Mt Cougal/Springbrook

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Cougal/Springbrook

Postby Pteropus » Thu 19 May, 2011 8:24 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is a route along the Qld/NSW border, or there abouts, from Mt Cougal up to Springbrook Mountain? A friend of mine suggested we do this, however I have the topo in front of me and the terrain looks STEEP around Mt Thillinmam, to the east of Springbrook Mountain (there are cliffs). According to my friend, there is a route up the mountain, though she is unsure of its position and I am hesitant to commit to some serious off track route finding in that terrian at this time of year, when it gets dark in the forest very quickly. Is this idea as crazy as it looks or has anyone here done it before? (I have the Daly’s “Take a walk in SEQ” track notes to the Cougals from Tomewin Rd on the eastern Currumbin Valley side)
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Re: Mt Cougal/Springbrook

Postby isoma » Thu 19 May, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi Pteropus,
There is a route from the Cougals and up to Springbrook.
As you've mentioned the most common way to get to the Cougals is off the Tomewin Rd via the Garden of Eden Rd and simply follow the border fence up to East Peak.
After that it gets interesting ... completely off track from West Peak down to the Tallebudgera valley. This deviates from the actual border - I've heard of parties attempting to find a direct route from West Peak to Mt Thillinmam but to my knowledge cliffs inevitably bar the way. From the Tallebudgera valley there is a fairly straight forward route up to the plateau and on to Thillinman via the Cream Track.
Doing that trip one way would be a fairly solid effort, requiring quite a long car shuffle.
If you want extra details let me know.

isoma
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Pteropus » Fri 20 May, 2011 8:38 am

Hi isoma,
Thanks for the reply. Any extra details would be helpful if you can PM them to me please.
Cheers
Andrew (aka Pteropus)
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby isoma » Sat 21 May, 2011 12:37 am

Hi Pteropus,
a fairly long winded PM has been sent.
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pteropus » Sat 21 May, 2011 1:43 pm

Cheers mate, reply sent.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pteropus » Sat 28 May, 2011 8:45 pm

I finally got up onto Mount Cougal today. The original plan had originally been to walk off track from Springbrook, down to the Tullbudgera Valley, then onto the Cougals and out to Tomewin Road. However, somewhere in the planning some non-hiking types got invited along and plans were changed to just do the Cougals the regular way, along the border from Tomewin Rd. We did explore the cave near the summit of the Mount Cougal East Peak, and then made our way to the summit. Unfortunately the non-hiking types didn’t want to go any further (they did well to get that far, but I think they would have rather admired the mountain from the valley below, without the walking), and we had to give up any plans of crossing to the West Peak. There are plans in the making for a future full traverse from Springbrook....stay tuned!
Attachments
018 West Cougal from East Cougal.JPG
West Cougal from East Cougal
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drifting » Sun 29 May, 2011 12:27 pm

More pics please! I always wanted to do that hike, but we moved from there before I could get to it.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Pteropus » Sun 29 May, 2011 5:05 pm

I didn’t take a whole lot of photos but here are some more Drifting, since you asked so nicely :D
Attachments
005 Mount Cougal.JPG
Last of the early morning cloud burning off Mt Cougal
008 Sarah and friends checking out some tree.JPG
Admiring a large tree on border fence (I am 99% sure it is Sloanea woollsii from its characteristic convex plank buttresses and from what I could see of the leaves). Tree is in NSW, people are in Qld
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drifting » Sun 29 May, 2011 7:50 pm

wow- what a magical tree! Thanks!
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Postby tas-man » Fri 10 Jun, 2011 11:23 pm

isoma wrote:Hi Pteropus,
<snip> From the Tallebudgera valley there is a fairly straight forward route up to the plateau and on to Thillinman via the Cream Track.
Doing that trip one way would be a fairly solid effort, requiring quite a long car shuffle.

isoma

Hi guys, I took a group along this route back in 1974 and noted details on my 1971 Springbrook map if you need any more information. We went up in 5 hours with a lot of track clearing through lantana, and back down in 2 hours. Back then in bushwalking circles we also referred to this track as the 'Jeep Track" and the history as I recollect from locals in the Tallebudgera valley was that it was constructed as a horse track to bring milk and cream from Springbrook to the coast via the Tallebudgera Creek road. During the Second World War, a US Army jeep was driven up the track for a bet. The track work was well preserved inside the rainforest when I walked it then, and I would be interested to hear how much is still evident. There was a detailed article "East of Springbrook" on walks in this area, in UQBWC's "Heybob' magazine some time in the 1970's, written by Harley Smith whose parents farmed a property in the Tallebudgera Valley. The bushwalking community was privileged to be able to camp on their property beside Tallebudgera Creek when running trips into this region.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pteropus » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 5:19 pm

tas-man wrote:
<snip> From the Tallebudgera valley there is a fairly straight forward route up to the plateau and on to Thillinman via the Cream Track.

isoma

Hi guys, I took a group along this route back in 1974 and noted details on my 1971 Springbrook map if you need any more information. We went up in 5 hours with a lot of track clearing through lantana, and back down in 2 hours. Back then in bushwalking circles we also referred to this track as the 'Jeep Track" and the history as I recollect from locals in the Tallebudgera valley was that it was constructed as a horse track to bring milk and cream from Springbrook to the coast via the Tallebudgera Creek road. During the Second World War, a US Army jeep was driven up the track for a bet. The track work was well preserved inside the rainforest when I walked it then, and I would be interested to hear how much is still evident. There was a detailed article "East of Springbrook" on walks in this area, in UQBWC's "Heybob' magazine some time in the 1970's, written by Harley Smith whose parents farmed a property in the Tallebudgera Valley. The bushwalking community was privileged to be able to camp on their property beside Tallebudgera Creek when running trips into this region.

Hi tas-man
An interesting history to the region you gave there. Thanks for the offer of more info. In addition to the directions isoma sent me in a PM, I have studied the topo of the area quite thoroughly and studied the terrain from what I could see from when I was up Mt Cougal, so I think I have enough info to go on with for the moment. The plan is to do the full traverse sometime in the next few months and I will post on the condition of the old track.
By the way, have enjoyed seeing the old photos of the region in the "where is it" competition and the one of Running Creek Falls in the stretcher track post. I plan to camp at Sheepstation Creek in the Boarder Ranges NP in a few weeks and do the Booyong Walk, plus get up to the Pinnacle. Last time I was up there all I could see was cloud! I did the Booyong Walk six years ago and remember there were some magnificent trees that managed to avoid the old sawmills.
Cheers
Andrew
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tas-man » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 12:30 am

Pteropus wrote:<Snip>By the way, have enjoyed seeing the old photos of the region in the "where is it" competition and the one of Running Creek Falls in the stretcher track post. <Snip>
Andrew

I have found a photo I took in 1969 of Mt Cougal's West Peak from East Peak. I never got to West Peak :( , but according to the UQBWC Heybob article, the ascent was through the spear lilies most of the way with a critical pinch solved by climbing a small tree. Someone has probably found a better route by now.

Mt Cougal West Peak 1969.jpg
Mt Cougal's West Peak from East Peak in 1969
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pteropus » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 9:03 am

Hi tas-man. The Xanthorrhoeas in your photo would most likely be the same ones as in mine, due to their slow growing nature! Please keep the old photos coming :D ...oh, also, despite being a postgrad at UQ for the past three years I haven’t even looked at their bush walking club(s)...I know, very slack of me...were you a member?
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:50 am

tas-man wrote:
Pteropus wrote:<Snip>By the way, have enjoyed seeing the old photos of the region in the "where is it" competition and the one of Running Creek Falls in the stretcher track post. <Snip>
Andrew

I have found a photo I took in 1969 of Mt Cougal's West Peak from East Peak. I never got to West Peak :( , but according to the UQBWC Heybob article, the ascent was through the spear lilies most of the way with a critical pinch solved by climbing a small tree. Someone has probably found a better route by now.

This definitely looks like a walk to add to the todo list. I love seeing your photo's Tas Man. I think I have some of my Grandmother's old Heybob newsletters somewhere. She was possibly a bit before your time. Marjorie Semple ring any bells?
cams

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 2:11 pm

[/quote]

I plan to camp at Sheepstation Creek in the Boarder Ranges NP in a few weeks and do the Booyong Walk, plus get up to the Pinnacle. Last time I was up there all I could see was cloud!
Cheers
Andrew[/quote]

The Pinnacle, I remember doing that walk apx 20 to 25 years ago, at the top of the Border Ranges, I believe it's a lot different now to what it used to be. Used to walk out on this very narrow ledge no wider than a couple feet with a shear drop thousands of feet down into the Tween Valley, negotiating some rocky out crops on the way, at the edge of this ledge you come out to a point we called the Pinnacles, it was a flat little platform with great views. A very challenging and dangerous walk at the time. I never been back for 20 years, Someone recently told me that you can't take that walk anymore because it's been closed many years ago, and that there is now a fence and lookout built there. I wonder if this is the same pinnacle your referring to?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 2:26 pm

I been informed There is a description of the descent to the Pinnacles I had taken in a 1975 BBW guide, when I was looking for more info on this walk I done on another forum.
I've also been informed that The Bushpeople's guide to Bushwalking in SEQ, graded " more than 5", dangerous in places, advise a rope, at the time. I never used any ropes, but probably should have. Used to be one of my favourite walks, for about 5 years every year in November I would do a trip to the Border Ranges and walk out to the Pinnacle and back, from what I can remember it took me half a day to climb out to the pinnacle lookout and back. I don't know if this is the same spot shown in the images posted here, but it looks familiar.

This youtube footage is exactly what this lookout looked like from the little platform at the end of the climb, although back 25 years ago there where no trees on the lookout. you can see the narrow bit towards the larger hill that we used to walk across and climb, it's the best footage I could find of the pinnacle hike I'm referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPnV2YEDgFo
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tas-man » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 5:12 pm

download/file.php?id=10618&mode=view
I posted this photo of the Pinacle from the Border Ranges in the Australia comp. I have a photo of it from further north that I will post when I can find it.
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby isoma » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 10:25 pm

tas-man wrote:... critical pinch solved by climbing a small tree. Someone has probably found a better route by now

dont think so ...if its the tree I'm thinking of it's starting to look a little worse for wear as well :shock:
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cams » Fri 15 Jul, 2011 1:53 pm

Doing The Cougal summit walk on Sunday if the rain holds out enough. Taking along a fairly large contingent of non-regular bushwalkers. Hope they enjoy it. Is there any rock scrambling that might be made a lot more difficult when wet?
cams

Postby Pteropus » Fri 15 Jul, 2011 3:12 pm

cams wrote:Doing The Cougal summit walk on Sunday if the rain holds out enough. Taking along a fairly large contingent of non-regular bushwalkers. Hope they enjoy it. Is there any rock scrambling that might be made a lot more difficult when wet?

Hi Cams. I can only talk about the east summit, as that is as far as I got with the group I was with. There is a short scramble to the summit that is not too difficult. However, if it is wet it might be quite slippery. Otherwise, the track is generally straight forward. The first section of track is quite over grown with lantana, grass and some sections of cow cane, but don’t be put off by that, as it clears to a nice rain forest after a kilometre or so. There is a steep section up to the base of the Cougal peak, which might be slippery in wet weather. Then there is a short scramble up to the small cave. When you get to the cave, the track then goes around to the north (right hand side) of the peak, then the short scramble to the summit through the spear lily. There is not a lot of room up on the summit but we had 7 up there. That’s as far as the party I was with dared to go....
Good luck and I hope the rain holds off!
Cheers
Andrew
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Fri 15 Jul, 2011 3:23 pm

Pteropus wrote:
cams wrote:Doing The Cougal summit walk on Sunday if the rain holds out enough. Taking along a fairly large contingent of non-regular bushwalkers. Hope they enjoy it. Is there any rock scrambling that might be made a lot more difficult when wet?

Hi Cams. I can only talk about the east summit, as that is as far as I got with the group I was with. There is a short scramble to the summit that is not too difficult. However, if it is wet it might be quite slippery. Otherwise, the track is generally straight forward. The first section of track is quite over grown with lantana, grass and some sections of cow cane, but don’t be put off by that, as it clears to a nice rain forest after a kilometre or so. There is a steep section up to the base of the Cougal peak, which might be slippery in wet weather. Then there is a short scramble up to the small cave. When you get to the cave, the track then goes around to the north (right hand side) of the peak, then the short scramble to the summit through the spear lily. There is not a lot of room up on the summit but we had 7 up there. That’s as far as the party I was with dared to go....
Good luck and I hope the rain holds off!
Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Great notes.
cams

Postby Pteropus » Tue 19 Jul, 2011 8:34 am

Hi Cams, I'm just curious if you got up to the Cougals at all on the weekend? If so, how was it?
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Tue 19 Jul, 2011 10:36 am

Unfortunately didn't get there. Made the call at 6:30 in the morning not to do it because the clouds were still pretty thick and was still forecast to rain. If it was just me I'd have gone but I didn't want to make anyone elses experience miserable. In the end it didn't rain a drop in Brisbane. Not sure if it did down there or not. :(
cams

Postby Pteropus » Tue 19 Jul, 2011 11:41 am

Thats a shame, but yeah, the weather in Brisbane turned out OK after some morning overcast. However, you never can tell with the McPherson Ranges, so if rain is forecast its sometimes better to be safe than sorry. My weekends are booked up for the next 6 weeks or so and I dont know when I will get my chance to have a crack at the Cougals/Springbrook traverse....
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby markpayne » Thu 11 Aug, 2011 8:16 pm

If anyone gets the chance to have a crack at this track from the Cougals to Springbrook id be very interested to hear what it was like. Ive been up the cougals a couple of times and wondered if there was a track that went that way.
markpayne
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GOLDCOASTER » Sat 27 Aug, 2011 5:24 pm

As you've mentioned the most common way to get to the Cougals is off the Tomewin Rd via the Garden of Eden Rd and simply follow the border fence up to East Peak.
After that it gets interesting ... completely off track from West Peak down to the Tallebudgera valley. This deviates from the actual border - I've heard of parties attempting to find a direct route from West Peak to Mt Thillinmam but to my knowledge cliffs inevitably bar the way. From the Tallebudgera valley there is a fairly straight forward route up to the plateau and on to Thillinman via the Cream Track.

isoma

I am planning a walk from Bonogin Valley (Tallebudgera Valley) to Springbrook......I am new to this forum and would love to speak to someone who has traversed this route. A friend of mine did it some years ago and is unable to do it again with me due health. Look forward to hearing from you.
GOLDCOASTER
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby isoma » Tue 30 Aug, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi GCer,

I've just forwarded the PM I sent orginally to Pteropus.
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby markpayne » Sun 30 Oct, 2011 7:09 pm

isoma wrote:Hi GCer,

I've just forwarded the PM I sent orginally to Pteropus.

Hi Isoma,

Is it possible for you to pm me the details that you sent on to Pteropus. I am thinking this could be the next traverse i have a crack at.

Thanks
markpayne
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby isoma » Tue 01 Nov, 2011 7:12 pm

PM sent mark.
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides