Desktop version
Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.

Forum rules

Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15
Post a reply

barn bluff day walk from dove lake/ronnie ck

Sat 31 Jan, 2009 1:22 pm

Can anyone advise a realistic time allowance to make for a return day walk to barn bluff summit from dove lake/ronnie ck area? and any info on how much more challenging this walk would be compared to the cradle mtn summit walk? I am planning a return visit in late february.
----------------ADDITION------------------

Thanks for all info below - pretty accurate - It took 9.40 hrs from dove lake car park for the round trip with shortish lunch break but spent a good while on summit, the views of other places walks to do making me drool.
Last edited by chinkerplonk on Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: barn bluff day walk from dove lake/ronnie ck

Sat 31 Jan, 2009 4:33 pm

From Ronnie Creek it would be a full day, you'd need to allow at least 10 hours +, assuming time to linger
on the Barn Bluff summit prior to your return. In terms of relativities, you'd certainly see a lot less day tourists once you are past Kitchen Hut, Barn Bluff is not as popular a side trip even amongst Overlanders who tend to do the Cradle summit and then head for Waterfall Valley Hut. The climb to Barn Bluff summit is certainly not a tourist route and the scrample up to the summit is quiet hairy with spectacular sheer cliffs and drop offs, but worth the effort.

Depending on what you're after, another alternative would be to go from Dove Lake and then up over Hansens peak and down the Eastern side of Cradle Mountain via Little Horn and Artists Pool and Lake Rodway, this is a very picturesque area and far less frequented by the hoardes attempting the Cradle summit. The trail leads past Scott Kilvert Hut and then gradually climbs back to join the Overland on the Cradle cirque. This trail is less exposed and you have the advantage of Scott Kilvert Hut being en route in the event the weather changes unexpectedly, you could of course go up this way and down via Kitchen Hut - enjoying the best of both worlds and avoiding some of the heartbreaking climb up past Crater Lake. A long and physically challenging day, but I'm assuming you wouldn't be considering it without being in fairly good shape. Some track notes you may find useful: http://www.wildtiger.biz/index.php?tracknotes&id=29
Last edited by Iluvtheoutdawz on Sat 31 Jan, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat 31 Jan, 2009 4:41 pm

[edit] beaten!

Sun 01 Feb, 2009 8:59 pm

Iluvtheoutdawz wrote: The climb to Barn Bluff summit is certainly not a tourist route and the scrample up to the summit is quiet hairy with spectacular sheer cliffs and drop offs, but worth the effort.

I don't really agree with this and I (believe) am quite 'scared' or not confident with high places and I found it easier in regard to that than Cradle. There was only one place I didn't like on Barn Bluff and probably none on Cradle, but even so I would think the Barn is 'easier' and it certainly is so much more sexy. It really is beautiful

I've only been up each once.
Barn Bluff last October took between 6.5 to 6.75 hours up from Dove Lake carpark via Face Track with about 15 minutes on top, return via Marion's Lookout down the steeper side track.

Barn Bluff is great. Have fun :D
Last edited by MrCAMEL on Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon 02 Feb, 2009 8:54 am

Crikey I'd say it's definatley harder than Cradle, just due to the distance if nothing else. I'd also say perhaps it's scarier. It's smaller scree so there aren't the same holes to fall in between but it's mostly steeper and you could maybe fall/roll further down. I didn't mind either but I know my walking partner wasn't over the moon about Barn Bluff. We took 11.5hrs to do barn bluff but that was with an inexperienced and not so fit companion from Dove Lake carpark via Wombat Pool and back straight down off marions to dove lake. There was hardly a drip of water after we left the wombat pool area that day either. It all depends how fit you are and how quick you like to walk. Much of the walk is very exposed so I wouldn't go without full wet weather gear and some warm clothes. We set off on a beautiful February day (a year ago to the day actually) and had horizontal rain in the arvo. I don't know how much longer it takes but the Scott Kilvert Hut route mentioned by Iluvtheoutdawz is very nice (my favourite part of the park) but I reckon further and a tad harder.
I've also done Cradle in a lot less time and that was via Twisted Lakes and out down past Lake Wilks and via the east side of Dove Lake. Also with someone who was very slow on the scree. To me it was way easier but then I love the big scree hopping thing.

Mon 02 Feb, 2009 11:50 pm

I've only done each of them once and didn't quite make the top of Barn Bluff. We did that as a side trip on the OLT, so I don't know how long as a day trip but as others have suggested it would be a long day. You're actually only a couple of kms from Waterfall Valley at the turnoff, and about 3km to the base of the BB climb. Start early.

I'd probably rank Barn Bluff as more difficult than Cradle but maybe less scary, not sure (memory is fading; guess that means I have to attempt them both again :wink:). I only recall one hairy bit on Cradle which is that gully you have to descend before finally climbing up to the summit. On BB it starts very steep and gets steeper. I found on the last bit the footholds were getting too far apart for my short*rs* legs, and I have a dicky left knee. It was also blowing pretty hard at the time, and I was starting to struggle a bit. So decided not to risk it even though it wasn't much further up. My main concern was not getting up there, even though the climbing was getting a bit awkward, I was worried that I may not get down again. Sent my (taller) son on ahead to finish the job while I took photos. We had earlier met a young couple at the base who had abandoned their attempt. When I asked how they went the guy gave an impromptu impression of a clucking chicken. Didn't do a lot for my confidence :roll:.

Tue 03 Feb, 2009 7:31 am

I would agree with those that suggest about 10 hours as a day walk. It's a long walk to the base of it, and then it is a steep climb. The second time I got to Barn Bluff it was a beautiful day, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

My first attempt was in winter skiing through the Overland Track (in a winter when the snow was not really good enough for skiing much). We attempted Barn Bluff as a day walk from waterfall valley. Thankfully the skiing along the ridge was actually quite good. We dumped the skis when it got too steep, and started climbing. The snow got steeper and steeper, and we found ourselves punching and kicking holes into the snow so that we could climb it like a ladder. Very hard work. We were just getting to the really rocky bits, when the sun came out. At first, we though this was a good thing, but as the power of the sun hit the rocks and ice, slabs of ice started breaking away and plunging into the snow around us. This is the point at which we bailed... that was way too scary for me. :-) The trip down was very fast. One quick bum/gortex slide back to the skis, and a casual ski across the ridge back to Waterfall Valley (through the middle of several shrubs... I never could figure out how to steer cross-country skis when going downhill!).

Wed 04 Feb, 2009 10:33 am

As others have said, its a long way out to BB. Given that, I think the views from the top are far better than from Cradle (Lake Will looks great on a sunny day, as do all the peaks further down the OT), with the added bonus of no army of ants / people doing the same walk.
I don't think the scramble to the top is that bad (no worse than Ossa / Pelion East anyway)

If I recall, we had a "base-camp" at Scott-Kilvert for a couple of nights, and did Barn and Cradle as a circuit in one long day. Have also got some mates who did both in a day late last year - can track down their times if this would be helpful. I'd reccommend doing it while Daylight-Savings gives a few extra bits of daylight at the end of the day (unless you are one of these early-bird-worm-eating types who like to start walking at 5AM). :D

Wed 04 Feb, 2009 11:38 am

I did Barn Bluff & Mt. Emmett early last year in 8 hours return from Dove Lake, warranted this was moving fairly quickly (not running tho).
I left Dove Lake at 6 in the morning as it was forecast to be a hot day, and it was.
Even tho it is a long way out to Barn it is all easy walking on excellent track / duck board;
just be sure to pack a headtorch as always on these long day walks, just in case :wink:
The walk out to Mt. Emmett (off-track) took about 1.5-2 hours return from the main track from memory?
Pretty easy walking other than a short band of scrub in the saddle approaching the Emmet boulder fields.
Be sure to pack a good supply of water as I ran out half way through this day; the first stream I came to below Cradle tasted so sweet :D

A few pics to inspire:
Attachments
1.jpg
Barn Bluff summit block.
1.jpg (37.93 KiB) Viewed 30222 times
2.jpg
Looking back along Cradle cirque from near the summit of Barn Bluff.
2.jpg (51.49 KiB) Viewed 30221 times
3.jpg
Looking across to Barn from on the way to Mt. Emmett.
3.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 30223 times
Last edited by stu on Mon 23 Feb, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed 04 Feb, 2009 11:43 am

And a few more pics from the Mt. Emmett area, a worthwhile off-track side trip for those in the area as it is very close to main tracks so relatively safe.
Attachments
4.jpg
Barn Bluff & Waterfall Valley area from on the way to Mt. Emmett.
4.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 30220 times
5.jpg
Looking to the first (false) summit of Mt. Emmett. Boulder hopping anyone?
5.jpg (49.57 KiB) Viewed 30221 times
6.jpg
Looking back to the east face of Cradle & Lake Rodway from near Mt. Emmett.
6.jpg (39.48 KiB) Viewed 30219 times

Fri 06 Feb, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks for all the info, its looking like a bit more of a challenge than I first thought - regarding time especially but looking forward to it - not usually being an early bird I better make an exception this time.

Sat 02 May, 2009 8:31 pm

I didn't bother trying to bust my guts getting there and back in a day (knowing what I'm like with the camera and how long that takes).
So I went in Dove Lake, anticlockwise up past Lake Wilks to face track, to Kitchen hut, to Barn Bluff (leaving our packs on the side of the track along the Barn Bluff track a bit), then after the summit down to Waterfall valley to camp (in our tent) for the night.
Next day returned via a failed attempt to Mt Emmett (made it to last saddle but beaten by time and an unwillingness to do battle with the scoparia), then Scott Kilvert, Hansons Peak, and Mt Campbell for good measure.
Didn't need the head torch, just.

Wed 03 Jun, 2009 6:56 pm

I have done Barn Bluff in a long hot summer's day many years ago but had a more leisurely trip last weekend. Went up Cradle Mountain on the way past and then out to Barn Bluff in pretty good but cool weather. Neither have any difficult bits but they do involve a bit of scrambling. Camped on the cirque in a Nemo Go-Go Bivy (this is an innovative cross between a tent and a bivy bag - I will post a few comments after I use it a few more times). Woke the next morning to mist, a bit of wind, and a very heavy frost. My nearby source of water had about 7mm of ice on it.

Went out to Emmett, which was entertaining. I love boulder hopping - especially if it is dry - and Emmett has a lot of boulders and a summit that is at the far end from where you start. If it's wet then boulder fields are a bit more "interesting". This time I arrived at the boulder field to see a somewhat strange sight of totally white boulders disappearing into the mist. Not a bit of snow anywhere, but rather everything covered in a heavy coating of frost. Hmmm! This was certainly going to slow me down. Got there and back eventually. Even had enough energy to get up the Little Horn and Campbell on the way out.

Sun 26 Jul, 2009 9:15 pm

Has anyone attempted Barn Bluff directly from Lake Will? That would be an approach from the Lake Will track ascending NW along the spur and then contouring between 1300 and 1350 elevation around the E side of BB to meet up with the approach from Bluff Cirque. :?

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 4:25 pm

sunbernd wrote:Has anyone attempted Barn Bluff directly from Lake Will? That would be an approach from the Lake Will track ascending NW along the spur and then contouring between 1300 and 1350 elevation around the E side of BB to meet up with the approach from Bluff Cirque. :?

:shock:

As this requires off-track walking you won't see an answer posted, but you may receive a PM from anyone who has some helpful info.

Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:03 pm

ohh amazing mountains...
really like the pics

Tue 12 Oct, 2010 8:23 pm

I am hoping to attempt this walk this weekend, heading up via Mt Campbell and Little Horn on the way to Scott Kilvert to camp Sunday night, then off to Barn Bluff and Emmett on the Monday. The plan is to keep it fairly moderate paced as I will have just run 10km at hopefully a good pace in the Burnie 10.
I am considering a quick dash up Mt Kate on the way out. Is Mt Kate just a relatively simple off track walk? I can't remember ever being able to see it on a drive into the visitor centre. PM me if you have any info on it.

Cheers

Jared

Tue 12 Oct, 2010 8:36 pm

Good luck with the weather the forecast at the moment wouldn't be inspiring me to attempt it this weekend..

Bit of snow expected too which might make Little Horn and Barn a little tricky.

Tue 12 Oct, 2010 8:38 pm

Yeah I did see the forecast. Hopefully its not too bad. I've had a rotten run with snow recently.

Tue 12 Oct, 2010 8:42 pm

pazzar wrote:I am considering a quick dash up Mt Kate on the way out. Is Mt Kate just a relatively simple off track walk? I can't remember ever being able to see it on a drive into the visitor centre.

Kate is the hill that rises above the Ronny Creek car park. Do you have access to a copy of "The Abels." It's described in there. There's an old logging road that gets you above the treeline from near the lodges.

Tue 12 Oct, 2010 8:55 pm

I hope you get lots of snow so that you can walk OVER THE TOP OF all the Scoparia crossing the saddle towards Emmett.
one third "couldn't be bothered pushing through it" and two thirds "not enough time that day" meant we didn't do Emmett when we were there.
PM sent.
Good luck!

Wed 13 Oct, 2010 6:43 am

I'd also be worried about the forecast Jared. Heavy snow to low levels forecast.

Adam, did you attepmy Emmett a different way?? Most reports i've heard say there is very little scrub on the way out there.

Wed 13 Oct, 2010 12:59 pm

As TT says the description in the Abels for Mt Kate is accurate, thats what I used when I went there.
It is an easy off track walk, provided you have good weather, I wouldn't want to be up there in mist tho as navigation would be difficult.

There is a small band of scrub en route to Mt Emmett in the saddle & before you reach the base of the scree.
It is mostly scoparia & gum & other bits n pieces, generally pretty easy going tho.

Wed 13 Oct, 2010 1:35 pm

Lets hope it is a nice couple of days. The forecast has gone from heavy rain, to snow, to mostly sunny. Next it will be monsoons and tidal waves. I'll just keep an eye out and see how it is come Sunday morning. I will check out the abels book before I go, might be handy to get some extra info on the off track walks.

Wed 13 Oct, 2010 1:46 pm

Yup, grab a copy if you can find one mate, they are rare as hens teeth these days tho.
Maybe try the Tas Map Centre just up the road (other side) from MD's - they may be able (no pun intended) to order a copy if none in stock.

It's what inspired me to climb mountains, particularly the remote ones, before I'd even heard of the Peak Baggers list.
Lots of inspiring pics, history & route info.

Let's hope Volume 2 (West & South) comes out soon as is rumoured - waiting!

Wed 13 Oct, 2010 2:03 pm

stu wrote:Yup, grab a copy if you can find one mate, they are rare as hens teeth these days tho.
Maybe try the Tas Map Centre just up the road (other side) from MD's - they may be able (no pun intended) to order a copy if none in stock.

It's what inspired me to climb mountains, particularly the remote ones, before I'd even heard of the Peak Baggers list.
Lots of inspiring pics, history & route info.

Let's hope Volume 2 (West & South) comes out soon as is rumoured - waiting!

Copies are available directly from the author Bill wilkinson. Pm me for details. And talking about waiting stu, your signature mentions geike and Tyndall yet where are
Photos and trip report

Wed 13 Oct, 2010 2:12 pm

LOL - yes, sorry, lazy :(
Some photos here in the interim, what an amazing little walk it is too & we very luckily got blue bird conditions :D

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?ai ... 6029531842

I'll try to get a report up in the next week, that takes longer than just quickly loggin into BWT which is what I usually tend to do to break up the monotony of work.

Wed 13 Oct, 2010 2:23 pm

Fullers bookshop has lots of copies of the Abels.

Mon 18 Oct, 2010 8:27 am

Just picked up a copy of the ables from Fullers on Saturday that ILUVSWTAS for the info.

There was one left on the shelf.

Thu 24 Mar, 2011 6:02 pm

Bap wrote:Just picked up a copy of the ables from Fullers on Saturday that ILUVSWTAS for the info.

There was one left on the shelf.

Speaking to a rep from TOC or whatever does the Abels books, Volume 2 is just weeks away people!!!!!
Post a reply