Basic river kayak (kid friendly) near sydney

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Basic river kayak (kid friendly) near sydney

Postby Tantell » Sat 28 Oct, 2023 10:06 am

Hi all, looking for ideas not too far from Sydney (northern beaches) maybe up to 2 or 3hrs tops drive. Couple of dads looking to take 7yo kids on a river kayak and then a camp on the bank or close by for the night. Looking for a bit of current so they don't have to paddle much, access not too far from cars as we don't have superlight packrafts.
I looked at colo river but I think access for us will be too hard. Also looked at maybe berowra to twin beaches on the hawkesbury.

I'm not familiar with a lot of the waterways- any suggestions I could check out?
Cheers
Shaun
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Basic river kayak (kid friendly) near sydney

Postby Neo » Sat 28 Oct, 2023 1:14 pm

Hi Shaun the Crosslands reserve at Hornsby is very convenient. Used a lot for school camps weekdays. From there are some campsites upstream, or go downstream to what was known as bouncy bridge or you could paddle further down to the ferry but think of the return. Somewhat tidal, not much flow unless heavy rain I guess.

A great place is Kangaroo Valley, can put in at the bridge and do the light rapids to the start of the lake(dam), can camp or start at Bendeela reserve, lots of wombats. If you camp/go from the end of the road at Beehive point then you can just explore all directions from there it is very nice.

Colo River, I have seen people camp under the main bridge I think it's Putty Rd. Nice to paddle up or down from there.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sat 28 Oct, 2023 1:36 pm

Myall Lakes is great, make your own adventure.
Deerubbin Reserve Boat Ramp to Murramurra Creek is a real adventure, but you don't want to have problems crossing from Milsons Point to Fishermans. Once up the creek, there are a few stealth campsites, so keep your eyes open.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tantell » Mon 30 Oct, 2023 5:06 am

Awesome thanks for the ideas. I have been to KV yet so will definitely check that out. Cheers
Tantell
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Between Bushwalks