What Gear is Essential

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: What Gear is Essential

Postby north-north-west » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 9:20 pm

I think he meant powdered roo dung.
At least, I hope so . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Liamy77 » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 9:56 pm

of all the ingredients he listed you're worried about the roo poo? :shock:
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby walkinTas » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:17 pm

Ahhh! I see. Now that I re-read it. It's not "powdered kangaroo" and "wombat nuggets" at all. Its just poo. Yeah Liamy, its always the poo. Amazing how we keep coming back to this topic. So whats special about kangaroo and wombat poo. Why not just say powdered poo mixed with other exotic ingredients.

I think we should ban any further conversations that mention any three letter words that start with "p" and end with "o" and have the fourth vowel as a middle letter.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:25 pm

There's dung, and then there's dung. Big difference between roo pellets and human waste, for instance.
It's partly a result of what is eaten, but also the processing.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Swifty » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 4:09 am

One tiny and mundane item that I always need but often forget is the humble nail clipper. Otherwise always pulling out those quicks - ouch! Inevitable blood and minor swelling / infection. Hate that!
Swifty
Ossua vetera
Swifty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby WarrenH » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 3:12 pm

tasadam wrote: Any photos of this brutal weapon with the comfortable handle? I've never (knowingly) seen an instrument that has been used for circumcision before... :shock:

Tasadam, too easy Mate. I hope you like the wranger for the 1:1 scale.

The red is not blood it is red ochre, and the flakes off the edges aren't damage they are napped (retouching the blade) to make the blade sharper. The retouching is a lot finer than these photos show. The powdered fibre, the Roo poo (most poetic) and there is sand as well, in the resin handle (perhaps the term comfortable nob could also be used) makes the resin less brittle and extremely strong. Similar to how compression strength fillers are added to epoxy resins nowadays making epoxy stronger and less brittle.

This is one sharp tool, the wranger looks like she is admiring the tool.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Thu 29 Jul, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Liamy77 » Thu 29 Jul, 2010 3:32 pm

I'm never gunna think of "red heads" without crossing my legs again!! :shock:
Taggunnah
GRAVITY... IS A HARSH MISTRESS!
knowledge's lighter than gadgets..but gadgets can be fun!
Liamy77
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Location: Southern Channel, Tas.... but sometimes i leave n walk around elsewhere!
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Woodbridge Organics

Postby Walk-n-Fish » Tue 12 Apr, 2011 8:53 pm

Given the lists - for which I am grateful - what pack weight is generally considered ideal for the general population?
Walk-n-Fish
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Capt DropBear » Thu 14 Apr, 2011 3:47 pm

Walk-n-Fish wrote:Given the lists - for which I am grateful - what pack weight is generally considered ideal for the general population?

I can't speak from a point of authority, but there are a few rules-of-thumb - I think "Max 25% of ones own bodyweight" is a rough one, but it also has to factor in things like:
- duration of your trek - overnighter vs multi-day (don't pack clothes/food/water for a multi-day if you're only going out for the night)
- availability of "re-fuelling stations" for food along the way
- availabilty of drinking water vs carrying your own (the last two walks I've done, water was ~30% of overall pack weight)
- time of year (obviously during winter you'll need warmer/heavier gear)
- being sensible about what to take, and what to leave behind.

In my opinion, this last one is the most important. You can pack for every occasion, and end up lugging around 20+ kgs for an overnighter (like one of my mates did on the last walk I led - despite my suggestions* to the contrary :roll: ) - but if you stop and think about where you're gong, and realistically what conditions you are going to face - you can trim your load approriately, without putting yourself at serious risk.

*Suggestions such as:
- Yes you need water, but do you really need 10L of it for one day?
- Yes, it's mid-summer - do you really need your 2kg 0C synthetic doona-bag, or perhaps put some thermals on and sleep in a cotton liner?
- You're a real man, I get it, but instead of carrying your 3-man 4kg Coleman tent all by yourself - and sleeping in it by yourself - maybe share the gear you two others?

... and that was probably all way off topic. But you get the idea - be sensible with what you need to take and what you can leave behind, and how much you really feel comfortable carrying.
Capt DropBear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnat » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 8:41 pm

Capt DropBear wrote:- be sensible with what you need to take and what you can leave behind, and how much you really feel comfortable carrying.

Now THAT is the most sensible thing I've read here!

We (4 of us) dehydrated our own meals, vac packed them, for our Overland Track walk in Tasmania just recently. The meals were spread among us, so that each of us lost a meal each day (almost) as we walked. We could not survive without a decent coffee - so we carried a couple of packs of coffee and a plunger - it was absolutely worth it! Our rubbish bag for the entire trip for the 4 of us was LESS than a standard supermarket singlet bag!

Essential Gear
- tent that doesn't leak (our mates had a supposedly good tent but in a light shower the seams dripped water into the base)
- food for all days that you'll be away (plus a bit for emergencies)
- cooking gear (we took a pair of stoves and too much fuel - better than running out! - and 2 sets of pan/pot and a billy)
- spoons (no need for any knives, forks, all our food could be eaten with spoons)
- Breakfasts can be oats - they are rehydrated overnight and cooked in the morning. Far better than the dried eggs/pancakes we also packed.
- a couple of changes of clothes (for the 6 day walk) Don't take more than you need!
- a good strong backpack (we had one planet bags, and they performed without fault! our mates had other brands and they were just as good.)
- pack cover (in case of rain, to protect the bag and contents)
- camera (why would you go anywhere without one?)
- maps and other location/direction gear. We had laminated maps of the walk, day by day, as well we carried a compass and GPS unit (for route tracking rather than locating).
- decent boots (my AKUs had a bit of a problem with delamination of the sole - will talk with the dealers and see what can be done)
- cheese, bikkies, scotch/rum for pre-dinner drinkies, and port for afters (along with chocolate!)
- aforementioned coffee and plunger PLUS a slab of fruit cake for morning tea!

Not sure there are any other things (apart from the dunny roll, trowel, hand sanitiser, etc) that are essential. :wink:
John
"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to jail for sex - You'll get it but it'll be rough!" Adam Hills.
johnat
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ticklebelly » Mon 16 May, 2011 4:28 pm

OK, I read the whole post and have decided not to carry any stone tools for circumcising anyone. However, I have a particular interest in socks, spare and for just wearing. I figure socks are an essential item but nothing above gets near to specifics. My current attitude to socks is to wear clean and dry every day. So, for a three day walk, I take two spare pairs, vacuum sealed in plastic. Night time treatment for the bits that stop my legs from fraying is always a little dose of metho and a good rub, whether or not the body got a tub or not. Have not seen the need for the hi-tech socks like Gore-Tex or copper impregnated or computer designed or such; just use the wool inner, nylon outer for about $10 a copy at Woolies. Anyone care to share their ideas on socks and how many pair to pack?

Could we save the discussion on how many pairs of jocks for later? And I would prefer to stay aware from any discussion of lady stuff (knickers) altogether.

Ticklebelly
Ticklebelly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby dannnnn » Mon 16 May, 2011 7:18 pm

i find packing a brand new pair of cotton socks to be an incredible luxury after a few day.
dannnnn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 16 May, 2011 8:41 pm

Knickers, jocks, what's the difference? They have the same use.

As for socks: make sure they fit without any bagginess or folds. I love Injinji toe socks for inners - coolmax for warmer weather, merino for colder. Then thick merino oversocks for cold weather and lighter merino c\or coolmax for hot conditions. And I usually wear the same socks throughout a walk, although I do carry a spare pair just in case.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lindsay » Tue 17 May, 2011 5:22 pm

I am a minimalist when it comes to jocks and socks. One spare of each will do me.
Lindsay

Postby davidmorr » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 10:39 am

Ticklebelly wrote:However, I have a particular interest in socks, spare and for just wearing. I figure socks are an essential item but nothing above gets near to specifics. My current attitude to socks is to wear clean and dry every day. So, for a three day walk, I take two spare pairs, vacuum sealed in plastic. Night time treatment for the bits that stop my legs from fraying is always a little dose of metho and a good rub, whether or not the body got a tub or not. Have not seen the need for the hi-tech socks like Gore-Tex or copper impregnated or computer designed or such; just use the wool inner, nylon outer for about $10 a copy at Woolies. Anyone care to share their ideas on socks and how many pair to pack?
I have always felt that looking after your feet is critical. After all, they are what is going to get you into and out of amazing places. And not looking after them can have long term effects that will restrict you when you are older.

So yes, I always have at least three pairs of socks. Each night, the pair I have worn get washed out and hung on the side of the pack the next day to dry.

My socks are Holeproof Explorers. Wool inside and nylon outside. I look after them by hand washing in wool wash, and they seem to be surviving quite well. Some I have been wearing for many years. They are not as springy as they were when new, but ok for daywalks. The newer Explorers don't seem as good as the older ones - the nylon outer seems to get pulls much more easily.

The other thing I do is try to keep my feet dry. I usually take my shoes off before wading through water, meaning feet and shoes stay dry and more comfortable for the rest of the trip. The trade-off is that barefoot is sometimes rather hazardous, so I carry a light pair of sandals which can be used around camp too.

And socks can have multiple uses. In cold conditions, you can wear a clean and dry pair to bed. You can also use them as mittens if you do not have any gloves.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cdg » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 2:42 pm

I swear by Holeproof explorers. when i heard they were going to be made in china i bought about 50 pairs over the next few months. They seem to be indestructible. I have pairs that are well over 5 years old, i use woolwash and warm water when i wash them, and always turn them inside out when doing so.
cdg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ticklebelly » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 6:48 am

I'm using the Holeproof Explorers. Like the wool inside and the nylon outer for wear but need to disclose that I haven't tried too many different brands/fabric combinations. Pretty cheap too. Might just try washing a pair on the track to test out the practicality. For the moment, I'll stay with taking a pair per day.

Ticklebelly.
Ticklebelly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tomTW12 » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:09 am

hey,
first of all I am new to the whole hiking thing also im only 12.
BUT!!!! that doesn't mean I dont have a sa.y my "kit" for walkes overnight include:
ROMAN BACKPACK
VICTORINOX SOLDIER (SWISS ARMY KNIFE/POCKET KNIFE?
550 PARACORD (ENDLESS USESS)
"GERBER" SURVIVAL FLINT
BINOCULARS
GOOD QULITY COMPASS
AWESOME PAIR OF BOOTS/SHOES
KHAKI HAVERSACK
CANTEEN
SURVIVAL WHISTLE (FOR SIGNALING)
ZIPPO LIGHTER (LIKE TO DO TRICKS WITH IT AND BURN ENDS OF PARACORD)
UPGRADED WIRE SAW
PETZL TIKKA PLUS 2 HEADLIGHT (FREAKIN AWESOME!!!)
BAKED BEANS (I EAT THEM COLD)
tomTW12
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby Bill P » Sun 26 Jun, 2011 5:07 pm

Good on you TomTW12, it's great to see such enthusiasm!

And I bet I know what one of your favourite TV shows is! Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ringeroo » Sun 24 Jul, 2011 8:37 pm

Yes well done Tom12, many 12 year olds I know are more intersted in pursuits of an electronic kind!
Phil
ringeroo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby geoffmallo » Tue 30 Aug, 2011 12:20 am

2 pairs of sock only. I don't care how long I'm going for.

1 pair of thin smart wool socks for walking in (can get wet).

1 pair of thicker smart wool socks for camp and sleeping in (keep dry at all costs).
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Wed 31 Aug, 2011 2:29 pm

geoffmallo wrote:[...] 1 pair of thin smart wool socks for walking in (can get wet). [...]

I am just wondering what you define as smart wool? I am pondering what socks to buy and without looking into it at all I can see the sense in a socks comprising of (a high percentage, if not entirely, merino) wool. Is this a terrible uneducated idea?
Mountain Rocket

Postby geoffmallo » Wed 31 Aug, 2011 2:34 pm

Smart wool is a brand that I use. However any good quality wool socks would do. I don't use the thick explorer type socks, I find they are just too hot.

This is the pair I use - http://www.smartwool.com/mens/socks-2/p ... 24281.html
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ticklebelly » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 6:20 am

Funny how field testing changes.confirms things. Still happy with Holeproof Explorers after a 5 day walk. took two pairs and only wore one for testing purposes. Yeah, they were a bit smelly but did not cause problems. I did the dash of Metho on the tootsies each night though.

Change of focus - picked up a Merino as an alternative to the more usual Polyprop thermals. Not sure if the Merino is that much better than poly but field testing will happen this weekend. Anyone got opinions on the high-tech wool over poly thermals?

Ticklebelly
Ticklebelly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tony » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 8:15 am

I used Explorer socks for many years, on recommendation from Roger Caffin I got some Darn Tough Socks and have never looked back.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby norts » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 9:19 am

I vote for Darn Tough too.
Great socks
Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mountain Rocket » Tue 06 Sep, 2011 10:56 am

Just wondering where you guys got your Darn Tough socks from? I am having trouble finding an online (or local) dealer.
Mountain Rocket

What Gear is Essential

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 06 Sep, 2011 4:59 pm

I used to always wear explorer socks and the cheapest shoes for all my hikes, now I purchase expensive socks and shoes and my feet are always in pain.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Tue 06 Sep, 2011 6:16 pm

X-Socks Light hikers for me. I get them from the UK for way less than I've seen them here.

Phil, you should start a thread about your sore feet, there will be lots of suggestions and probably some hard love, but you need to get on top of it if you are going to enjoy hiking again.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Tue 06 Sep, 2011 6:38 pm

I bought them on line, cant remember where. I did see them in Paddy Pallin(Launcston) but not for awhile now.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment