Overland in October

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Overland in October

Postby Gymnoschoenus » Sun 01 Jun, 2008 9:51 am

HI walkers,
I just joined your site as am planning my first walk in Tassie. Have done plenty of overnight walking on the mainland-but am not really familiar with your weather conditions.

I am bringing some friends for the overland in the first week of October. Climate averages on Bureau of Met. for October are min 6.4° and max 16.4° which doesn't look to bad - but someone on this forum noted that Sept. is when you get your heaviest snow falls. Obviously we'll be prepared for any weather.

What are your observations as to snow in early October??? Can we get away with out snow shoes ?

I was also hoping that there would be less people at this time of year.

Cheers :roll:

Jed
Gymnoschoenus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Overland in October

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 01 Jun, 2008 9:58 am

G'day Jed,

The weather in Tasmania is highly variable at all times of year, but October in particular is quite varied. I would expect that you'd be likely to see a couple of sub-zero nights, and there is reasonable possibility of snow (which can fall in the middle of summer in those parts!).

However, I wouldn't bother bringing snow shoes at that time of year, as the chances of seeing enough snow for them to be worthwhile are extremely slim.

You'll still see plenty of people on the track, but perhaps a few less than in summer.

Have a great walk!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby scrub boy » Mon 02 Jun, 2008 8:37 am

Yep, that's about it, a bit of everything as October is the usually windiest month but the good thing about that is whatever is happening is likely to be blown away to be replaced by something else! Those met figures sound slightly generous for the overland track in October but I could be wrong. Anyway good for you, I am envious, so very envious.......have a good one.
scrub boy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kanangra » Mon 02 Jun, 2008 9:51 am

I am also thinking about coming over the LWE in October to the Reserve. Just investigating connections now from Launceston to Cradle Mt and then from Lake St Clair to Hobart. Who do people recommend?
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby PeterJ » Mon 02 Jun, 2008 5:10 pm

Gymnoschoenus wrote: ................What are your observations as to snow in early October??? Can we get away with out snow shoes ? ......

I have heard of people bring snow shoes and not using them. Mostly it is reasonable going on the Overland Track itself, but I have been stopped by snow from crossing Du Cane gap when coming from Windy Ridge in mid October. We had hoped to go to the Traveller Range but it was far too difficult. Snow shoes would have been helpful i suppose but the biggest impediment was the bushes all laden down with snow making it very slow and wet pushing a way through. However on other occasions we have been on the peaks in October with just patches of snow about and no trouble at all.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gymnoschoenus » Mon 02 Jun, 2008 6:24 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for the quick reply. This is a great site.

Kanangra - re connections - I rang around and got the best deal from 'Tasmanian tour company', they were the cheapest - but the buses are cheaper if you can wait for the connections.

Jed
Gymnoschoenus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kanangra » Tue 03 Jun, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks Jed I'll give them a call.

How long should I allow for the trip from Launceston to Cradle? And how long from Lake st Clair back to Launceston?
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby scrub boy » Tue 03 Jun, 2008 1:28 pm

I thought those temp stats looked funny.......Check out the monthly averages for Cradle Valley (temp data 1926-1977): min 1.5/max 10.5, mean 9am temp: 6.6. (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/ ... 6005.shtml). take a warm hat........
scrub boy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby sarge » Tue 03 Jun, 2008 4:09 pm

I got this information from Tigerline as we are heading up in September - they run a winter bus service for walkers. Should give you an indication of travel times:

our winter timetable is as follows:

Launceston - Cradle Mt = Monday and Wednesday departing Launceston 8.00 am arriving Cradle Mt 11.15 am

Lake St Clair - Hobart = Tuesday and Thursday departing Lake St Clair 12.00 pm arriving Hobart 14.50 pm

Friday departing Lake St Clair 18.25 pm arriving Hobart 21.10 pm

Sunday departing Lake St Clair 16.25 pm arriving Hobart 19.40 pm
sarge
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tasadam » Tue 03 Jun, 2008 4:24 pm

Interesting, that historical weather data.
Another statistic worthy of mention -
Mean number of days of rain equal or greater than 1 mm for years 1971 to 2000
October = 17.7

Here's a Lake St Clair link.

Of note, number of days of rain equal or greater than 1 mm
Mean (1989 to current) October = 17.9
Oct 2007 = 21
Oct 2006 = 20
Oct 2005 = 21
Oct 2001 = 20
Oct 2000 = 22 and September was 26 - only 5 days of less than 1mm rain for the whole month - Yuk!
Oct 1998 = 25
Oct 1996 = 24

Sorry to put a dampener on things (pun alert!!)
Interesting data though.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Gymnoschoenus » Tue 03 Jun, 2008 7:06 pm

ohh bummer! I was looking at Roseberry Substation for some reason - to the west.
Yeah I did note the number of rainy days - oh well I am still keen!

I think it takes about 2-3 hours to get to Lake st clair - Launceston, and 2 for Cradle mtn - Launceston (driving).

Jed
Gymnoschoenus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kanangra » Wed 04 Jun, 2008 9:06 am

Thanks. And one other thing do they have mattresses on the bunks in the huts over there? Or are they just sleeping platforms so I need to bring my mat?
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Wed 04 Jun, 2008 10:04 am

kanangra wrote:Thanks. And one other thing do they have mattresses on the bunks in the huts over there? Or are they just sleeping platforms so I need to bring my mat?

They're just wooden platforms, you'll need your mat.

Kind regards,
John W
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Wed 04 Jun, 2008 12:33 pm

Noted and thank you. All is starting to come together nicely. It looks like the LWE in Oct. Arriving Launceston Friday morning and out Monday afternoon. Can't wait.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 04 Jun, 2008 12:37 pm

kanangra wrote:Thanks. And one other thing do they have mattresses on the bunks in the huts over there? Or are they just sleeping platforms so I need to bring my mat?

You'll also need to bring your mat in case you need to sleep in your tent. You are bringing a tent, aren't you? :)

I would always recommend bringing a tent, whether you're planning to use the huts or not. In Summer, because the huts are crowded, and in Winter, because if you break your leg between huts, you probably won't survive without a tent (and a mat and a sleeping bag). You're very unlikely to use the tent if you're planning to seep in huts on the Overland Track in Winter, but it's one of those items that I still consider to be essential to cater for potential emergencies.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Wed 04 Jun, 2008 2:16 pm

Good advice. I'll throw it in just in case.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Grapet » Thu 05 Jun, 2008 11:02 pm

I plan to walk in early November. Will things change much from October. I figured it would be a pretty wet month rather than particularly cold.
Off track but: are there many creek crossings?
Grapet
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 06 Jun, 2008 6:29 am

Grapet wrote:I plan to walk in early November. Will things change much from October. I figured it would be a pretty wet month rather than particularly cold.
Off track but: are there many creek crossings?

November is usually a little warmer, with some hot days, but still some rather cold days too. I walked part of the Overland Track in deep snow one November (which was very frustrating, because I'd walked the whole Overland Track in August the same year with cross-country skis, and there was less snow in August than there was in November! grrrr).

There are a lot of creek crossings, but none that you have to wade through, unless there's been heavy rain (the ones that are more than ankle deep have bridges now).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 06 Jun, 2008 6:35 am

Son of a Beach wrote:

You'll also need to bring your mat in case you need to sleep in your tent. You are bringing a tent, aren't you? :)

I would always recommend bringing a tent, whether you're planning to use the huts or not. In Summer, because the huts are crowded, and in Winter, because if you break your leg between huts, you probably won't survive without a tent (and a mat and a sleeping bag). You're very unlikely to use the tent if you're planning to seep in huts on the Overland Track in Winter, but it's one of those items that I still consider to be essential to cater for potential emergencies.

Just to follow up, one of our forum members did the Overland Track in May this year (colder and wetter than October), and found that some huts had more people than beds on some nights. So a tent and mat really are essential. :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby frank_in_oz » Fri 06 Jun, 2008 8:07 am

Son of a Beach wrote:Just to follow up, one of our forum members did the Overland Track in May this year (colder and wetter than October), and found that some huts had more people than beds on some nights. So a tent and mat really are essential. :)

Thanks Nik, THAT was quick off the mark. Decided carrying a wet tent was far better than putting up with the snoring, snoring and snoring AND early starters etc. Even in July last year it was very busy in a couple of huts and we (wifey and I) slept in a tent one night. (Even though there was no skin to skin "communion", it was still great to have some space away from the crowds and cuddle up in the morning knowing you had not mistaken the person next to you and it was actually Sven from Sweden!)
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bigsteps » Fri 06 Jun, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi,
I've taken snowshoes twice - never used them. I know of people who walk the track twice yearly (for last 6 years) in winter & they say just wait a day or so & the snow melts!

I found the shoes difficult to manage on my pack & unless you have at least a metre of snow climbing up/over & around rocks is demanding.

summary - not enough snow to make walking through enjoyable. Leave the shoes behind, take plenty of snoseal!
Bigsteps
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kanangra » Thu 03 Jul, 2008 9:45 am

All confirmed. Will be heading over Friday 3rd October. Can't wait.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 2:23 pm

Now coming over a week later on 10th October.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Wed 15 Oct, 2008 1:49 pm

Well I'm back after a fantastic weekend on the Overland Track. The weather was excellent and there weren't that many people around. We arrived at Waldheim at 5:00PM on Friday night courtesy of Lee from Tiger wilderness Tours. ( He was excellent and I would recommend his services to anyone.) As it was late we went via the direct route up to Marions Lkt. Still quite a bit of snow around on the Plateau. Saw a wombat just before the descent to Waterfall. Arrived just on dark. The few others in occupation were just preparing for bed.

Saturday was brilliant. Beautiful sunny day. Barn Bluff looked spectacular in the early morning light. Took the side trip to Lake Will. Quite a good track out there now. But the section around the lake to Innes Falls is still quite rough. Took an early lunch at Windermere Hut and then to New Pelion by mid afternoon. Not as crowded as I thought it might be. Marvelous hut. I just love the views from the verandah. Took advantage of the beautiful evening light to walk out along the Arm River Track to Lake Ayr. A lot of work been done here too.

A cold night out on the verandah so away early. Magnificant views from the Gap. A lot of snow on Ossa. Very little on Pelion East. Down to Ki Ora where a family is readying to leave. I was impressed to learn that Dad had taken his three boys up Ossa the day before. The youngest was only 11. No mean feat with that snow. All the falls on the Mersey River were really working well. Climbed down and across the slab below Fergusson Falls to get a better shot. Also waded out into the river to get a view down the gorge below Hartnett Falls. Arrived at the new Windy ridge Hut mid afternoon and I have to say I was not impressed by it. Too large, no character, no verandah, difficult access to the tanks ( via front door up stairs? ) Decided to move onto Narcissus which was empty.

Strong winds and light rain overnight. Took the track around the lake rather than the Cuvier Valley route. Track quite muddy to Echo Pt. but better after that. Arrived at Lake St Clair about 11:30 where Lee arrived shortly after to take us back to the airport.

A great trip in beautiful weather. I noticed a very low saddle to the west of Ki Ora Hut. It would lead down into the Murchison eventually? Anyone been that way? I rather gather it would be very difficult?

Steve.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby freshairfreak » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:24 pm

Wow, my friends and I ared doing the track 1st week in December, after reading last post, i am even more exited about doing it, can't wait. If anyone has any other tips for a first timer i would really appreciated it.
freshairfreak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Natt » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 2:34 pm

Sounds like Steve is a quick walker if he managed Waterfall Valley to New Pelion with a sidetrip Actually he must have rocket boots- as that would kill me. :lol:

You may want to bear that in mind as you plan your schedule - I posted elsewhere I tried the same thing and ended up in a tent at frog flats in rather a lot of pain.

I do walk slow though :D
Natt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 4:27 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Tue 02 Nov, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 7:18 pm

I agree Nuts, Flower sniffin' is underated - its what its all about is'nt it. If you get back early it just means work or the jobs around the house will be callin', and thats what we are escaping in the first place. Isnt'it? I havnt done the OT yet, but I would like to take 3 months and really explore the boundaries! Just take a Sat phone and ring in occasionally so no-one thinks you are M.I.A. Bliss.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Nuts » Sat 18 Oct, 2008 8:30 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Tue 02 Nov, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Sun 19 Oct, 2008 7:04 am

G'day Nuts, I'd love to go flower sniffin' deeper into the wilds with you. :D I'll PM you.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Next

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain