Australian Alone

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Australian Alone

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 21 Feb, 2022 9:28 am

"Australian campers, survivalists and reality TV fans are all in for a treat, with SBS announcing the launch of an Australian version of Alone, the international hit that sees contestants compete to survive the longest in remote locations"

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ng-in-2023
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Australian Alone

Postby GregG » Mon 21 Feb, 2022 2:34 pm

That is good news, I have to admit that I am addicted to this show, although the earlier series were a lot better than what followed. While I hope they don't go down the Australian cliches/celebrities road, Just wondering if others have any nominations for participation - Paul Fenech, Nikki Webster, Scomo?
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie
Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 21 Feb, 2022 3:30 pm

I'm having fun filling out the application. I don't expect to get a reply tho. I'm not good looking enough for television.
Also I'm old and decrepit
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 5:29 am

Moondog55 wrote:I'm not good looking enough for television. Also I'm old and decrepit

I can see it now ... Enthusiastic youngsters terrified by leeches while an "old and decrepit" bushwalker makes and repairs his own gear and gadgets and outlasts them all.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CBee » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 7:14 am

I think, if I recall by watching a couple of episodes, the show is about people being dropped in one spot and be able to survive with just a bunch of tools and local food+water resources, for as long it takes to be the last. So definitely not bushwalking, a total different ball game. Be able to travel in harsh terrain and cover km with the luxury of lightweight gear and dehydrated food is substantially different to hunting and gathering for survival. Especially in Australia.
CBee

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 8:10 am

Selection blurb says they are looking for a cold location in SE Australia, and they want to start filming in June this year
I can see some big problems coming up as the most common food animals in this corner of Oz at this time of year are protected species like brushtail possum.
In some episodes contestants have been allowed an food ration, what would you take if the choice was between staples like a grain or something prepared? I'd choose a kilo of barley over a kilo of hard tack or army biscuits?
Unlike the USA snaring is illegal here in Oz so I wonder how I'd hunt without my rifles?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 8:52 am

Moondog55 wrote:Also I'm old and decrepit

Should not be an issue based on some of the earlier series I have seen.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 9:03 am

Moondog55 wrote:I can see some big problems coming up as the most common food animals in this corner of Oz at this time of year are protected species like brushtail possum.

The guy killing a pig on the first Australian Survivor was very controversial and the times then were probably more tolerant of such things. Fish for sure, rabbits maybe, but I can't see killing deer or any native animal whatsoever getting up on Aussie TV.
CraigVIC

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 9:04 am

wander wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:Also I'm old and decrepit

Should not be an issue based on some of the earlier series I have seen.

Wonder if Les Hiddins is getting fired up?
CraigVIC

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 9:13 am

CraigVIC wrote:The guy killing a pig on the first Australian Survivor was very controversial and the times then were probably more tolerant of such things. Fish for sure, rabbits maybe, but I can't see killing deer or any native animal whatsoever getting up on Aussie TV.

I wonder how the numpties would react to the killing and eating of a feral horse?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joynz » Tue 22 Feb, 2022 12:26 pm

I’ve watched one of the US versions (season 5, I think) and some of the Norway and Sweden ones.

In each case I think they can choose two food items and leave something else out. I’d go for pemmican because of the high energy value.

Most of the the food they catch (or don’t catch) seems to be fish.
Last edited by Joynz on Thu 24 Feb, 2022 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby FLICKIT » Wed 23 Feb, 2022 7:11 pm

Moondog55 wrote:
CraigVIC wrote:The guy killing a pig on the first Australian Survivor was very controversial and the times then were probably more tolerant of such things. Fish for sure, rabbits maybe, but I can't see killing deer or any native animal whatsoever getting up on Aussie TV.

I wonder how the numpties would react to the killing and eating of a feral horse?

20 years ago when the wild pig was killed on Survivor in Qld there was a lot of outrage so it's unlikely any land based animals will be killed IMO, people are even more sensitive now:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1447197.stm

There was also issues after a rat was killed on I'm a celebrity get me out of here:
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/rea ... /tth0tvb8a
A British TV company has been convicted of animal cruelty, after a rat was killed and eaten by contestants on its Australian-set reality show I'm a Celebrity... Get me out of here.
FLICKIT
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby CBee » Thu 24 Feb, 2022 7:48 am

Source of food from ocean/river/lake become essential then. Hence a crucial location also for permanent drinking water. Weather would not be a problem in coastal or lower altitude so snow to tackle. Threat from wildlife very minimal. Ok this is just a TV show, but if you take hunting animals out of the equation, I don't see the purpose of a survival serie, just live in a tent on the banks of river and concentrate on catching fish and learn what plants you can gather to eat.
CBee

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 24 Feb, 2022 8:27 am

I'm doing an application now; even tho I know it is pointless as they won't take contestants who need constant medications; but a lot of the questions are about you ability to trap/kill/hunt/butcher large warm blooded animals.
They are looking for somewhere at higher altitude in the SE corner of the mainland where snow and wet cold conditions will be a large factor but I suspect that the actual location will be Tasmania.
Can't be Victoria as all the game animals that are easy enough to catch are totally protected from hunting and in this situation I'd want at least one possum every second day or a kangaroo/wombat a week
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Thu 24 Feb, 2022 12:32 pm

Moondog55 wrote: be Victoria as all the game animals that are easy enough to catch are totally protected from hunting and in this situation I'd want at least one possum every second day or a kangaroo/wombat a week

deer
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 24 Feb, 2022 1:40 pm

Hunting Sambar with a sharpened stick wouldn't be easy tho and probably not legal, not would digging pit traps [ which are also probably not legal] any sort of traditional snare or trap is probably illegal in Victoria.
If you found a rabbit warren you could weave basket cone traps and smoke out the conies tho.
Eel traps would maybe work and be the best bet,
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 12 Mar, 2022 8:52 pm

I've not watched all of the show past the first few seasons, but I have followed the process as I was passingly familiar with some of the climates.
All the hunting has to be legal and within the permitting of the area, so I'm guessing that they will be trying to find an area with a fishable river or coast and other foragables. There is the chance that they have secured the use of private land as I know that in much of Australia that does change some of the hunting/trapping laws. I know that one of the seasons the location was selected based on privately assignable hunting permits, though I don't think those possibilities actually were used. The difference between Alone and the other shows is that it's expected that there will be scenes of butchering and hunting, and the editors have a better idea of how to present that, whereas the more "wider public" shows do not typically. At the end of the day, there is little difference between watching Alone and a cooking show (well, unless there is no food to be found) But it's how it gets presented, and sometimes the shows that intentionally go for shock factor have an additional price to pay for it, though sometimes that is not exactly by accident.

As a concept, I think it's a cool idea, but also it does end up being a bit of a starvation contest near the end, and to a degree that comes down to luck. I have learned a few things from watching the show though. To me it got very same-same but I don't watch TV for drama, and that puts me in the minority of humans I guess.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 23 Mar, 2022 7:15 am

I got an email last nite; it reminded me that I still have to submit the 3 minute phone video telling them why I want to enter and why I think I could win.
I'm actually undecided as entering would mean missing this ski season and I already have a seasons lift ticket.
This is separate from the fact that I get tongue tied and self conscious in front of a camera
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CBee » Wed 23 Mar, 2022 7:24 am

"This is separate from the fact that I get tongue tied and self conscious in front of a camera". So, you applied to be part of a reality TV show :-)
CBee

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 23 Mar, 2022 8:40 am

Well I've not yet applied, well because of ************************************************
I've just filled in all the required paperwork except for those last three requirements.
I have a couple of days to make up my mind, SWMBO says it's OK with her and she did point out that I have acquired enough Covid kilos to last me a month or two without eating.
I seem to have lost all of my bushwalking and ski touring photographs tho, and currently looking through all the small flashdrives for anything even semi related to my bush and snow walks
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 23 Mar, 2022 12:37 pm

In it to win it MD. Don't waste time trying to second guess who they'll pick and have a crack I say.
CraigVIC

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 27 Mar, 2022 9:53 am

I didn't go though with the application; mainly for health// medication reasons, but also not wishing to miss out on what will probably be my last ski season.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby headwerkn » Mon 21 Nov, 2022 12:08 pm

The trailer for Alone: Australia is out - https://youtu.be/cvUB7rKJtvo

Anyone wanna play "guess where"? ;-)

Assuming the show's bushcraft/hunting angle would preclude it from any PWS-managed areas, my initial thought from all the submerged timber was Lake Echo... but a mate suggested Lake Pieman and on closer inspection of some of the aerial/drone shots with Listmap and PeakFinder, I reckon he's right. While the northern shores are takayna/Meridith Range Reserve eg. off limits, the southern shores are a mix of SST, NRE Crown Land and Hydro.

Not really what springs to mind with the term "remote Tasmanian wilderness" though it'd probably be a very short series if they couldn't cut down anything, light a fire or hunt land animals(*), heheh.

(* - how that's gonna work regardless will be interesting. Only a few feral species (not deer) can be legally taken with a bow. Technically you're not allowed to net/trap in Inland Waters either.)
headwerkn

Postby GregR » Tue 22 Nov, 2022 3:47 pm

Thanks for the link. Can't wait to see our homegrown version.

Recognised one contestant in the clip from their Youtube channel.

You'll never see me on Alone as one of my many nicknames is WASP.*

Cheers

Greg

* WASP Weak AS P.....
GregR

Postby tastrax » Tue 22 Nov, 2022 5:31 pm

headwerkn wrote:Anyone wanna play "guess where"? ;-)

Mmmm, looks like a man made flooded lake - plenty of those in Tasmanian highlands and many of the lakes have somewhat decent fishing.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 7:59 am

I'll watch but maybe not all the episodes.
I'll keep my eyes open for the dropbear shots tho.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stamina » Sun 25 Dec, 2022 4:21 pm

I watched all the shows and I would have to say that Roland, the guy from Alaska, and I forget what series that was, who survived 100 days in the arctic on the shores of Great Slave Lake, deserved everything he got! 1 million I think? Killed a wounded musk ox with his knife!
Later on I watched the Norway and Sweden versions which were pretty lame really. Ultimately just a starve off really IMO.
Stamina
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Shawn

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 16 Feb, 2023 9:27 am

CraigVIC

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 16 Feb, 2023 4:09 pm

While on holiday I met and attended a couple of short lectures by the feller who gave some initial bushcraft training to these selectees. Owns and runs a Survival school based in Oz. He seemed to know what he was talking about but I have my doubts about the local program if the only available protein is fish.
Personally I think you need red meat as part of the diet but I was told that there is plenty of edible plant matter in the area chosen.
Possum tastes good and has very warm pelts.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby duncanm » Mon 20 Feb, 2023 3:40 pm

Stamina wrote:I watched all the shows and I would have to say that Roland, the guy from Alaska, and I forget what series that was, who survived 100 days in the arctic on the shores of Great Slave Lake, deserved everything he got! 1 million I think? Killed a wounded musk ox with his knife!

I don't think the musk ox was wounded until he'd shot a couple of arrows into it?

The other impressive contestant in that series was Callie Russell. She was cruising a week or so out from the 100 day finish line, but got frostbite in a toe and was pulled.

I stopped watching it after that series - none of the others came close - being dropped close to the arctic circle a few weeks before winter? Sheesh.
duncanm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Next

Return to Between Bushwalks