Hartz Track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hartz Track

Postby monte » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 9:23 am

I live in Geeveston and I had the idea a few weeks back I'd like to walk from town up to Hartz Peak if I could.

Anyway... first thing was to find out about the current state of the tracks. After reading this blog post I was worried about the regrowth in the mentioned logged area. I drove out to Bennetts Rd yesterday and walked down to it and sure enough there's no track to follow now at the point mentioned and I wasn't overly interested in bashing through the regrowth. With the exception of the first 100m or so off the road the track was really quite nice walking along an old tramway. Wide, mossy and crunchy. Anyway, I'm still interested to do the walk so I'm seeing if there are some locals interested to work with FT or whoever in order to fix the track.
monte
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mr
Region: Tasmania

Re: Hartz Track

Postby MrWalker » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 4:29 pm

Hatrz Track connects to Kermandie Falls track lower down. We walked up the falls track from Oigles Rd and found quite a lot of trees down, although it was passable.
We didn't actually get to the falls because we started late in the day and had to turn back when about 20min from the falls. It would be great if someone did some clearup work on it.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Hartz Track

Postby monte » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 4:47 pm

Yes this is the walk I'm interested to do. Obviously it will take significantly longer than the time Google estimates. With a bit of clearing and reconnecting the path over the regrowth I'm estimating around 10 hours.

I have had an experience a bit like that on Kermandie falls a few years ago too... I had young kids with me and they were over the scrambling so had to turn back. Anyway, I've made my interest public on my facebook feed and Geeveston being the place it is there's a mix of folks with FT links and parks links and a community spirit that is pretty good at getting stuff done so I think some work will come out of it. I'll probably do Bennetts Rd to Hartz Peak soonish to see if that part is relatively passable. I can't help wondering if the old hut site might be a decent spot to camp allowing for public transport for a hike up day, peaks and tarns day, hike down day.
monte
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mr

Return to Tasmania