimum daily intake is 0.25mMol, or 6mg, per kg bodyweight - about 420mg , or 17.5mMol daily for the average 70kg bloke. So 0.1mMol sounds pretty trivial - and really, the electrolytes in most "sports drinks" are barely existent. The injectable dose of Magnesium is usually 10mMol (2.4 g of MgS04)..........
I occasionally (when I remember) take Mg supplements for cramp - the only ones with useful amounts of Mg in them are huge.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob A » Sun 30 Sep, 2012 6:59 pm

Whats wrong with just eating properly.
If you dont train on the stuff its not much good for one off occasions.
If you train properly you wont be buying into the CCA Pepsi beverage wars.

On topic, if you like the taste of tang drink it, in moderation, just like gingernut biscuits.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby corvus » Sun 30 Sep, 2012 7:53 pm

Rob A wrote:Whats wrong with just eating properly.
If you dont train on the stuff its not much good for one off occasions.
If you train properly you wont be buying into the CCA Pepsi beverage wars.

On topic, if you like the taste of tang drink it, in moderation, just like gingernut biscuits.

G'day Rob A ,
Not really sure about the point you are attempting to make here :?: :)
I thought this topic was about drinks not food nor training , I believe Tang is no longer available and you can never have enough Gingernut Biscuits IMHO :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker