PV camping rules confusion

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

PV camping rules confusion

Postby neilmny » Mon 26 Dec, 2016 12:04 pm

As an aside to the crossing debacle, being a generally law abiding citizen, I've been trying to get a handle on general dispersed camping rules.
I've read what 13-115sr.docx page 45 (google 13-115sr.docx and you'll find it) has to offer which is -

PART 9—CAMPING AND CAMP FIRES
Division 1—Dispersed camping
82 Areas for dispersed camping
r. 82
The Secretary by determination may set aside an area of a park other than an occupation site as an area for camping.
83 Dispersed camping must be in areas set aside
A person must not camp in a park, other than

(a) in an area set aside under regulation 82; or
(b) at an occupation site.
Penalty: 10 penalty units.
Note
Camping at occupation sites is controlled under section 21 of the Act and regulation 85.
84 Restrictions on dispersed camping
(1) A person who camps in an area of a park set aside under regulation 82 must not camp—
(a) within 20 metres of any river, stream, well, spring, creek, dam, bore or watercourse; or
(b) within 20 metres landward of the high water mark.
(2) If, in a determination under regulation 82, no limitation has been placed on the period for which a person may camp in an area, a person must not camp in the area for more than 42 consecutive nights.
(3) A person who camps on a site within an area of a park set aside under regulation 82 must maintain the site free of litter.
(4) A person who camps on a site within an area of a park set aside under regulation 82 must, before vacating the site, clear from the site all litter and personal equipment for which the person is responsible.

Then I read on the PV web site regarding the Alpine National Park - http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... do/camping

Around Bright, Mount Beauty, Omeo and Dargo

Dispersed bush camping is permitted throughout the area except within 200 metres of the Bogong High Plains or Pretty Valley Roads.

Toilets, picnic tables and fireplaces are provided at the following camping areas:

JB Plain between Hotham Village and Dinner Plain on the Great Alpine Road (walk in only)
Buckety Plain, Rasberry Hill and Langfords West (horse yards) on the Bogong High Plains east of Falls Creek
Mountain Creek at the foot of Mt Bogong near Tawonga

This has me totally confused as scores of people camp in the PV area (and at the same time on weekends or holidays) on the PV Road and I doubt any of them are more than 50 metres off the road.

Raising the question - are all these campers in contravention of R85 and etc. and therefore liable to fines of 10 penalty units (The current value of a penalty unit is $155.46).
The harder I look the more cked up it seems to be. :roll: My head hurts :cry:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: PV camping rules confusion

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 26 Dec, 2016 3:29 pm

It all seems to be have drafted by somebody from "Yes Minister".
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Xplora » Tue 27 Dec, 2016 5:28 am

It is possible for the area around Pretty Valley hut and yards to be one set aside for dispersed camping so that would negate the 200m exclusion for that small part but then the rest of the road would be subject to no camping. There are some signs which say Camping Prohibited and others No Camping. A significant difference is the former is enforceable and the later is not. To find areas set aside by the Secretary you would need to search the government gazette. If no area has been set aside near Pretty Valley hut or yards then all those (including me) who camp there are committing an offence. The other possibility is Parks Vic do not like to enforce any regulation. Reading more regulations regarding fires, waste disposal and so on I see people doing the wrong thing under the nose of the rangers but nothing happens. I know of someone who sets up camp in the same spot for 3 months every year. Not a small camp either and the rangers are OK with it. A bushwalker's kit should now include a tape measure as should an authorised ranger. This is poorly written legislation but the wording will not change unless someone challenges it in court and wins. To challenge it you must be prosecuted. To be prosecuted you have to get an authorised ranger to take action. Full circle. Nothing will happen.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Tue 27 Dec, 2016 9:26 am

There's lot's to suggest camping at Pretty Valley is unofficially ok. The hordes that gather there for one and a google will bring up a lot including this http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/Vict ... mping-area The strange thing is, in regards to camping, almost everywhere else around the Bogong area except Pretty Valley rates a mention on the PV camping page.

I read something once on PV (which I haven't been able to find since) which stated (not word for word) that dispersed camping was permitted throughout our national parks except where specifically prohibited. The rules need to become straight forward but the risk in that being done, given the extreme lack of funds, is that the cheapest administration option would be to simply ban camping everywhere. :shock:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CaptainC » Mon 02 Jan, 2017 6:32 pm

If you download Alpine NP - Wabonga Plateau, Mount Cobbler, Powers Lookout - Park note (PDF 1.9 MB) (from http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... ional-park) the Pretty Valley is shown as a campsite
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Tue 03 Jan, 2017 10:21 am

CaptainC wrote:If you download Alpine NP - Wabonga Plateau, Mount Cobbler, Powers Lookout - Park note (PDF 1.9 MB) (from http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... ional-park) the Pretty Valley is shown as a campsite

I can't see Pretty Valley on that map CaptainC. It is for the ANP around the Howqua/Cobbler area.

See this one http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... -Dargo.pdf
It's on this one, page 3. Fires, horses and picnic tables shown but no camping symbol.
See also page 4 which re iterates "Dispersed bush camping is permitted throughout the area, except within 200 metres of the Bogong High Plains or Pretty Valley Roads."

Reference to Pretty Valley is also not shown on this one http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... hertop.pdf
But Tawonga Huts is. Nothing indicated near PV Pondage. This park note is the referred to note 2 in the one above.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sat 07 Jan, 2017 12:53 pm

Clarified on page 133 of the Greater ANP management plan.
"Conditions
Dispersed camping (that is, camping outside designated camping areas, including dispersed camping with horses) is permitted across much of the planning area except within the following areas.
All Reference Areas
Alpine NP: within 200 m of Bogong High Plains Rd, Pretty Valley Rd or Howitt High Plains Rd or within 100 m of camping areas associated with the Falls to Hotham Alpine Crossing."
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CaptainC » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 9:25 pm

The next paragraph in the management plan says to maintain Tawonga Huts, Pretty Valley and Langford West as designated camping area, including facilities to allow camping with horses. pg 96. If in doubt ring Parks Vic and ask to speak to the Mount Beauty office.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria