Budget, lightweight tent recommendations

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Budget, lightweight tent recommendations

Postby gojo09 » Wed 26 Nov, 2014 11:28 am

Hi All

I'm off on an 8 day hike over New Years, and have just realised that the tent I borrowed is not a 1-person as I thought, but a 2-person Hubba Hubba (not the NX, the previous edition). Thoughts on whether I should just go with that, or if I should try and source a smaller, lighter one? The Hubba is around 2kg, and weight and space are always an issue for me (I don't know why - I swear I don't pack more stuff than other people!).

Kathmandu has this Mono tent on sale for $99 ATM (http://www.kathmandu.com.au/camping/ten ... -sand.html) but their quality over the past few years has just gone downhill, so it may not be worth the savings? Or if anyone has a second-hand tent they're looking to offload, I'd be interested. I don't really want to spend more than around $200 if I buy something though (I don't do a lot of overnight walking).

Thanks
gojo09
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Budget, lightweight tent recommendations

Postby beean » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 12:27 am

By the looks of it, the Kathmandu tent weighs 1.73kg. So you're only saving 250g and losing a whole lotta space. I'd stick with the Hubba Hubba, or just take a tarp.
beean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 12:57 am

Aliexpress carries a few interesting tents that are worth investigating.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 6:53 am

since you are so close to your walk, my inclination would be to go with the tent that you are most familiar with. Since right now you can plan around the known weight of your borrowed tent, I think that would be better than buying a tent right before, and finding out that its not as light as you had hoped. If its not a solo walk, is there a chance you could buddy up with someone else? or if that does not work, do a tent swap with someone else in the group, so they pair up and you take the single?
My other thought is that buying a tent right before a trip means you have less time to figure it out, and you will not have as great a time. I'm thinking particularly of one person I know who bought a tent on a really good sale, but cannot set it up in any but the most perfect conditions. In their defense, its a really complex tent to put up, and you have to get it perfect. But thats not a situation you want to be in on an 8 day hike.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ethoen » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 9:37 am

How you looked at the Six Moon scout tent? It weighs less than a kilo, and is only about $200 atm, so much cheaper than a lot of lightweight, 1 man tents.

Personally, i think a month is plenty of time to get used to a new tent and saving a kilo off the base weight of your pack is a very good idea. You'll be cursing that extra kilo with every step otherwise!
ethoen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby ElvenCraft Gear » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 8:42 am

How about a 2-3 man silnylon tent that weighs 1170 grams ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hiking-Tent- ... 4ae0851df4
The most valuable items in your hiking kit are knowledge, experience, and improvisation.
Everything else is luxury.
ElvenCraft Gear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Elvencraft Wilderness Gear

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 9:31 pm

Stick with the hubba. If you rush into choosing something else in a hurry, in six months time you'll regret it and want something else. A budget tent might do you in the short term, but it's another $99 you can put towards a really good lightweight tent in the future.

If you have a space issue, can you carry any gear on the outside of your pack (suitably protected and firmly fastened)?
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby lorrainey100 » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 2:17 am

If insects are not a problem where you are going, you can do a fast pitch with the hubba (Fly, poles and groundsheet). Leave the main tent body at home. Buy titanium pegs. Or if insects are a problem buy a one person mosquito net which is light and install in the fast pitch hubba. This may reduce your weight by half.

Alternatively, reduce your weight with your other equipment e.g. sleeping bag, mattress, clothes, cooking pots, stove etc.
lorrainey100
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 9:05 am

The Mono isn't a real tent if you ever need to spend a day cooped up in it, it's more a double skin bivvy
It is one I was considering modifying for a solo winter shelter by leaving the inner behind but the poles don't work for that
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 11:29 am

A detail often missed with a very similar tent to the Mone is the max height.
For the Mono that is 65cm.
Some are OK with that but worth noting.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 11:51 am

That minimum height is why I consider this a bivvy rather than a tent, I simply can't live with a ceiling that low except in an emergency, even 95 is low for me. I like 1350mm minimum even if it means the extra weight
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 12:07 pm

Moondog55 wrote:That minimum height is why I consider this a bivvy rather than a tent, I simply can't live with a ceiling that low except in an emergency, even 95 is low for me. I like 1350mm minimum even if it means the extra weight

Agree !! I'm not tall, but I find the standard 950/1000 restrictive. I have one single pole "tunnel" that's 1100 (IIRC) and the difference is significant. Headroom is wonderful, particularly in filthy weather. Maybe why so many are attracted to the various mids ?
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gojo09 » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 2:27 pm

Well, I've never actually pitched this tent either (that's tomorrow's task), so there's no difference between getting a new one in that regards.

Being in a teeny tent doesn't really appeal, but I also don't want to be that person taking up the entire tent platform. I think at this point it seems like sticking with the Hubba is the better option? It's still smaller and lighter than the tent I took on the Overland (which was shared with another person). Insects are apparently going to be a problem - it's Jindabyne over New Years, and I've been advised to take a fly net.

There must be other ways I can economise on weight/space.
gojo09
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Nov, 2014 3:23 pm

Minimise all the other gear just a touch, take a much lighter sleeping bag and sleep in your jacket if it's cold, leave the champagne at home etc
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gojo09 » Sun 30 Nov, 2014 2:54 pm

Yikes - just put up the tent and saying 2 people is being very generous - there's nobody I like enough to spend 7 nights cooped up like that with!
gojo09
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby earthgrace » Sun 30 Nov, 2014 3:56 pm

I suspect most backpacking tents are like that?? Cosy for the number of people specified. It's nice having that extra space! I've taken a 2 p tent just for me, though that was car camping so I didn't have to always carry it.
earthgrace
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Eljimberino » Sun 30 Nov, 2014 4:27 pm

A mate of mine has a hubba. He says you can remove the inner and pitch just the fly. An option to consider.

Ride On
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby gojo09 » Mon 01 Dec, 2014 5:34 am

I don't actually see how the fly would stay up without the inner, as the poles are all attached to the inner only, although it could probably be rigged. But I fall into the category of people who don't want to share their bed with snakes and mozzies anyway, so I'll stick with the full tent!

Thanks for all the suggestions - glad I didn't just rush out and buy the one person tent!
gojo09
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ElvenCraft Gear » Mon 01 Dec, 2014 8:50 am

Moondog55 wrote:The Mono isn't a real tent if you ever need to spend a day cooped up in it, it's more a double skin bivvy
It is one I was considering modifying for a solo winter shelter by leaving the inner behind but the poles don't work for that

Most "2 person Ultralights" are in reality "1 person bivvys"
A 2 person tent should be large enough for 2x people to sit up in and move around without too much difficulty.

When you get those days that are all sideways rain and wind, it isn't pleasant hiking. If you have a tent instead of a bivvy, you can get out a deck of cards, cook some comfort food and coffee, and ride it out planning future adventures, reminiscing, and having a few good yarns solving the world's problems. re-route the hike to cut out the lost day or find an evac route to come back when the weather's better.
If a hike is all about trudging wearily on for days while soaking wet and freezing cold in zero visibility, or waiting it out in a cramped bivvy, I'd rather be at work doing something meaningful and less unpleasant.
Why take a 1kg bivvy when you can take a roomy 2 person tent at a similar weight ? - Crazy !
The most valuable items in your hiking kit are knowledge, experience, and improvisation.
Everything else is luxury.
ElvenCraft Gear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Elvencraft Wilderness Gear

Postby Franco » Tue 02 Dec, 2014 11:42 am

Goyo 09
You can set up the Hubbas fly only using the Fast and Light option.
You need their groundcloth for this but not all that difficult as a DIY project
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment