In Hobart for today

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

In Hobart for today

Postby johnw » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 3:03 pm

I'm here very briefly for a one day stopover with Mrs and small grandaughter on a short cruise. Thanks for turning on some decent weather :). Would have liked to go up kunanyi for a walk but not a lot of time to do much. And I still have a recovering TKR, so just had a wander around town. I haven't visited since 2019, so not that long before Covid. Was very disappointed that my favourite second hand bookstore just off Sandy Bay Rd has closed and been replaced with some sort of designer home furnishings shop. A shame as they had a lot of bushwalking related titles and old maps etc. But I did discover Cracked and Spineless in Collins Street, which is worth a look if you're into such things. Picked up a couple of early Tasmanian Tramps for $10 each, and a 1:100,000 Huon topo map for $5. Hope to return for a proper visit once my knee fully recovers.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: In Hobart for today

Postby Letstryagain » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 3:09 pm

Good find John.
It's long been a favorite of mine. Owner is very knowledgeable and if they don't have what you are after in stock, like some kind of cartel they can often acquire it for you.

The shop in Sandy bay, along with one in lindisfarne and in the city have closed in recent years. Isn't technology wonderful :roll: :cry:
Letstryagain
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 3:44 pm

Letstryagain wrote:Good find John.
It's long been a favorite of mine. Owner is very knowledgeable and if they don't have what you are after in stock, like some kind of cartel they can often acquire it for you.

The shop in Sandy bay, along with one in lindisfarne and in the city have closed in recent years. Isn't technology wonderful :roll: :cry:

Thanks LTA. Definitely hard copy books have been going out of fashion, but I still treasure most of mine. Yes he actually mentioned he had a couple of other TTs out the back so I ended up with one being a 1949 edition. The other secondhand bookshop I know downstairs in Salamanca Place, at the back, is still there but the one upstairs that had a lot of maritime related stuff, as well as bushwalking, has gone.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Letstryagain » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 4:06 pm

I have a few old tramps laying about I haven't touched in a few decades. Earliest ones no 7.

Not sure if you'd be interested but feel free to PM an offer. Seems a shame to sit them on the shelf gathering dust.
Attachments
PXL_20240131_060244403.jpg
PXL_20240131_060238350.jpg
PXL_20240131_060231460.jpg
Letstryagain
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Letstryagain » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 4:08 pm

A few "recent" ones too
Attachments
PXL_20240131_060717943.jpg
Letstryagain
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Wed 31 Jan, 2024 5:03 pm

Thanks, I'll give it some thought but I've pretty much run out of space to store any more books for now. I was a bit hesitant about the couple I bought today. But they're early editions and less bulky, I should be able to shoehorn them in somewhere. Eventually I'll go through my whole collection and rationalise it.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Letstryagain » Sat 10 Feb, 2024 10:13 am

Books all sold
Letstryagain
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Between Bushwalks