Arkaroola to Moolawatana circuit walk, August

Find people to walk or share transport with. Topics deleted after 365 idle days.
Forum rules
1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

There is a separate forum specifically for finding the Overland Track companions and transport.

Arkaroola to Moolawatana circuit walk, August

Postby mikethepike » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 6:29 pm

Arkaroola to Moolawatana and return circuit walk, Sat. 4th Sun. 19th August
This walk is in the northernmost Flinders Ranges and is what is widely regarded by walkers as the final stage of ‘Beyond the Heysen’ (Trail). It goes from Arkaroola village to Moolawatana and is 80-100 km depending on route choice and side trip options with the longer route having easier walking. Online accounts talk of walkers flying in or out of Moolawatana but the airstrip is no longer operational or safe for landings. This means that unless you have 2 cars for a 120 km each way ferrying at each end of the walk (and the road distance is 120 km despite the air route being 60 km) or an obliging family member to drop off and collect you, then you have no obvious alternative than to walk out and back. That’s what this trip will involve and it will be a circuit walk with a mailed food drop at Moolawatana for the return walk.

The walk will go from Arkaroola NW to Yudnamutana (water tank) north to Mt Crocker/Harris and then east over a NE trending range to Hamilton Creek which we follow to Moolawatana. We will spend an easy day near there and return back along Hamilton Creek to the lovely Granite Creek which we follow to Tee Junction Waterhole and the across hills and valleys back to Arkaroola. For those new to Arkaroola, we can detour on the way back to climb The Armchair.
The walk is around 100 km up and 80 km return. There will be 14 walking days in all (7 each way including a rest or no-pack side trip day) plus 2 days for the return 750 km drive from Adelaide.
About me, I have spent 9 months in the Flinders over the years and mainly for walking. If you are interested in possibly coming on this trip, please get in touch and I will email the map with the proposed route marked and other information.
Thanks and cheers,
Mike
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Arkaroola to Moolawatana circuit walk, August

Postby vernicosa » Thu 03 May, 2018 9:44 am

Hi Mike
It sounds like the sort of walk that would suit me. I'm surprised lots haven't jumped at the opportunity.

I'll PM you and we can discuss in more detail.
vernicosa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Find Walking Companions or Arrange Transport