From Bushwalk Australia
25000:1 MAP: Ulverstone 4244
Start (Lat/Long): -41.138411, 146.062396
Time required: 2 hrs return
Degree of difficulty: moderate
Elevation Gained: 320m
Track Type: maintained
Vehicle Required: 2WD
A side trip near the start of the Penguin-Cradle Trail (PCT) to trig point and historic cairn, with spectacular views of the coastline and surrounding countryside. Wedgetail eagles have been spotted flying above.
- Access: 4 km south of Penguin. Take Ironcliffe Rd from Penguin, left turn at Montgomery Rd ( Signposted ) Sealed road.
- The reccomended walking route is a 2 hr return walk. Generally good path- sign posted, tape and paint markers. Trail begins opposite the old refuse site. First 15 mins is easy gradient through shady myrtle forest beside Myrtle Creek. Signed left turn 10m after Myrtle creek. It is easy to miss the next right turn if you are not paying attention. As there is an old route to the summit which you may start following at a burnt out sign post further along. This track will peter out but a direct ascent through the scrub will cross the new trail again. There are pleasant views along the upper trail as the Eucalypt forest opens up with rocky outcrops providing opportunities for rest stops or a shady lunch break (there is no convenient shade on the summit). Very steep final 300 metres on sandy vehicle trail - walking stick or two is very useful here. NOTE: stick to the right if trail junctions are not marked after the leaving PCT.
- alt route: After the summit follow the vehicle trail south and west keeping to the left at junctions until you meet the PCT to Keddies Creek carpark.
- Possible to continue all the way to the Mount Duncan carpark visiting all the peaks in the Dial Range in a day with a car shuttle. Mount Gnomon return approx 6 hours.
- reccomended publications from Penguin visitors information centre
- Dial Range Recreation and Management map ($4)
- Dial Range Walks - Northwest Walking Club (free)