[WTB] Haute Route Pyrenee (HRP) Maps

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

[WTB] Haute Route Pyrenee (HRP) Maps

Postby scoha » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 8:17 pm

Anybody willing to part with (or lend !) a set of maps that covers the HRP? Planning for a Aug/Sept traverse this year
scoha
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: [WTB] Haute Route Pyrenee (HRP) Maps

Postby Mark F » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 11:11 am

I am unwilling to sell my old RandoPyrenees maps (Nos 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 10, 11, 21, 22, 23) but could photocopy bits if required. These (hopefully updated) may be available from http://www.stanfords.co.uk/B%C3%A9arn-Aspe-Ossau-Pyrenees-National-Park-Rando-Editions-3_9782344008058 or other retailers. I would see what they have and then try to fill in the missing ones. I would also recommend Topo Pirineos for Garmin gps http://topopirineos.blogspot.com/ as a very useful and free map. You can load it into BaseCamp to view on a regular computer screen.

It is a fantastic walk. My avatar is a view from Hourquette d'Ossoue looking towards Vignemale.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Warin » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 12:27 pm

There is also https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=2018553 ... that will give you gpx/kml tracks for it .. click on the 'sections' tab to divide it up in to bits.
Warin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 2:32 pm

You have to watch out when using gpx tracks for the hrp. There are several versions of the hrp ranging from the original Georges Veron route and the more recent versions in the Cicerone guides by Ton Joosten with some differences between book editions plus any number of other variations. The Veron route was designed in the French style to deliver you to accommodation each evening while the Joosten routes assume some camping. In french this is bivouacking. Camping is car camping and often prohibited whereas you can bivouac most places once away from a road but only over night, the tent goes up after about 6pm must be down in the morning by 8am - times vary. There are several alternatives available if you enjoy tenting it which neither guide addresses. You also need a widish view of the area for detours, getting to and from resupply points, deal with weather issues, severe thunderstorms are common, etc..
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 5:49 pm

The link I gave has 2 routes.

One is a continuous route named "Haute Randonnée Pyrénéenne" described as "HRP Principale".

The other "HRP Variante" gives alternatives but is not a continuous route.
Warin

Region: New South Wales

Postby scoha » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 6:35 pm

Thank you both for your helpful info and tips - really appreciated. From what I can see its a bit of a weather juggle to complete the HRP before end of September (before chance of snow ramps up) (and closure of all or just some of the refuges ?? - be keen on your view on this aspect) and not starting too early in August to avoid worst of heat and holiday crowds. Im thinking 5 weeks (35 days) should probably do it but am reckoning on possibility of some snow at the tail end of September.
scoha
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mark F » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 7:10 pm

I would start the walk in the first half of August thus finishing mid to late September. This will certainly minimise the risks of snow but starting too early can also lead to snow issues as I found out in 2013 when I started at the end of June in a full on snow year. Don't worry too much about the heat, yes, it will be *&%$#! hot on the plains but you will be in the mountains and temps should be quite reasonable. From my times in the Pyrenees and the Alps you will mainly have mid 20s but don't plan on climbing out of a low valley in the early afternoon. You will find crowds at key points along the route, mainly day walkers walking to specific peaks and lakes but they fade away once you get to la rentrée (when French schools start up) about 2 September in 2019.
Mark F
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby scoha » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 8:19 pm

Thats good to know - thanks Mark. Thinking 3rd week August through to end of September - but still a bit of planning there. Appreciate your tips
scoha
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wobbly » Thu 17 Jan, 2019 8:34 am

Check out www.hrpguide.org
We purchased/donated to get the GPS waypoints (not a continuous track) but it also came with a very useful document covering all sorts of info re the track. But most useful of all was that whilst on the walk we'd get emails about current track conditions (snow/ice/closed huts etc) as other walkers posted/shared this info.
cheers Peter
wobbly
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scoha » Thu 17 Jan, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks Peter - yes good tip - Ive contacted to obtain file and notes
scoha
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to International