alone tv series now on SBS

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

alone tv series now on SBS

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 02 Nov, 2020 6:18 am

For those interested the survival tv series alone is now available for free on SBS. Using the SBS on demand app for smart tv and computer/phone.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/alone

It's a reasonably realistic survival show where 10 individuals are dropped into separate locations in a wilderness setting with some survival gear. In the first season, they're given tarps, ropes, axes, saws, cooking gear as well as other equipment but no food or water. They are competing to see who survives the longest.

The contestants do all their own camera work so there is no one with them which makes it quite an unusual compared to other survival TV shows.

I've only watched part of the first series so far but I feel that the shows producers really drop these guys in the deep end with virtually no viable escape if the s*** hit the fan quickly. As the rescue team can take several hours to reach them if they call for evac. (Similar timeframe to a real life rescue situation it could be argued)

In the first series there are bears, cougars and wolves in close proximity to the contestants.

It's quite interesting to see how they adapt and attempt to survive. Some do well others only last a day or two before calling for rescue.. depending on their skill and luck of initial drop zone.

PS. No spoilers on who wins please.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: alone tv series now on SBS

Postby commando » Mon 02 Nov, 2020 12:27 pm

I watched the first couple of seasons, and found that as there sanity declined so did the quality of the recordings
as they become delusional and on the verge of mental breakdowns whilst starving slowly to death. Like the guy who
was eating squashed mice caught with a flat rock trap he was in noddy land.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby CraigVIC » Mon 02 Nov, 2020 12:33 pm

One of the contestants who has a popular youtube channel is still very humorless about their exit from the show.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Joynz » Mon 02 Nov, 2020 1:47 pm

I watched most of season 4, which was in the wilds of Patagonia.

I think it’s very realistic.

Worth looking at the website to see what the contestants choose from in terms of the equipment or food they can take.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 03 Nov, 2020 2:02 pm

Looking forward to getting to the season filmed in Oz.

We don't have much of a hunting/survivalist culture here in NSW. (Compared to the US/Canada or NZ)

Half of me would to like to learn and practice some of the techniques but the other half realises that a lot of shelter building etc is very destructive to the environment. And trapping etc is mostly very cruel, not to mention illegal.

I've been reading a book on bush food's and learning it's incredibly difficult to get enough calories by only eating plants. And eatable plants are quite difficult to identify here.. being multitudes of similar looking ones that are highly toxic. So survival mostly depends on trapping animals for meat or if your lucky to be close to a well stocked estuary.. catching fish.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby commando » Tue 03 Nov, 2020 2:25 pm

wildwanderer wrote:I've been reading a book on bush food's and learning it's incredibly difficult to get enough calories by only eating plants. And eatable plants are quite difficult to identify here.. being multitudes of similar looking ones that are highly toxic. So survival mostly depends on trapping animals for meat or if your lucky to be close to a well stocked estuary.. catching fish.

Spot on...
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Wed 04 Nov, 2020 3:44 pm

commando wrote:I watched the first couple of seasons, and found that as there sanity declined so did the quality of the recordings
as they become delusional and on the verge of mental breakdowns whilst starving slowly to death. Like the guy who
was eating squashed mice caught with a flat rock trap he was in noddy land.

it gets more inhumane as the series progresses. they tend to put them where the climate heads towards a very cold winter. and food is hard to come by in adequate amounts and they arent allowed to move camp to try and find more food... starvation ensues.. with so much prize money at stake, people are going to tell themselves they can do it ad queue up to put themselves through great hardship so that people can watch from the comfort of their own home...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 06 Nov, 2020 7:38 am

wayno wrote:it gets more inhumane as the series progresses. they tend to put them where the climate heads towards a very cold winter. and food is hard to come by in adequate amounts and they arent allowed to move camp to try and find more food... starvation ensues.. with so much prize money at stake, people are going to tell themselves they can do it ad queue up to put themselves through great hardship so that people can watch from the comfort of their own home...

Yeah agree it's quite brutal. But in all fairness to the producers they have to get an outcome.

If they pick a temperate location and allow nomadic hunter gathering the contestants with high level skills will just live out there for years.

If it was me I would be getting as fat as possible before going in. :lol:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Sun 08 Nov, 2020 2:10 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
wayno wrote:it gets more inhumane as the series progresses. they tend to put them where the climate heads towards a very cold winter. and food is hard to come by in adequate amounts and they arent allowed to move camp to try and find more food... starvation ensues.. with so much prize money at stake, people are going to tell themselves they can do it ad queue up to put themselves through great hardship so that people can watch from the comfort of their own home...

Yeah agree it's quite brutal. But in all fairness to the producers they have to get an outcome.

If they pick a temperate location and allow nomadic hunter gathering the contestants with high level skills will just live out there for years.

they could get a much faster outcome in the arctic...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby commando » Sat 14 Nov, 2020 3:19 pm

wayno wrote:they could get a much faster outcome in the arctic...

Or the middle of the Pacific on a bamboo raft
The sponsors would be happy with 28 minutes of ads and 2 minutes of Survivor series.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Thu 19 Nov, 2020 3:31 pm

I had a look. Interesting. (SPOILER) There was a guy who was very unhappy about birds making too much noise early in the morning and too many roots making terrain uneven and difficult to walk... And then the guy tapping out after a couple of days because he was missing the wife...
CBee

Region: Queensland

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 12:19 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
wayno wrote:

Having watched 6 series of it, I would say that this idea is actually a winning one. It is the chubsters who outlast everyone. In a few series, if not for a medical elimination, the runner up definitely had the gumption to keep on going.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Between Bushwalks