Hannels Spur - Mt. Kosciuszko - Sat. 4th Feb. 2017 - Solo

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Hannels Spur - Mt. Kosciuszko - Sat. 4th Feb. 2017 - Sol

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 07 Apr, 2018 3:53 pm

I say right on brothers and sisters. I am all for cutting and tagging the Hannel's spur track so that it remains open to bushwalkers for many years to come. If you want to suffer by scrub bashing straight up a wall of sorts then there are plenty of places you can do that.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sun 08 Apr, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA
Region: Victoria

Postby Xplora » Sun 08 Apr, 2018 6:48 am

Tyreless wrote:Big effort by those involved and, without wanting to take anything away from them, it seems I am very much in the minority for wanting the spur to return to its natural state.

Likely you are in the minority but I would, regardless of my own view, defend your right to share yours. And thanks for doing so as it did make me review my own thoughts and the arguments of others regarding this track and tracks in general. There are a number of tracks I know which have become less popular over time and when you review why you find a number of reasons. Fire regrowth is common, and along with that fallen trees which make for obstacles to climb over. Those tracks not often used before the fire do not get the funding to clear by parks staff. Why are they not often used? Too hard maybe for the majority? For Hannels, my view was swayed by because of its historical value and that it is truly a climb to Australia's highest peaks. Also that it had been relatively passable prior to the fire. We should be mindful of your view and ensure we do not simply clear tracks so we can enjoy our pastimes or to seek a challenging walk. I am not in favour of cutting new tracks to make things easier.

My recent discussions with the local PV had some chat about tracks like Hannels and their view is that some tracks will be defined by use but some limited marking could be placed in troublesome areas on the track so those encouraged to do them by reading some random report may not fall foul if they do not possess the skills.
Xplora
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Zapruda » Mon 09 Apr, 2018 5:57 am

I did the walk this weekend and have put some updated info and pics here - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27627
Zapruda
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby darsenator » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 12:21 am

I've read that some track maintenance work has being done recently (April 2018).
https://wild.com.au/featured/hannelspur-cleared-hikers/

Has anyone done the walk recently ?

I'm aiming to give it a go January/2019.
darsenator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 8:27 am

darsenator wrote:I've read that some track maintenance work has being done recently (April 2018).
https://wild.com.au/featured/hannelspur-cleared-hikers/

Has anyone done the walk recently ?

I'm aiming to give it a go January/2019.

Yeah, I did it in April just after the cutting of the upper section of the track. Here is my trip report - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=27627

Let me know if you have any questions.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sass2012 » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 11:32 am

Hi Zapruda,

I've changed my date to doing it Mid November/2018 (too long to wait for January/2019).
Just read your posting...so took you 6.5 hours up and then 3 hours down.... (great effort).

I'll be carrying a GPS,Topo map and compass as part of my standard equipment.

Looks like a nice track to take on.....how thick was the scrub when you ventured out ?

regards
sass2012
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby Zapruda » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:40 am

sass2012 wrote:Hi Zapruda,

I've changed my date to doing it Mid November/2018 (too long to wait for January/2019).
Just read your posting...so took you 6.5 hours up and then 3 hours down.... (great effort).

I'll be carrying a GPS,Topo map and compass as part of my standard equipment.

Looks like a nice track to take on.....how thick was the scrub when you ventured out ?

regards

Sounds great! Keep in mind there will be some large snow drifts on the east facing slopes above the tree line well in to November. They shouldn't be a problem but may slow you down a little.

The scrub was heavy right up until Moiras flat. I generally don't mind scrub but it was quite thick on the lower sections.

The walk is great and navigation is easy. Just head up :)

Let us know how it goes.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bauplenut » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 3:32 pm

Good post. Four of us are going to do it in first week of December, plus other walking around Main Range whilst there.
bauplenut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Previous

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes