Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby PeteWolf » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi all, long time reader first time poster :D

in 2yrs ill be undertaking a life event that will take me a few years to accomplish, ill be doing the triple crown ( planned with the Appalachian Trail last and to finish in maine, then a hop over to St. John in Newfoundland to start the Trans Canada Trail ), not only do i want this under my belt as a life achievement ill also be writing a series of books ( undecided as to what yet, but im getting aloooot of feedback to produce some books on the actual trails themselves )

i have a touch over 2yrs for planning, saving, research etc ( have been doing this for the past 2yrs as well )

question i have is, has anyone attempted the triple crown ( Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide Trail, Appalachian Trail ) here? or the trans canada trail? if so, any info to offer?

thanks in advance :)
PeteWolf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:21 pm
Region: Queensland
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby norts » Sun 10 Sep, 2017 7:37 pm

I have done the AT '14 and PCT '16 and the CDT is in the planning for next year.
Happy to give any info/advice that I can.
User avatar
norts
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Germantown Tas.
Region: Tasmania

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 Sep, 2017 6:48 am

Try Cam Honan too, he did the three US trails together and is a friendly fella: (he's a member here but: https://www.thehikinglife.com/

Has anyone completed the Trans Canada Trail?
坚果
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 7831
Joined: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 12:22 pm
Region: Tasmania

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby PeteWolf » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:13 pm

Nuts wrote:Try Cam Honan too, he did the three US trails together and is a friendly fella: (he's a member here but: https://www.thehikinglife.com/

Has anyone completed the Trans Canada Trail?


i dont beleive anyone has done the TCT all the way through at once, canada national geographic did a story on a guy that did it over 9yrs, and theres currently a young chick doing it at the moment ( but she stopped for a month and went back home for xmas ) and is planning to stop when winter gets bad )

i myself am planing on doing it all the way through at once ( except for the water sections of the trail in which ill either be following the railway in the same direction of the trans canada highway ), most people stop for winter because of the snow but i plan on pushing through ( at the moment trying to reduce my gear list to accommodate the extra winter gear i need ), training for thats going to be fun as well :lol: , i hoping to be the only aussie to dip a toe in each 3 coasts ( but if im not meh, not about the glory, its all about the experience )



basically any info im chasing on all 4 trails is weird info lol, something you cant read online and have personally experienced, hints and tips are always welcome to certain trails, every little bit of info helps :)
PeteWolf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:21 pm
Region: Queensland
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby PeteWolf » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 1:29 am

also, what was everyones budget? and did you overspend or underspend etc etc?
PeteWolf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:21 pm
Region: Queensland
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby norts » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 9:31 am

AT about AUD$9K ; PCT about AUD $11K
That figure doesnt include initial set up of gear or flights but does include replacement/change of gear.
You can do it alot cheaper. I like a motel to myself every now and then and I use alot of freeze dried meals. I drank a fair bit of alcohol on the AT but alot less on the PCT, think that was to do with who I was hiking with and the culture on the AT.
Dont tell yourself you wont stay in towns , you need those town stops to recharge your self. Also you need to allow for injuries and illness, I had to get of trail for both on seperate occassions and each time was for about 4 days.
The PCT was harder mentally (your time frame is alot tighter so you are always conscious of having to keep going).
The AT was much harder physically( the climbs are steeper and the tread is alot rougher)
Weather on both trails was a burden. I had to get off trail a couple of times on both trails because of snow storms.
AT - lots of rain ( no rain no pain no Maine) humidity in Mid Atlantic States was a big surprise and very draining, lots of thunderstorms in the afternoons.
PCT -The heat of the desert (dont forget your umbrella) and heavy water carries was hard work. I had a low snow year in the Sierras so was pretty lucky. Also just got to Canada before the first major snow dump.

Planning
It is handy if you can find someone in the US to be your back up, to hold gear that is not needed and to send it on when you do require it, ie snow gear maps etc.
AT - you can basically get on the trail and just start walking, just need a good guide book In '14 most were using AWOl. You dont need to plan resupplies. Hint always check your guide when you get to roads , never know if there is a little store half a mile down the road, you dont want to miss out on sodas and ice cream
PCT - You need to plan some food drops, I mainly bought as i went but sent food drops to a few spots) I just sent food from a large town just before. I used Yogis guide book and Halfmiles and guthooks phone apps. I also carried paper maps and a compass. The trail most of the way is easy to follow and you need to really only need basic navigation ie do i go left or right at this trail junction. I also used a resupply company for some food drops, Sonora Pass resupply, there is also Zero Day Resupply.

CDT- People say that you should only do the CDT after gaining experience on another thru hike first. I am doing alot more planning for this one , there is alot of alternates for the trail so I have alot of maps. and trying to plan where to resupply and where to send food is going to be an involved process.

Hope this helps

Taz
User avatar
norts
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Germantown Tas.
Region: Tasmania

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby PeteWolf » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 2:06 pm

norts wrote:AT about AUD$9K ; PCT about AUD $11K
That figure doesnt include initial set up of gear or flights but does include replacement/change of gear.
You can do it alot cheaper. I like a motel to myself every now and then and I use alot of freeze dried meals. I drank a fair bit of alcohol on the AT but alot less on the PCT, think that was to do with who I was hiking with and the culture on the AT.
Dont tell yourself you wont stay in towns , you need those town stops to recharge your self. Also you need to allow for injuries and illness, I had to get of trail for both on seperate occassions and each time was for about 4 days.
The PCT was harder mentally (your time frame is alot tighter so you are always conscious of having to keep going).
The AT was much harder physically( the climbs are steeper and the tread is alot rougher)
Weather on both trails was a burden. I had to get off trail a couple of times on both trails because of snow storms.
AT - lots of rain ( no rain no pain no Maine) humidity in Mid Atlantic States was a big surprise and very draining, lots of thunderstorms in the afternoons.
PCT -The heat of the desert (dont forget your umbrella) and heavy water carries was hard work. I had a low snow year in the Sierras so was pretty lucky. Also just got to Canada before the first major snow dump.

Planning
It is handy if you can find someone in the US to be your back up, to hold gear that is not needed and to send it on when you do require it, ie snow gear maps etc.
AT - you can basically get on the trail and just start walking, just need a good guide book In '14 most were using AWOl. You dont need to plan resupplies. Hint always check your guide when you get to roads , never know if there is a little store half a mile down the road, you dont want to miss out on sodas and ice cream
PCT - You need to plan some food drops, I mainly bought as i went but sent food drops to a few spots) I just sent food from a large town just before. I used Yogis guide book and Halfmiles and guthooks phone apps. I also carried paper maps and a compass. The trail most of the way is easy to follow and you need to really only need basic navigation ie do i go left or right at this trail junction. I also used a resupply company for some food drops, Sonora Pass resupply, there is also Zero Day Resupply.

CDT- People say that you should only do the CDT after gaining experience on another thru hike first. I am doing alot more planning for this one , there is alot of alternates for the trail so I have alot of maps. and trying to plan where to resupply and where to send food is going to be an involved process.

Hope this helps

Taz


Awesome info thanks mate, yeah i have a few friends in the US and canada that are going to help with resupply dumps and gear holding for me, and lucky enough to have a few friends in the yukon that will be helping as well ( ones even going to go to the extent of a supply drop via chopper for for a few bottles of bundy rum :lol: :lol: ), weather doesnt really bother me, it never really has for some reason lol just one foot after another until it starts getting dark lol, at the moment im doing a day by day "rough" route map kind of thing, gives me an idea of where ill be ( basically doing 25km sections, some days might walk more or less, but it gives me a rough idea of whats around, where to wild camp, where the towns are that i can resupply etc etc )

im planning on spending a week in most big towns to recoupe and regenerate ( when i say a week i mean between 3 and 7 days depending on the town ) and to assess injuries if any, alsso to go through gear and resupply or replace.

that budgets pretty good actually i had around $12,000 pinned for each trail ( except the trans canada and i havnt worked that one out yet ), as my friends say give me a can of baked beans and a loaf of bread and ill feed an army for a week :lol: , i pretty much know how much ill go through a day with previous hikes as an indicator, at one time i wanted to see how much food i could carry on a multi day hike ( 15 day hike ), was able to carry 11 days worth, mostly freeze dried meals, water supplied from the trusty MSR guardian, going to try and limit the food carrige to about 7 days so i can carry more winter gear, but we'll see
PeteWolf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:21 pm
Region: Queensland
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby PeteWolf » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 2:08 pm

oh.. and im a queenslander.. im used to humidity :lol:
PeteWolf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:21 pm
Region: Queensland
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby norts » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 2:52 pm

Thru hiking is different to other hiking, you a like a marathon runner, you dont want to carry anything you dont need. So everything is pared down.
On the AT I averaged about 18 miles a day about 29kms, the PCT about 22 or 35kms. Doing those sort of distances your pack has to be light or you wont get the distances needed done or you will injure your self. I wasnt very fast compared to the younger crowd.
I dont think you will need 3-7 days in town, I found if I needed a good zero ie I was pretty worn out, I would camp close to town so I could get into town early next day do all my chores, resupply,washing and eat. I then could have the next day to relax and eat , then walk out of town on the 3rd , usually straight after breakfast. I would try and do that about once a fortnight and throw in a nero in betweenwhen resupplying
After a while the only thing that counts on the trail is how many miles to the next town feed.

My typical day (when there were no towns to hit) would be awake at 430/5 , breakfast, on the trail by about 6, walk until lunch, snacking on bars all morning , stop for lunch, about 1/2 hr , then walk to between 5 & 6 , maybe a bit earlier if I found a good campsite. I usually would start looking for one from about 430pm.
Alot of ppl hike until dark but I usally was up before them so I was still doing the same amount of hours but more in the morning. 10 miles by 10 am was all ways my goal, didnt always work !

Have a good selection of music, pod casts and audio books on your mp3. Sometimes the days are long with out much to look out or you just need some music to get you moving. The faster the beat the faster the feet!

A few pyschological games helped too, dont look at how far to go early on, just count the small milestones, The first 100miles, the first 500, much better than " I have only got 2000 miles and 4 months to go". Once over half way it gets better as long as you dont say I have still got to do the same as what I have just done. that is demoralising.
Another saying on the trail is dont quit on a bad day, do it on a good one.

Taz

Taz
User avatar
norts
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Germantown Tas.
Region: Tasmania

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby PeteWolf » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 1:36 pm

norts wrote:Thru hiking is different to other hiking, you a like a marathon runner, you dont want to carry anything you dont need. So everything is pared down.
On the AT I averaged about 18 miles a day about 29kms, the PCT about 22 or 35kms. Doing those sort of distances your pack has to be light or you wont get the distances needed done or you will injure your self. I wasnt very fast compared to the younger crowd.
I dont think you will need 3-7 days in town, I found if I needed a good zero ie I was pretty worn out, I would camp close to town so I could get into town early next day do all my chores, resupply,washing and eat. I then could have the next day to relax and eat , then walk out of town on the 3rd , usually straight after breakfast. I would try and do that about once a fortnight and throw in a nero in betweenwhen resupplying
After a while the only thing that counts on the trail is how many miles to the next town feed.

My typical day (when there were no towns to hit) would be awake at 430/5 , breakfast, on the trail by about 6, walk until lunch, snacking on bars all morning , stop for lunch, about 1/2 hr , then walk to between 5 & 6 , maybe a bit earlier if I found a good campsite. I usually would start looking for one from about 430pm.
Alot of ppl hike until dark but I usally was up before them so I was still doing the same amount of hours but more in the morning. 10 miles by 10 am was all ways my goal, didnt always work !

Have a good selection of music, pod casts and audio books on your mp3. Sometimes the days are long with out much to look out or you just need some music to get you moving. The faster the beat the faster the feet!

A few pyschological games helped too, dont look at how far to go early on, just count the small milestones, The first 100miles, the first 500, much better than " I have only got 2000 miles and 4 months to go". Once over half way it gets better as long as you dont say I have still got to do the same as what I have just done. that is demoralising.
Another saying on the trail is dont quit on a bad day, do it on a good one.

Taz

Taz

yeah iv done a few thru hikes and many loops and as you said one thing you dont do is think " great half way... half more to go" lol very demorlizing lol, only reason im spending between 3 and 7 days in certain towns is to do the touristy things, see friends etc, want to enjoy myself on a few different levels other than jusst doing the thru hike

and yes i have a very large selection of music for the trip :lol: about 700gb worth :lol: but i will be looking at vocal books and things, music gets abit boring sometimes, and yes i totally agree faster the music faster the feet! ( rock on five finger death punch :D :lol: )

at present i have a 65L blackwolf mckinley pack and a 30L tempo daypack( yes i went mad on the blackwolf site with the credit card :lol: ) with all my gear as well as 2 trek poles strapped to the outside main pack im pretty comfortable with the weight ( usually around 20kg depending on how much food and water i have ) for my normal gear, havnt had the chance to weigh it with all the winter gear attached yet, but im ditching my old tent before the trek for a new 4 season one, and few other things will change so im assuming even with the winter gear, food and water it'll be around the 20kg mark ( by no means a ultralight weight trekker here :lol: ) but hey.. im not going to hike into -50C outback canada with simple and basic supplies lol
PeteWolf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun 10 Sep, 2017 5:21 pm
Region: Queensland
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby norts » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 8:22 pm

Just an update on my attempt to earn a Triple Crown by completing my third leg. I was booked to fly to the US next month to start the CDT. I have always said you need to be lucky to be a thru hiker. Mine ran out last week.
I suffered a mild heart attack and have had a stent place in one of my heart arteries. I have been advised not to go . The strain of a thru hike and also the CDT has alot of walking at altitude has convinced me to take the advice . So the CDT is on hold to next year!
I will still be walking here in Tassie.
norts
User avatar
norts
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Germantown Tas.
Region: Tasmania

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby digbyg » Fri 16 Mar, 2018 7:15 am

That's bad luck but better here than there. You should be right for next year as the stent settles in. Mine did and I had no worries with the 500mi on the PCT. Go well.
digbyg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu 27 Jun, 2013 3:42 pm
Region: Queensland
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby Turfa » Fri 16 Mar, 2018 8:04 am

Hi PeteWolf,

I have thru-hiked the AT and am heading off to do the PCT in 8 weeks.
Thru-hiking a long distance trail is probably going to be quite different to what you expect (unless you have already done it) A 20kg+ pack that you think is OK for a trip of a few days will become your most hated enemy on a long thru when you have to do 30km day after day for 4-5 months. Probably the best thing you can do to increase your chances of success is to get your pack weight down. My base weight (excluding food & water) for the PCT is 6kg, and I am still not considered ultra-light :)
Have you thought about trying the AT first ? This is by far the easiest of the Triple Crown trails as far as logistics and planning goes, and is probably the best one to get the feel for long distance hiking. You could pretty much just turn up at Springer Mtn with 3 days of food and start walking North.
Cheers,
Turfa
User avatar
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon 18 Jan, 2010 2:06 pm
Region: Australia

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby Turfa » Fri 16 Mar, 2018 8:09 am

norts wrote:Just an update on my attempt to earn a Triple Crown by completing my third leg. I was booked to fly to the US next month to start the CDT. I have always said you need to be lucky to be a thru hiker. Mine ran out last week.
I suffered a mild heart attack and have had a stent place in one of my heart arteries. I have been advised not to go . The strain of a thru hike and also the CDT has alot of walking at altitude has convinced me to take the advice . So the CDT is on hold to next year!
I will still be walking here in Tassie.
norts


Sorry to hear that Norts ! not sure your luck ran out though, probably better it happened at home and not somewhere in the boonies of New Mexico.
User avatar
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon 18 Jan, 2010 2:06 pm
Region: Australia

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby bikehikesafari » Sun 08 Apr, 2018 8:01 am

Hi PeteWolf,

I am an Aussie and completed the Hiking Triple Crown last year. I hiked the PCT 15, CDT 16, AT 17.
All are tough trails for their own reasons. My costs for the trails were approx PCT $6500, CDT $9500, AT $5500. The CDT is easily the most expensive of the trails. Places to stay in the state of Colorado are very expensive. The AT was the cheapest for several reasons, firstly, there are so many towns it is easy to just walk into each town and resupply without staying. Secondly there are a lot of cheaper hostels compared to the other trails.
To all of you good luck on your hikes this season.
You can read more about my hikes in USA on my website. I've written a lot of info that will help you out. https://www.bikehikesafari.com

Norts,
sorry to hear about your health. We have a mutual friend, Rocky (PCT 16) from Germany. She is sitting next to me right now and says hello and wishes you well.
bikehikesafari
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue 21 Jan, 2014 9:42 pm
Region: Northern Territory
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby jimmeyer176 » Tue 10 Apr, 2018 10:13 am

norts wrote:Just an update on my attempt to earn a Triple Crown by completing my third leg. I was booked to fly to the US next month to start the CDT. I have always said you need to be lucky to be a thru hiker. Mine ran out last week.
I suffered a mild heart attack and have had a stent place in one of my heart arteries. I have been advised not to go . The strain of a thru hike and also the CDT has alot of walking at altitude has convinced me to take the advice . So the CDT is on hold to next year!
I will still be walking here in Tassie.
norts


Better now than in the US, an uninsured person would be bankrupted in the US for a heart attack and surgery, easily over $100,000
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 3:12 pm
Region: New South Wales

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:31 am

norts wrote:Just an update on my attempt to earn a Triple Crown by completing my third leg. I was booked to fly to the US next month to start the CDT. I have always said you need to be lucky to be a thru hiker. Mine ran out last week.
I suffered a mild heart attack and have had a stent place in one of my heart arteries. I have been advised not to go . The strain of a thru hike and also the CDT has alot of walking at altitude has convinced me to take the advice . So the CDT is on hold to next year!
I will still be walking here in Tassie.
norts


I am mostly a lurker here and purveyor of all things market place (love a bit of buying/selling/trading) but felt compelled to reply to this. Norts, through my lurking and extensive reading of the forums, I have enjoyed your posts immensely and learned lot out from them. Sorry to hear about the heart attack, hope you are feeling better and the stent is doing what it needs to. Enjoy those trails in Tassie, look after yourself and go get your triple crown when you are ready.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri 23 Mar, 2018 11:26 am
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Female

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby norts » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:48 am

Thank you for that Ms_Mudd. Very kind words.
I do have a bit of an update.
My walk is back on for this year but walking from Canada to Mexico(SoBo). This means I can start later and have a bit of time to get fit(I need it).
I fly to Seattle in mid June. My pack will be a bit heavier though, I will be carrying alot of pills!
I have been back into training for a week.

So to everyone that has commented TY.

norts( or as I am known in the US Taz.)
User avatar
norts
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Germantown Tas.
Region: Tasmania

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:55 am

BRILLIANT news! I am genuinely so pleased to hear this update.
I love it, you have been given lemons and made some seriously fine lemonade with them. Good on you for working out a way it can be done. SoBo timing seems perfect.
Yes, can't go UL on those pills...although...you could empty out the capsules into a ziplock bag and discard the capsule case :P :lol:
Look forward to hearing of your adventures.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri 23 Mar, 2018 11:26 am
Region: New South Wales
Gender: Female

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby dagsands » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:15 am

norts wrote:Thank you for that Ms_Mudd. Very kind words.
I do have a bit of an update.
My walk is back on for this year but walking from Canada to Mexico(SoBo). This means I can start later and have a bit of time to get fit(I need it).
I fly to Seattle in mid June. My pack will be a bit heavier though, I will be carrying alot of pills!
I have been back into training for a week.

So to everyone that has commented TY.

norts( or as I am known in the US Taz.)


So no posts from norts since mid-June when he was meant to be heading out. Anyone heard from him? Curious to hear of his SOBO progress and how he feels the stent is working out. Perhaps he's somewhere about 1/3 of the way? norts if you're reading this and on the trail, best wishes!
A couple of dags and their pooch who live by the beach in their home named 'Dag Sands', of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun 26 Jul, 2015 12:04 pm
Location: NSW
Region: New South Wales

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby norts » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 9:15 am

Interesting that you should post today, I have been home a week. I only managed just over 500 miles, I had a knee problem.
No problems with my heart though.
Thank you for your thoughts dagsands.
User avatar
norts
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Germantown Tas.
Region: Tasmania

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby dagsands » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 7:36 pm

Glad you're safe and sound Norts. Sorry you had knee trouble.
So you've put 500 miles on your stent, excellent run in period :)!
To 'only manage just over 500 miles' would be above and beyond what most of us mere mortals could hope to achieve.
Thanks for the update, and best wishes.
A couple of dags and their pooch who live by the beach in their home named 'Dag Sands', of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun 26 Jul, 2015 12:04 pm
Location: NSW
Region: New South Wales

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby Al M » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 12:47 am

Hi Norts

We’re you able to get travel insurance cover while in the US with the stent as a pre-existing medical condition for those hike activities, as many insurers require this to be declared and approved by your doctor? If so which travel insurer
Al M
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun 28 May, 2017 2:15 am
Region: Western Australia
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby norts » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 10:01 am

No I couldnt get any coverage for heart condition. Just had to hope that I didnt have another heart attack. Also couldnt claim for my bad knee and shoulder that I reinjured over there. Pre existing.
User avatar
norts
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Germantown Tas.
Region: Tasmania

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby Al M » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 12:23 am

There are travel insurers like Covermore that are more generous and cover lower level heart related issues like coronary artery disease (common narrowed heart arteries from cholesterol and life style disease) as a manageable pre existing condition with doctors support. For example, I often trek in Nepal and other places to about 5000m altitude and some insurers only cover to 3500m, so I was able to get insurance. Perhaps enquire with Covermore and google for others as their process was straight forward.

I don’t have medical background but understand heart attack severity varies widely from low level angina light chest pain to worst case, so a pontetial heart incident can vary considerably. But still good to be wary and in best situation to deal with it and not take it lightly.
Al M
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun 28 May, 2017 2:15 am
Region: Western Australia
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone tried the US triple crown or trans canada trail?

Postby norts » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks I will look at it next time I head over.
User avatar
norts
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 10:45 am
Location: Germantown Tas.
Region: Tasmania


Return to International

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests