Hugin - panorama photo stitcher

Cameras, tripods, techniques, etc.
Forum rules
Please note that the extended image rules for the Gallery forum also apply here.

Hugin - panorama photo stitcher

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 04 Jul, 2008 7:44 am

After playing around with a few photo stitching programs, I've finally settled on Hugin (which dtasker demonstrated for me last week). It is free and open source, and available for a wide range of computer platforms. The version I'm using includes a wide range of options, including automatic and manual modes (ie, let it do everything automatically, or manually pick out the points you want to match up from each photo yourself), exposure and white balance adjustment.

It also has a choice of which method(s) to use for fusing/blending the photos.

The manual methods are a bit fiddly, and and take some getting used to. I haven't really got the hang of it yet (way too many options for me to bother figuring out what they all do), but here's a simple two photo panorama I put together from a couple of shots I had handy...

View From Home.jpg
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Hugin - panorama photo stitcher

Postby tasadam » Sat 05 Jul, 2008 12:39 pm

Looks like you've got a nice bit of north facing slope there on the Tamar - plant some grapes & make some wine!!
Programs I have used are http://www.panoramafactory.com/ and Adobe Photoshop. Neither are free though.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 09 Jul, 2008 12:09 pm

Note that other posts to this topic had drifted off track just a teensy weensy bit, so have been moved to a new topic.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 17 Jul, 2008 8:12 pm

There's an add-n, enblend I think it's called, that is available from the same site at Hugin- it made a big difference to the results of my stitching efforts.

Fun program!
the_camera_poser

Postby Joe » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 2:31 pm

I use hugin on linux as its one of the only native options...it really is great...but I still have autostitch running under Wine because it is just so good at what it does.

Autostitch takes all the user element out..so if you aren't happy with results...stiff...but 80% of the time results are that good there is no need to bemoan it :D
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby gumboots » Tue 07 Oct, 2008 9:22 pm

i am new to the group , i have done a few panoramas with between 4&15 in elements & its auto dose a beaut job , p shop and the likes to much for the empty space , but a great & easy win , cheers gumgoots , it looks like a good crew , the pans are to big to load on this site i think/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/panarama G F @ the G/Panorama G F @ the G 1.jpg/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/19:09:2008_2/panarama @ the G.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/ollie.lilly
gumboots
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby gumboots » Tue 07 Oct, 2008 9:38 pm

if you can see the photo gallery the overland & the westerns all on velvea & richo gr1v compact ,
its a great little unit , the panoramas by pentax k 10d its great but a lot bigger cheers to all .
gumboots
gumboots
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Photography