Separate NSW and Other States Photo Guessing Games?

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Do you think we should have separate NSW Only and Other States versions of Photo Guessing Game?

Poll ended at Sat 17 Dec, 2022 10:49 am

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes : 10

Separate NSW and Other States Photo Guessing Games?

Postby johnw » Sat 03 Dec, 2022 10:49 am

I've been playing all three photo guessing games since they first started, way back when.
Over the years they have evolved somewhat, but all versions run more slowly these days.
More recently I've noticed that the Aussie version, which covers all of Australia outside of Tasmania, is dominated by NSW entries.

My assumptions are that a high proportion proportion of current members are from NSW, and that most people likely walk in the their own state most of the time.
I feel that the current situation doesn't offer a fair opportunity for non-NSW members, who may not be familiar with the locations presented.
Sometimes I feel guilty continually posting entries from NSW as others may feel excluded.
It also stalls the game when someone does post an image from another state, as the high proportion of NSW members are often not familiar with those locations.
Personally, I do try to post images from elsewhere, from my limited selection of those, but the game often comes to a standstill when I do.

My thinking is whether it is worth having a separate NSW only version of the game, and leave the existing version for all other states?
This could allow other states more opportunity to participate, assuming there remains a reasonable level of interest outside NSW.
The concept and rules for a NSW game would be basically the same as the existing Tasmania only version.

What does everyone think?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Separate NSW and Other States Photo Guessing Games?

Postby north-north-west » Sat 03 Dec, 2022 11:03 am

It's Saturday. You expect us to think?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Sat 03 Dec, 2022 12:53 pm

north-north-west wrote:It's Saturday. You expect us to think?

No, you can have the weekend off NNW. I thought you might say that :wink:, so I've left the poll open for 2 weeks for input and any comments.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Sat 03 Dec, 2022 6:13 pm

I suspect all forms of the game are running a bit out of puff.
Happy to continue, but I doubt another branch would stimulate more interest.
However, a survey was taken a few years back and it was interesting how many looked at the photos without trying to get involved in answers or posts.
For instance the most recent for each arm have been viewed Tas 40 times [4 hours to solve], Aus 86 times [1 day still unsolved], International 104 times [3 days still unsolved].
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby crollsurf » Sat 03 Dec, 2022 6:52 pm

Social media has moved on from these older style forums. I've seen the same in other forums as well. Mainly just enthusiasts left. But having said that, thousands do visit these forums and check what's being posted. They just don't interact anymore.

You could create a NSW only "Where is it" but I think the current all state version would die shortly afterwards.

Would be nice to see more pics from other states but it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Sat 03 Dec, 2022 8:43 pm

Thanks both for those comments from two very experienced players.

I particularly appreciate eggs' viewpoint as someone well travelled from outside NSW.
Yes I've casually observed the many views without input and assumed people just like to look at the photos.
BTW you had actually solved the current Aus entry :).

crollsurf wrote:You could create a NSW only "Where is it" but I think the current all state version would die shortly afterwards.

This is a key concern crollsurf and possibly the most compelling reason to leave the status quo.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Fri 09 Dec, 2022 11:59 am

I'll bump this in case it hasn't been seen yet by any other interested members.
Letting the poll run until the expiry date, very slightly in favour at this stage, but I think the existing sample size is far too small to pursue it further.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Fri 16 Dec, 2022 9:45 am

johnw wrote:I'll bump this in case it hasn't been seen yet by any other interested members.
Letting the poll run until the expiry date, very slightly in favour at this stage, but I think the existing sample size is far too small to pursue it further.

I think letting it run a while longer could be useful. (Today is the first time I've read this subject.)

It is a vexed issue, that's for sure, and all the comments so far exemplify that fact. I not sure there is a simple solution that will suit all. The only one I'd put up (and would not be unhappy if it is knocked down), is that after a set number of repeated entries (say, five in a row) from one state, the "winner" waives the right to go next, and the competition is automatically open to someone from any other state. If, as is conceivable based on past entries, the number of entries from states having a small number of members stalls after there have been less than five, any one goes next. This might be too complicated. Maybe there's a way of implementing a more clearly expressed model along similar lines?

Edit: I didn't vote in the poll. Put me down as Undecided.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby keithj » Fri 16 Dec, 2022 11:17 am

Maybe self-moderate with an unwritten rule that the regulars should show a strong preference for Other States after a string of NSW.
keithj
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Fri 16 Dec, 2022 11:41 am

keithj wrote:Maybe self-moderate with an unwritten rule that the regulars should show a strong preference for Other States after a string of NSW.

Kethj, I don't think that will work. Despite the best intentions, NSW contributors may not have many photographs from other states and territories (particularly SA, WA and NT), as johnw suggested in the OP.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby johnw » Sat 17 Dec, 2022 3:00 pm

Thanks for those further comments, the poll has now closed.
Any further discussion can continue here but it's already been running for 2 weeks so I don't plan to re-open the poll.

My conclusion/summary:

1. Regardless of results, I don't have any authority to make changes. Any member can propose/request changes but only the site owner/mod team can implement them.

2. Results are Yes=3, No=7, Undecided=1 (that we know of). Based on that I don't intend to propose/request any changes. It's a fairly small number of votes but is probably reflective of the number of regular players.

3. Thank you peregrinator for your thoughts. You were among the people I had in mind when I raised this question. Before I retired I spent many years of my career analysing business processes.
The problem is that the more complexity introduced with additional steps and rules means that people are less likely to understand and follow them. Worst case scenario they just give up playing because it is too hard. So I don't think additional rules are the answer. Some people already struggle to follow the existing ones.

4. I agree that keithj's suggestion would be unlikely to work for the reasons I originally outlined, supported by peregrinator's comments.
However anyone is already free to pass/forfeit their turn if they wish, which leaves the game open to any state.
Some have tried to then conditionally request entries from a specific state/s, but this usually breaks the game and it stalls for lengthy periods.

So I am happy to leave things as they are, but anyone is obviously free to make their own proposal for change.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Forum & Site