Lack of Posts

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Lack of Posts

Postby Overlandman » Tue 26 Dec, 2023 10:33 am

Hard to believe it’s been 2 months since anyone posted on the Overland Track and Cradle Mountain Forum?
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lack of Posts

Postby north-north-west » Tue 26 Dec, 2023 4:03 pm

Overlandman wrote:Hard to believe it’s been 2 months since anyone posted on the Overland Track and Cradle Mountain Forum?

Most people get their info from FB these days.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Letstryagain » Wed 27 Dec, 2023 5:24 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Overlandman wrote:Hard to believe it’s been 2 months since anyone posted on the Overland Track and Cradle Mountain Forum?

Most people get their info from FB these days.

The over 40s anyway. No one under 40 is on FB anymore. It's all insta and tiktok
Letstryagain
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwalks » Sun 07 Jan, 2024 2:34 pm

Yes there are some active groups on Facebook for Overland and other 'iconic' walks. (some very questionable advice given at times)
Web search results seem to suggest people still read the information on the forums (much more that join and post).
There has been a real shift on the web over the last decade towards mega-platforms where people spend most of there time, social media, youtube etc.
Hard to know what that means for platforms like this in time.
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby benoloughlin » Mon 08 Jan, 2024 4:57 pm

The writing is on the wall, unfortunately.
Unless there is a strategy to attract people (prospective members) to this site and get existing members to return and contribute - it will eventually become irrelevant to anyone seeking advice and companionship on the track.
You can have all the expertise and experience in the world and bushwalking is now more popular than ever but unless you can attract eyeballs to bushwalk.com it will die.
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Mon 08 Jan, 2024 5:12 pm

I'm a long way from Tasmania, but tend to check the 'view active topics' at least once a day, at worst twice a week. That's the whole of bushwalk not the two groups mentioned. I noticed a few times either side of Christmas a notice that too many people were logged on at once!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Mon 08 Jan, 2024 5:58 pm

benoloughlin wrote:The writing is on the wall, unfortunately.
Unless there is a strategy to attract people (prospective members) to this site and get existing members to return and contribute - it will eventually become irrelevant to anyone seeking advice and companionship on the track.
You can have all the expertise and experience in the world and bushwalking is now more popular than ever but unless you can attract eyeballs to bushwalk.com it will die.

I may be just an optimist. But I still feel like it will tick away on here. The advice here is second to none. As mentioned by Wild, very questionable on facey. The searches through google etc will still bring up this forum if people are looking. Facebook is like a never-ending loop with the same info being re-told again and again because the search features for previous posts are terrible. It's so much easier to search back on here and find the info you need. But you're right, it can't hurt to promote it somehow...
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby benoloughlin » Tue 09 Jan, 2024 11:21 am

Facebook (and YouTube) gets the traffic and importantly it’s getting people to search for information there rather than using Google and finding an alternative and more authoritative source.
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby benoloughlin » Tue 09 Jan, 2024 11:24 am

Neo wrote:I noticed a few times either side of Christmas a notice that too many people were logged on at once!

You will probably find a majority of those ‘guests’ are actually bots.
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 09 Jan, 2024 3:24 pm

I like it the way it is. A great repository of information with people who generally know what they are talking about and are respectful.

I was a member of a Mastadon instance called aus.social. Probably 100 regulars. I used to call it my sleeply little billabong. Some of the members were a bit weird but everyone was chilled and nobody was on anyones case. Then Musk bought Twitter and the twitterartty show up! It turned into an absolute sh*tshow within days. And the old crew fled on mass. I think the only ones left are the admin and another member who posts photos of birds.

So be careful what you wish for.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby phATty » Thu 29 Feb, 2024 11:07 am

I'm among the younger members of this forum and respectfully, I'd never get any walk information from Facebook. My first bet is always searching '*insert walk or landmark here* bushwalk.com', the wealth of knowledge on this site is unmatched, atleast on the Tassie side of things.
phATty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tasmanian University Bushwalking Club

Postby Dexter » Thu 29 Feb, 2024 11:13 am

phATty wrote:I'm among the younger members of this forum and respectfully, I'd never get any walk information from Facebook. My first bet is always searching '*insert walk or landmark here* bushwalk.com', the wealth of knowledge on this site is unmatched, atleast on the Tassie side of things.

Same.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Forum & Site