Desktop version
For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.
Post a reply

Day-tripping in Tassie

Tue 24 Jan, 2023 11:05 am

Specifically in Burnie and Penguin next week.
The Boss and I are taking a short cruise and the ship docks in Burnie for the day.
We have family in Burnie and we'll be playing catch-up. We've been in these towns before [ but not in January]and it was cool to *&%$#! cold.
Will we need our cold weather gear or just our cool weather coats next week ??
Our family are used to weather there and reckon all we'll need are T-Shirts but I have my doubts and the forecast a week in advance can't be trusted.
Pub lunch in Penguin and some S/H shopping there and buying Raclette and DuckRiver butter if we can because they have sold out locally.

Re: Day-tripping in Tassie

Tue 24 Jan, 2023 12:13 pm

http://www.bom.gov.au/tas/forecasts/map7day.shtml

Select Burnie or Penguin on map, and get 7 day forecast. Currently, next Sunday Monday are partly cloudy 22 - 17, cloudy, 21-13 Burnie and similar for Penguin

Tue 24 Jan, 2023 12:37 pm

Got that but I was hoping for some local knowledge because the forecast isn't always accurate

Tue 24 Jan, 2023 1:41 pm

Weather here in January oscillates from warm/hot to cold/wet on a near daily basis. Particularly at elevation. You can probably leave your snowshoes at home (though snow's perfectly possible) but otherwise, pack for all occasions ;-)

BOM's accuracy varies but usually YR and Mountain Forecast are good. I'm not entirely sure where they get their data from, but Garmin's InReach weather forecasts were >95% accurate for our recent trip into the Eldons.

Tue 24 Jan, 2023 1:49 pm

We'll pack the winter raincoats

Tue 24 Jan, 2023 5:33 pm

You won't need the winter raincoats, but make sure you have a lightweight long sleeve top as it can feel chilly even on a warm day if the wind is from the south or southwest.

Tue 24 Jan, 2023 9:33 pm

Raincoats only, not insulated, just my long LW Drizabone riding coat so I look trendy

Sat 04 Feb, 2023 4:35 pm

Burnie and Penguin 25C, sunny and no wind.
Got home this morning to Melbourne, 16C wet and windy and *&%$#! cold and that's when we needed the winter coats.
Post a reply