UL Cold Soak Container

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

UL Cold Soak Container

Postby Kurisu » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi All,

Thanks to American nutcase thru hikers, I have become aware of cold soaking. I gave it a shot and actually like cold soaked couscous, and it got even better when I found Harry's ice cream. As shown, it comes in 500mL tubs, which are very light and more importantly, water tight (I did the fill-and-invert test - not a drop...).

46g, holds plenty for one, aluminium lid, easy to peel labels off...really good ice cream...

But for me the best thing is that it's like they're tailor-made to fit inside a Snow peak 700mL mug.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Cheers,

Chris
Attachments
image000003.jpg
Yum
image000003.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 579 times
image000001.jpg
clean
image000001.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 579 times
image000002.jpg
side-by-side
image000002.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 579 times
image000000.jpg
the perfect fit!
image000000.jpg (69.72 KiB) Viewed 579 times
Kurisu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: UL Cold Soak Container

Postby crollsurf » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 9:50 pm

I can see Lamont gagging at the mention of Cous Cous.

For an overnighter you don't even need that. A bread roll, some cheese and cured meat works a treat.

Cold soaking is a great option but a lot of the Yanks are walking into town every couple of days for Beer and Pizza. A luxury not many multiday hikes afford here.

Personally 300g for gas and a stove is good weight but presoaking before reaching camp definitely saves on fuel.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Kurisu » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks for the comments.
Wasn't intending to start any kind of debate about righteousness of cold soaking, through-hiking (whichever spelling one prefers) or beer & pizza, just to highlight an option for those who might be interested and like a convenient way to try it.
As you say, it's also a way to save on fuel - which seems to me to be a good thing. I will also still carry my stove, but use less gas and keep my mug clean for coffee, which is my priority. :-)
Kurisu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby crollsurf » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 10:12 pm

Sorry if I offended you. Walk your own walk.

crollsurf

Postby QueenLucyVanPelt » Thu 24 Oct, 2019 7:37 am

Thanks, Kurisu! I was looking into what Australians have been using here also. I use a Ziploc 475mL screw top, which I've only just realised I cannot buy in Australia (weighing in at 39g, but wouldn't sit in your snow peak). I've used it for numerous things on trail. Especially during 7-10 day food carries! Morning coffee (it holds heat well being microwave safe), freeze-dried smoothies, multi-v/hydration tablet drinks, carrying a few extra mils of water to a dry camp, and cold soaking in fire ban areas. Your suggestion weighs in lighter than the thru-hiking Talenti jars! I'm impressed! :) Thanks for the suggestion. When my Ziploc container dies, I know where to head next!
PCT SOBO '17, PCT SOBO Washington '19, Uinta Highline, GC R2R2R
QueenLucyVanPelt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lamont » Thu 24 Oct, 2019 3:27 pm

crollsurf wrote:I can see Lamont gagging at the mention of Cous Cous.

A bit yeah Crolly-your'e not wrong there. Haven't eaten it home or out for a long while :shock:
One day I will learn a bit more about the soaking- would like to do some pulses etc.
We have had some really stellar soaking trials on the gourmand thread which I followed with great interest.
Thanks for offering this up Kirisu.
Everybody have fun tonight Everybody Wang Chung tonight
Everybody have fun tonight Everybody Wang Chung tonight
Lamont

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Societe' de Lamont Cranston
Region: Victoria

Postby Kickinghorse » Sun 03 Nov, 2019 10:11 pm

An good idea re ex Harry’s containers. Me also not so fond of pulses etc but have found that McVities Hobnobs/ Digestive buscuits fit well and provide room for about 12.
Am partial to these with a bit of marg around morning tea time, the bonus being they tend not to get crushed in my pack as with a food bag etc.
Phil
Kickinghorse
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking