[WTB Melbourne] KTI PLB

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

[WTB Melbourne] KTI PLB

Postby axel » Tue 23 Feb, 2021 10:07 pm

Hi everyone, so I'm sure people have heard the news that KTI have been bought out by a Norwegian company, and thus they have temporarily ceased production of their PLBs.

I'm after one, having given away my McMurdo FastFind on another forum a few months back as it was out of battery life and I didn't have the time to spend replacing it.

If you have a SA2GN that you would like to part with, please hit me up!

Cheers!
axel
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: [WTB Melbourne] KTI PLB

Postby axel » Wed 24 Feb, 2021 3:23 pm

Never mind all, managed to score one from a WA store this afternoon.

Cheers!
axel
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 12 Jun, 2021 12:20 am

Coming in late on this but this KTI SA2G PLB is still very attractive with its 10 years battery shelf life. My old PLB1 RescueMe has finally called its 7 years and just wondering if people would still go for this unit despite KTI being crashed by the pandemic. Found a seller on eBay.

Also, is there any significant difference with the SA2GN model apart from NFC feature?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Sat 12 Jun, 2021 11:38 am

GPSGuided wrote:Coming in late on this but this KTI SA2G PLB is still very attractive with its 10 years battery shelf life. My old PLB1 RescueMe has finally called its 7 years and just wondering if people would still go for this unit despite KTI being crashed by the pandemic. Found a seller on eBay.

Also, is there any significant difference with the SA2GN model apart from NFC feature?

As long as you can validate that it's new from a legitimate seller (usual eBay cautions etc) I'd say go for it.
I'm certainly keeping mine, battery is not due to expire until 2029 I think. Nice compact unit, thankfully never had to press the button, other than self testing.
Sorry, can't help with the NFC question.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 12 Jun, 2021 1:40 pm

Thanks John for the comments. Followed the eBay link and it turned out to be a non-event, an out of date listing. With my reminder, the proprietor withdrew the listing. Then I also found the WA seller, but it’s listed as on a wait list of up to 6 months, suggesting KTI or the new owner of the company is due to push out a redesigned unit in the months ahead.

Oh well, looks like that I’m stuck with either getting another OceanSignal unit now or there’s the possibility that an updated KTI unit will appear in a few more months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 9:30 am

Inreach?

Ongoing costs are a factor but could be minimal if you only go on a few trips per year where your out of mobile coverage and can use the 'pay as you use' plan.

It's surprising where you can get mobile reception these days especially on high points. (though as I'm sure you know, if walking solo plbs are always the way to go..)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 9:47 am

I was a retailer of the KTI (which was a great bit of kit). I am not aware of a date for the new owner to release qn updated version. In fact, the last interaction I had with them there was still no guarantee they would bother with the PLB (marine EPIRBs are their main business).

If you need a PLB now, just go with another brand, as the odds of a KTI one being available again this year are very slim.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 15 Jun, 2021 8:36 pm

Thanks guys for the thinking and info.

I long loved the idea of an InReach but just can’t justify the cost, whether subscription or PAYG pricing with such a 2-way unit. The idea of a single purpose life saving PLB device is still the way to go. Given the unknown on an updated KTI, maybe my decision is sealed with another OceanSignal PLB1. I waited and waited for the previous PLB1 to hit its expiry date but should have just went for a KTI last year whilst it was available and cheap. Oh well…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired