Tassie ferry and overnite accomodation close by

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Tassie ferry and overnite accomodation close by

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 04 Jul, 2020 9:39 pm

Cecile and I are wondering if it's worthwhile doing a business plan and approaching the bank for an extension on the mortgage to put a small 2BR unit with facilities in the back yard and run a small business catering to the bushwalking community.
Before we get to excited and spend too much time working on it and because another $250k- is a hell of a lot of money at our age, how many of you would be willing to spend $120- a nite PP for accommodation and a ride to the terminal / pick up from same?
The bed might include a feed of my fabulous cooking but as our kitchen wouldn't meet the needed standards to charge for meals such would be a "gift" but it would include an non-cooked continental breakfast with coffee; real coffee or teabags and a pot of hot water etc.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Tassie ferry and overnite accomodation close by

Postby matagi » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 7:59 am

I'm guessing this would mainly appeal to people catching the daytime ferry, because you can catch a train that takes you close to the proposed ferry terminal, so there would be ample time to get there for an evening sailing - assuming there are no train timetable/other transport changes to cater for the new ferry terminal.

You need to look at the estimated number of potential guests and balance that against cost of compliance (I'm sure there are a raft of government regulations covering such an enterprise) as well as cost of building, loans, etc. My gut instinct says probably not financially viable, but you need to assess the market and run the numbers to be sure.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 9:25 am

There is a need for some accommodation nearby but we don't want to cater for the truck drivers etc. This is why I asked about a specific dollar value for a bed and drop-off. While it's a short taxi ride to the terminal there simply aren't enough taxis in Geelong to cater for this sort of demand. Remember that this will be a new ferry, although I don't know what ships they will be I do know that they will be much larger and with greater passenger capacity as well as room for more big semi trailers/ perhaps even B-Doubles.
The Gateway hotel has rooms from $90- but it's a dive and very very tired and dirty. We did some number crunching and $120- PP per nite would be needed to justify the outlay.
Building a 1BR granny flat and subletting we would be able to ask about $250- power included. Compliance isn't an issue as we won't be running as a B&B if we do anything.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 10:54 am

Speaking for myself only.

When using the ferry, I have always taken a vehicle, gone directly to the ferry and away. I have always used the overnight ferry. The terminal being in Geelong will not change that, and I would have no interest in unnecessarily spending a night in Geelong prior to departure.

As I wouldn't do it, cost would be irrelevant to me.

If for some reason I was to use the daylight service, I would simply get up early and still go directly to the ferry.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby taswegian » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 1:10 pm

Does your planning regs, guru allow such? Not sure what you meant by "compliance isn't an issue..."
It's a change of use, multiple dwellings etc
I'd check what all that means before considering the next item on the agenda. Maybe you have from your comment.
Dealing with these things on a daily basis highlights the myriad of issues, nonsense, etc etc one faces every time we want to "hinge the door the other way", thinking differently, highlight the complexities of life in 2020!

Can't answer your question, but as a Tasmanian not a bit interested in Melbourne other than how quickly can I pass out into the country I rather welcome the Geelong move.
But my thoughts maybe right off reality as I'm not sure where all this fits in to your ideas. Location wise ie.
taswegian

Postby Joynz » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 1:50 pm

I’m surprised that compliance wouldn’t be an issue. Much harder to add a granny flat in Vic than in NSW. Also, an extra unit would normally require extra car parking on site. Or a dispensation. I would have a chat to Council if you haven’t already.

In answer to the question, I would drive straight to the ferry from Melbourne if taking the overnight ferry. If not wanting to drive, I would fly to Tassie.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 2:17 pm

Compliance was regarding the service of cooked food. Nothing to do with building regulations but the health act
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 3:00 pm

There will be regulations governing the a paid accommodation part of your enterprise. Nothing to do with cooked food. You need to check these out - cost of compliance may be a deal breaker.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 3:32 pm

The Air B&B *&^%$#!, yeah far too many rules and regulations around part time accommodation but I found nothing when searching the GCC website because the rules regarding boarding houses / rooming houses and B&Bs aren't applicable to this idea. Still it was a thought that needed looking at.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 4:06 pm

Moondog55 wrote:The Air B&B *&^%$#!, yeah far too many rules and regulations around part time accommodation but I found nothing when searching the GCC website because the rules regarding boarding houses / rooming houses and B&Bs aren't applicable to this idea. Still it was a thought that needed looking at.

Might be worth talking to council and seeing which category they think your idea fits?
matagi

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 4:53 pm

TBH If there is too much BS attached to something like this it isn't worth thinking about as a business proposition, cheaper and easier [ given the current conditions and situation] to think about buying a motel because it's something well outside the current rules.
Having worked most of my life in small hospitality I really don't want to own a small motel either being more interested in the food side of things and far better at that
Still I'll give GCC a call on Monday and see what they say. Overnite parking for the big rigs still hasn't been shown on the development plan as far as I can see but there is a huge plot close by that could be used and nothing so far about widening the road either to provide easy access
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taswegian » Sun 05 Jul, 2020 10:19 pm

Moondog55 I wouldn't be put off by the BS as you mentioned, just see what progresses.
I have no idea of Vic planning but expect similar to here.
If you talk to council then go with some positive ideas for them to grasp and demonstrate (to them) you have given it some thought.
Stress the social benefits and the needs for such and not your personal gain.
Latter is important obviously but don't flog that aspect to them.

Also, importantly, don't give them too much at once. Don't put questioning suggestions to them and find you can't then back out of when they get a brainwave and see your suggestion which was really a question, as a 'yes that's a brilliant idea and we'll certainly run with that' scenario.
Too much information to them can be dangerous, but a well thought through proposal with merit and fitting guidelines can't be denied.

Remember what is okay now maynot be okay once you start asking about change. Any change can invoke a clean slate and whilst your current something is all okay, because this is a new development they can throw their eyes over your whole property and condition the development according to improvements they deem fit. Well, within the scope of what they can.
One example here is your drive (access) maybe well within guidelines now, and in reality for low volume access still okay, but they may think otherwise and force upgrades to that.
I've found its best to let them think they have the upper hand as opposed to you. It's no disadvantage to you and if it gives them a sense of power (which they love to wield) then that's okay and they aren't fooling you and probably others around them.

Ask then 'how this or that can work' and if met with a blanket NO then ask them what part of legislation, planning scheme etc is preventing such?
Often if they don't like something for whatever reason then NO is their repsonse.
Asking for where and why makes them think.

Finally get an email address from them and after you get some agreements or consideration put it straight back to them as a
Thanks for the conversation today and discussing my potential development
This is what I understand we can do, or
From that discussion I understand you mentioned such and such was okay, this or that wasn't .....
And according to Clause 29:4 it is possible to ....

AND. Keep good records of any conversations and emails with dates and times.
I've been met with 'I didn't say that.....' but when confronted with a 'we discussed this last Wednesday, about 2 pm, you'd mentioned you'd just got stuck in traffic...'
An email in response makes them consider what they say and I find that is one of the best ways to elicit things from them that otherwise can't be easily had. If they refuse to answer emails I think of Plan B and approach it through another part of the structure of the organisation/ shire etc.

I've been there done that, got the many Guernseys and learnt much on the way.
All the best with it.
taswegian

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 06 Jul, 2020 6:52 pm

My work depot is in North Shore and I wish yourself Moondog and this whole ferry terminal the best. I wonder how you see this as a niche bushwalking service?

This weekend I used a Great Ocean Walk shuttle. Walkers, and no one else, need these shuttle services so there is a strong relationship. Walkers need the shuttle and the shuttles need walkers.

But when I stay somewhere because a walk is too far away to drive and start in the same day I book accommodation just on my personal ideas about what is a good value place to stay, nothing to do with bushwalking as such.
CraigVIC

Return to Between Bushwalks