Game: Where-is-it? (international)

Competitions, photo games, and other forum hosted games.
Forum rules
Only administrators may post new topics to this forum. Registered users can post replies.

Re: Game: Where-is-it? (international)

Postby johnw » Thu 24 Nov, 2016 12:26 pm

Yosemite Valley in winter?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby iandsmith » Tue 29 Nov, 2016 6:10 am

No, try further north.
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Tue 29 Nov, 2016 9:51 pm

Unfortunately circumstances prevented me getting there but let's try somewhere in the North Cascades region in Washington state.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby iandsmith » Wed 30 Nov, 2016 7:11 pm

Further north still, expand your horizons
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Wed 30 Nov, 2016 9:07 pm

I am wondering if there is granite in Alaska
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby iandsmith » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 2:30 pm

You need wonder no longer, now you need to name a town and I'll tell you a story
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Fri 02 Dec, 2016 7:11 pm

Not sure of a town, but Misty Fiords National Monument has some similarities
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby iandsmith » Sun 04 Dec, 2016 9:05 am

You've done well - here's the story behind it
The Truth About Ketchikan – I can recall the vision at any time. See the article before my eyes; my eyes that are wide open, and why wouldn’t they be? 9 DEAD IN AIR CRASH. The headline still reverberates around in my head.
It was about the exact same route that I was about to book us both on. The exact same type of plane. An exact same bunch of expectant tourists had gone to their death against a sheer massive wall of rock that I was booking us to fly past; well, hopefully past. It’s the exact sort of thing you never want to hear about before you embark on such an excursion, let alone book it with knowledge of such matter beforehand.
Lorraine, who has never heard about the headline or the article, was nonetheless venting her concerns on the other side of the table. “Small planes crash”, she argued vehemently. Far be it from me to argue with her on that score. I was reminded of way back when Jason and I went heli-skiing in New Zealand. There are always crashes you can read about over there, be it chopper or light plane; but we willingly went anyway and enjoyed one of the great days of our lives. Thus I reconciled the Misty Fiords excursion.
The actual one I booked us on was with a different company to that which the tragedy had befallen, that was my only out, but I knew it wouldn’t wash with Lorraine so I said nothing.
The day arrives at it’s the only excursion that we don’t have paper work for, something Lorraine is unaccustomed to. I suggest that it’s fine, be at the wharf at 10.40 and someone will call out our name. That’s wholly inadequate for Lorraine but we wander around the town for a (very) short time then check in at the Information Centre, where every tour company in Alaska seems to have a bench. I easily locate Misty Fiords Air and find out that it’s actually 11.40 we leave and, we are booked, and all we have to do is wait by the sculpture outside.
So it’s off shopping again, in one block by the cruise ships there are 9 jewellery shops all side by side and they make up marginally less than half of such shops in the town. Turns out that the majority are actually owned by the cruise ships but we luck out at one.
It’s an outlet that only has works by a man named Eddie Lee, a Vietnamese refugee who carves exquisite works out of mammoth tusks, mammoth teeth, polished buffalo horn, soapstone and walrus tusks. The piece de resistance as you enter the door is a carving that took 4 years and represents 10,000 years of human evolution. The detail is intricate, the workmanship of the highest order, the result world class. Apparently it’s destined for the Smithsonian; it deserves posterity, it’s that sort of piece. The rest of his work isn’t far behind, the man is clearly gifted.
Some of the “streets” are nothing more than stairways but they still have mail, garbage and other essential services. I know of one that has 233 steps. Another interesting fact about the town is that it doesn’t have a football ground. The reason being that there’s so much precipitation (391 centimetres a year average) it washes the soil away.
Then it’s off to the bus. We get on with about 7 Asians who start chatting in Japanese and Lorraine says she’s not flying with them. Soon after, one turns to me and asks in clear English where we’re from. He’s from Melbourne. I hope he hasn’t heard our conversation.
We’re waiting for a pair who haven’t turned up. For 20 minutes the company try everything but it’s their first no-show of the year so we head off down the bay to our departure point. Turns out we get a De Havilland Beaver all to ourselves and our pilot, Jim, exudes an air of calm. He’s been flying in these regions since the late 70’s so he’s no doubt seen all sorts of weather, such as the showery stuff we’re having today, before.
The seats are comfortable and I’m in the co-pilot’s chair, purportedly to get a better view though I suspect Lorraine’s better positioned immediately behind me. After the coastal cloud we fly across a hundred lakes of all shape and size, many where trees don’t grow because of the acid that leeches from the ground.
This is the land of water and soon we’re flying through the advertised misty fiords. Gossamer thin white sheets float blissfully between sheer cliffs, shaped 12,000 years ago by a million tonnes of ice and now topped by last night’s snowfall.
Jim spots some mountain goats and banks toward them so we can get a better view. They are generally remote creatures and close-ups are very rare and we certainly don’t get too near them but it’s interesting nonetheless to see these creatures who are actually classified as goat antelopes.
I can’t help thinking that it’s one of these cliffs that the plane crashed into but the joy of Lorraine and the constancy of the spectacular scenery keep it in the back of my mind. We weave around mountains, tilting this way and that, vista upon vista unfolding until we swing back, returning to a horseshoe shaped canyon we’d passed before, complete with its own untouched tarn.
Gliding into the gap Jim puts the plane down with such gentleness you feel like you’re dreaming it all.
It’s where we get our stop, not the advertised walk on an island, but something much better as Jim putters the Otter towards a bank at the end of a tiny peninsula for only the second time this season. We feel privileged to land here and Lorraine immediately requests a photo because we both recognize the speciality of the place.
I get permission to dart off in the woods to investigate the sound of a waterfall. The ground is merely a bog with vegetation on it. Everywhere it’s like a sponge and water oozes from every footfall. The colours are rich and varied, the first kiss of autumn has turned some plants and their stark beauty is highlighted against the rich green forest background. A dappling of coloured leaves where water droplets have found refuge is laid out before me as if to guide my excursion.
I scamper off and discover a furrow in the forest where water has taken its course and denied the taller vegetation. A thin hued line marks its route before it turns and meanders into the tarn. I can’t thank Jim enough for diverting from the norm; I’m totally entranced, smitten by the wildness and raw energy that emanate from this location and yet it’s also the silence that beckons wonderment. It’s the sort of moment that you hope for while visiting Alaska, something to grasp hold of when memories are regurgitated, a prized possession for the mind.
All too soon it’s up and away again, with Jim forewarning us to ignore the cliff that we’re heading for as he doesn’t plan to run into it, something that has a lot more meaning for me I suspect! The plane gently curves around as we near it and we rotate 180 degrees as he guns it and we head for the opening.
We’re back above the snow and heading for a band of serious cloud; it’s the only time I’m really concerned as it envelopes us, rain pelting the windscreen. Fortunately it only takes a minute and we’re through to the other side and Ketchikan beckons us. The landing is so smooth, as was the whole flight, as to be indistinguishable from actually being in the air. Lorraine’s joy knows no bounds, her gushing rhetoric of the whole experience brings a wave of relief over me; the day’s activity has been a profound success.
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Sun 04 Dec, 2016 3:04 pm

Nice story Ian.

Thanks

Back to NZ for now.
NZ1333.jpg
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby iandsmith » Sun 04 Dec, 2016 4:09 pm

Is that in the North Island? Reminds me of a place I saw years ago, maybe around Coromandel somewhere.
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Sun 04 Dec, 2016 5:01 pm

North Island is right, not Coromandel - check the rock type..
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Caedo12 » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 4:48 am

Taranaki Falls?
Caedo12
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby eggs » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 7:28 am

Yes - Taranaki Falls near Mt Ruapehu
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Caedo12 » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 6:18 pm

What famous river am I looking at here? USA
Attachments
P1020581.jpg
Caedo12
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 8:10 pm

Reminds me of the Colorado River along parts of the rail corridor west of Denver.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Caedo12 » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 4:15 am

You're in the right general area of the country, but think further south
Caedo12
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Graham51 » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 5:24 am

Rio Grande?
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Caedo12 » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 4:29 am

Yep you've got it Graham51, over to you
Caedo12
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Graham51 » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 6:42 am

I don't have a lot so will put up this one. What am I looking at? (Do I need to say it's in USA or is it obvious?)
Attachments
016 (Custom).JPG
016 (Custom).JPG (95.47 KiB) Viewed 21511 times
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 2:12 pm

That would be the famous (or infamous?) Half Dome Graham. Having stood at the very bottom of that valley looking up at the enormity of the face it was somewhat overwhelming.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Graham51 » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 5:45 pm

johnw wrote:That would be the famous (or infamous?) Half Dome Graham. Having stood at the very bottom of that valley looking up at the enormity of the face it was somewhat overwhelming.

Yes, pretty speccy. We climbed Clouds Rest which is one of those mountains behind Half Dome in this picture, I think.
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Thu 08 Dec, 2016 1:27 am

Graham51 wrote:
johnw wrote:That would be the famous (or infamous?) Half Dome Graham. Having stood at the very bottom of that valley looking up at the enormity of the face it was somewhat overwhelming.

Yes, pretty speccy. We climbed Clouds Rest which is one of those mountains behind Half Dome in this picture, I think.

Thanks Graham, I actually enquired at Wawona about doing the walk to the top (chains) of Half Dome. The lady in the small visitor office looked at me like I had just grown two heads and suggested I choose something less challenging :roll:. In any case it didn't matter, the track was still closed after winter.

I'm not sure how this one will go but let's give it a try. Name this South Pacific port:
DSC01844 resized.JPG
Lautoka Harbour - Viti Levu, Fiji
Last edited by johnw on Wed 14 Dec, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Fri 09 Dec, 2016 11:09 am

Time for a clue. There is an international airport about 22 km away.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 12:57 am

Such a sweet place
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 9:53 pm

johnw wrote:Time for a clue. There is an international airport about 22 km away.
johnw wrote:Such a sweet place

Ni sa Bula. Please let me know if you would like another clue. Vinaka vaka levu.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Tue 13 Dec, 2016 9:54 pm

Sugar City
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Tue 13 Dec, 2016 11:33 pm

Sorry John. Have not had any chance to research this.
No idea which country even - though my school days suggest Fiji had lot of sugar.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 9:08 am

eggs wrote:Sorry John. Have not had any chance to research this.
No idea which country even - though my school days suggest Fiji had lot of sugar.

No worries eggs, it's that time of year :). Yes, the country is Fiji. The most recent clue I posted is likely to reveal the location.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Wed 14 Dec, 2016 10:04 am

Lautoka?
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii