Cable car- Mt Roland

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Roland cont.

Postby taswegian » Wed 16 Mar, 2011 8:45 pm

Roland_.000.jpg
unkown flowers

Roland_.003.jpg
one of several striking fungi

This was really beautiful but difficult to photograph yet alone get near
Roland_.004.jpg
a striking display

Roland_.jpg
track beauty

The lower part of the 'new track' is now regaining a measure of real beauty. No longer is it a bush road pushed in by a dozer.
Certainly a walk full of most of what makes our Tasy bush so endearing.
Sassafras, gums, musks, cheesewood, and many minor species, lillies, fungi etc. Oh and stinging nettle - plenty of!!
For those not able to or just wanting some time in the bush, this walk along the slopes of Van Dyke is highly recommended. There is water available in several side creeks.
(We did drink it - but thats an option for you to decide at time)

Probably should have posted elsewhere but it seemed more fitting here.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Cable car- Mt Roland

Postby Speculator » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 11:09 pm

Nice photos Taswegian.

This is an awfully long thread for something that is very clearly an impossible, economically unfeasible pipe dream. We'll have a bridge to the mainland first.

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Dave-1 » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 7:10 pm

Howdie folks let me say
I live on the slopes of Roland and I say lets put up a Cable car, Lets built a road, Lets put a resturant on top, lets track the track to Minnow Falls With a counter balanced Platform to view the falls. Lets track and step the track to the deadmansdrop falls on the back of Mt Claude (sorry my name) with a round trip up the back of Roland. Lets remark properly the Innes track to the west. Lets relive the mining heritage of Lorrina, Moina, Cethana and Gowrie park, there is an old silver mine in the Claude Road area. Let us be proud of our Heritage. Let us be proud of our past!!!!!LET US SHOUT IT TO THE WORLD. let us give our kids a future.
Let me also say that visitors still flock by the thousands to Corrinna, Cradle Mountian etc and many others Though by somes definition these have been trashed.
I say Go For It. I also say get rid of Sheffield Council but thats a subject for another forum some place else.
Wacko the diddlio just keep on walking
Last edited by Dave-1 on Wed 06 Apr, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave-1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sthughes » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 11:24 am

A cable car up Roland wouldn't bother me if it was done right and you couldn't see it without really looking. But it probably would be done to stand out (maybe safety orange cars would attract more tourists?) so I'm tentatively against it depending on design. Either way, like Speculator, I think a bridge over Bass Strait might come first.

I reckon a 100k/h roller-coaster going up that winds around the trees and through the scree could be built inconspicuously. Then the worlds longest and fastest water slide back down, once again winding through the trees to give a greater sense of speed and danger whilst hiding it from view. Whatever it is it's gotta be the worlds fastest/biggest/highest/stupidest to really attract tourists :D

Helicopters are what really annoy me. It felt like the Gold Coast last time I was at Cradle, there were helicopters coming in low and making a racket every few minutes. At least cable cars are quiet. Perhaps now that NATO is running out of things to blow up in Libya they could start on a no-fly-zone at Cradle :evil:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Speculator » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 11:32 am

sthughes wrote:Helicopters are what really annoy me. It felt like the Gold Coast last time I was at Cradle, there were helicopters coming in low and making a racket every few minutes. At least cable cars are quiet. Perhaps now that NATO is running out of things to blow up in Libya they could start on a no-fly-zone at Cradle :evil:

Ooooh, and I thought this thread was finished! Now you've opened up a new can of worms! Watch them queue up for a bit of chopper-bashing now! :lol:

L8r.
---
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 1:45 pm

Mt Roland is about the right size and shape to become a canvas for Australia's version of Mt Rushmore. It could be sculptured into the heads of Julia, John, Paul and Bob. At least then we'd have another way to get up the PM's nose.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby ghosta » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 3:52 pm

Tasmania has suffered greatly as a result of the shutdown of the timber industry and its true to say the effects have not yet been felt by the Tasmanian community at large yet, but it sure is coming. One of the arguments often used was if we stop logging then we can attract tourists to our state to enjoy our forested areas. The cable car development is one proposed project that can do exactly that. We need a lot more similar developments done in a careful manner, and it MUST happen....otherwise we will have to go back to logging.
Cant have your cake and eat it too!
ghosta
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 3:56 pm

One : what do Federal Politics have to do with this Post ??
Two : For the uninitiated there are already two distinct "heads" on Roland and Vandyke ,Roland a person in repose on the right hand slope and Vandyke another in full repose on top.
Three: Leave the Mountains as they are.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 4:09 pm

ghosta wrote:Tasmania has suffered greatly as a result of the shutdown of the timber industry and its true to say the effects have not yet been felt by the Tasmanian community at large yet, but it sure is coming. One of the arguments often used was if we stop logging then we can attract tourists to our state to enjoy our forested areas. The cable car development is one proposed project that can do exactly that. We need a lot more similar developments done in a careful manner, and it MUST happen....otherwise we will have to go back to logging.

There must be other ways for Tasmania to survive, apart from just logging and tourism. Not that I have any idea about such things myself, but surely there must be some other types of business we could participate in?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 4:27 pm

Our Mineral wealth perhaps
Son of a Beach wrote:
ghosta wrote:Tasmania has suffered greatly as a result of the shutdown of the timber industry and its true to say the effects have not yet been felt by the Tasmanian community at large yet, but it sure is coming. One of the arguments often used was if we stop logging then we can attract tourists to our state to enjoy our forested areas. The cable car development is one proposed project that can do exactly that. We need a lot more similar developments done in a careful manner, and it MUST happen....otherwise we will have to go back to logging.

There must be other ways for Tasmania to survive, apart from just logging and tourism. Not that I have any idea about such things myself, but surely there must be some other types of business we could participate in?

Our Mineral Wealth perhaps :?:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby frenchy_84 » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 4:30 pm

corvus wrote:Our Mineral Wealth perhaps :?:

HAHA Goodluck
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby sthughes » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 4:37 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:There must be other ways for Tasmania to survive, apart from just logging and tourism. Not that I have any idea about such things myself, but surely there must be some other types of business we could participate in?
How about pulp production? Whoops no I guess that's no good either :roll:

corvus wrote:One : what do Federal Politics have to do with this Post ??
Two : For the uninitiated there are already two distinct "heads" on Roland and Vandyke ,Roland a person in repose on the right hand slope and Vandyke another in full repose on top.
Three: Leave the Mountains as they are.
corvus
One: Someone get out of the wrong side of the bed?
Two: Huh?
Three: Don't we have to mine the mountains for mineral wealth?
:wink:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drifting » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 5:49 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Mt Roland is about the right size and shape to become a canvas for Australia's version of Mt Rushmore. It could be sculptured into the heads of Julia, John, Paul and Bob. At least then we'd have another way to get up the PM's nose.

Naw- let's just put the Yanks faces on there.

My wife wants to know if we could just put their bottoms up there.....
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby Drifting » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 5:52 pm

corvus wrote:Three: Leave the Mountains as they are.
corvus

Pshaw! What a ludicrous suggest.

NOOOOOOOO.................

We need to put a Luge up there! We can get the Jamacian bobsled team!

Mt Roland- the Amusement Rock!
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby Speculator » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 9:35 pm

Tassie has an untapped wealth of a resource that's found in more abundance here than anywhere else on the planet!... Bogans!

We could export them to other more liberal minded countries to restore the balance with some of their extreme right-wing opinion. Or we could cast them in carbonite - Han Solo style - and export them to other countries to be sold as uniquely Aussie garden ornaments! Or failing that, maybe we can get the Japanese off eating Whale by tempting them with some nicely fattened bogans!

Of course, there are some drawbacks to that. Firstly, without all the bogans, Chigwell, Ravenswood, East Devonport, Shorewell etc. would become deserted ghost towns. And Alan Jones and Pauline Hanson would be out of a job... and we'd have to find a new Prime Minister. Hang on... did I say drawbacks?... I meant added bonuses! ;)

L8r.
---
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Mount Roland Cableway gains approval to commence lease & lic

Postby Mt_Roland_Cable_Car » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 9:11 am

"A long-discussed plan to construct a cableway up Mount Roland has finally cleared its first regulatory hurdle.

The state government announced on Monday the project had been given the green light to commence lease and licence negotiations."

from https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/59 ... way/?cs=12

Previously:

"The expression of interest served as a request for the government to grant consent for Mr Carman and his fellow proponents to use the Mount Roland Regional Reserve, which is on crown land.

If the state government grants consent to the usage of the land, the development proposal is designed around the construction of the cableway and its use to access a mountain bike park.

The cableway will climb the mountain's western face to just below a summit which is otherwise unassailable for many visitors.

The cableway's base station is proposed for the south-western corner of Silver Ridge Retreat; a farm stay accommodation owned by Mr Carman's father-in-law John Sinclair.

Originally based in Sydney, Mr Carman and his wife came to Tasmania in 2013.

That was shortly before the owner of local business Tasmazia and long-time proponent of the cableway Brian Inder had approached Mr Sinclair. "

from https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/59 ... stination/
Mt_Roland_Cable_Car
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mt_Roland_Cable_Car » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 8:03 am

If you are of the opinion that Mt. Roland and it's nearby Mt. Claude and Mt. Van Dyke should be left as is, for bushwalkers to enjoy in their peace, for landowners to be free of visual pollution, additional litter, additional traffic on narrow roads, more chance of invasive weeds being spread, additional erosion due to the large number of mountain bike tracks being proposed, First Nations people lands being abused, Crown land being effectively gifted, no mention of who pays for road changes, road maintenance, mountain bike track maintenance, then please join the Mt. Roland Preservation Society on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Mt-Roland-Preservation-Society-396290747870629/
Mt_Roland_Cable_Car
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Tasmania