Hammock underquilts query Make do with

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hammock underquilts query Make do with

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 04 Dec, 2021 9:09 am

So I am finally going to have a go at a simple hammock.
From my readings and conversations with hangers I know about the cold weather problems and the need to below hammock insulations.As almost always I am on a pretty tight budget and need to utilise items I already have.
Part of my stash of gear are my summer sleeping bags, a S2S TR1in the XL size and TR2 in a Large; and I'm wondering if anybody here who hangs has used either as an underquilt and if so did either of them need to be modified in any way?
Otherwise would; in the forums opinion; would either of them work well enough without modifications except for a loop to hold some sort of attachment device to hold them in place?
Assuming a reasonable clearance between the hammock fabric and the S2S would I gain much dead air insulation to allow use below the EN ratings?
As they have compatible zippers I'm guessing that if it was really cold I could use both in conjunction but I think if it was that cold I'd be more comfortable in a great big tent with a wood stove and a cot
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Hammock underquilts query Make do with

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 04 Dec, 2021 10:22 am

I've put on a bit of belly fat lately and I'm currently pushing 120 kilos so I have some concerns about the strength of the finished article.

Is it worthwhile adding in a small section of additional fabric in the centre third? I have some small pieces of cheap ripstop here including one off-cut about a metre and a half long.

If I did this I was thinking that if I finished the cut edges and only sewed in along the selvage would that;

A: Add to the overall strength?

B: Be a good way to secure a thin CCF pad if I thought it was needed?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ricrunner » Sat 04 Dec, 2021 11:05 am

I don't know how people can handle hammocks for sleeping in. I am a cyclotourist, and although I can carry a bit of weight on my bike, especially having my dog along, I prefer, the tent. I cannot see how a hammock can be hung in the desert, or for that matter in mallee scrub. I suppose they are good for the big scrub or rainforests. I can't see how you would be warm in winter though. I watch a fair few camping vlogs on youtube, and even campers with the correct winter hammock set ups, they complain that at 0 C down to -8 C, they just don't seem to be able to keep warm. If you are going to use the set up, that you have mentioned, I would stick to camping in warmer weather.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Sat 04 Dec, 2021 12:46 pm

ricrunner wrote:I don't know how people can handle hammocks for sleeping in. I am a cyclotourist, and although I can carry a bit of weight on my bike, especially having my dog along, I prefer, the tent. I cannot see how a hammock can be hung in the desert, or for that matter in mallee scrub. I suppose they are good for the big scrub or rainforests. I can't see how you would be warm in winter though. I watch a fair few camping vlogs on youtube, and even campers with the correct winter hammock set ups, they complain that at 0 C down to -8 C, they just don't seem to be able to keep warm. If you are going to use the set up, that you have mentioned, I would stick to camping in warmer weather.

These days there are options for hanging in treeless terrain, sandy deserts & beaches etc etc.
https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/?v=6cc98ba2045f

You can hang @ a icy -25°c through to a tropical 35°c...just have to choose the appropriate gear, if your getting cold during the night it's normally user error. :wink:
Last edited by ofuros on Sun 05 Dec, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ofuros » Sat 04 Dec, 2021 1:00 pm

I have modified a sleeping bag to use a top quilt which I really like & still use, but not as Under Quilt.

Probably the easiest idea.....I am assuming gathered end hammock here.

Screenshot_20211204-120449.png

Double layer (to cover your weight) sewn in diagonal sleeve(stops the insulated mat from moving around) A Under Quilt does give you a wider sweet (warm) spot, so you can move around without hanging a body part over the edge of the mat, thus missing out on the cold butt/arm/leg syndrome. :D

Screenshot_20211204-120309.png

Material length & width make a difference....

Screenshot_20211204-120835.png

Pics from the Ultimate Hang by Derek Hansen
Last edited by ofuros on Sat 04 Dec, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sat 04 Dec, 2021 1:57 pm

Basic rectangular gathered end hammock Under Quilt... don't worry about the slit down the middle, that's for a bottom entry Hennessy.

You can taper the ends if you wish...

Hoop & cinch buckle in each corner. (Hang from hoops & close ends using cinch buckles to hug hammock shape).
2x extra hoops or velcro/Omni tape on each side along the longest length.(Again to hug hammock shape for warmth or to loosen off to cool down).

Your decision if your sleeping bags are suitable....

IMG_20211204_133108_654_copy_1224x1632.jpg

IMG_20211204_133125_536_copy_1224x1632.jpg

IMG_20211204_133156_501_copy_1632x1224.jpg
Last edited by ofuros on Sat 04 Dec, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 04 Dec, 2021 2:04 pm

I just visited his website and found some good stuff.
Yes to being a simple gathered end although I did think about a hybrid and had thought about a hybrid in the past.
Good idea about sewing in a small pouch to put stuff in, headlamp/reading glasses/water bottle / pee bottle etc. maybe 2 and keep the pee bottle separate.
This is heavier fabric than I originally thought, the 4.5m length I cut from the roll weighs 550grams. Somebody over at the Ski forum has suggested looking at a Peapod if I'm going to any real cold weather hanging.

OK so looking at the attached picture I can see that the hammock needs matching places for the tabs to go through. I may have some mitten hooks here.
Looks like either of my summer sleeping bags would work as underquilts being the largest size Travellers S2S offered at the time.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Sat 04 Dec, 2021 2:25 pm

Yes to matching tabs on the hammock.
Pouches either side are really handy or hang a pouch off your structural ridgeline above your head.

If I'm expecting temps below -10°c I just add another Under Quilt. Doubling the thickness, more insulation, more warmth. Doesn't have to be full length, it can be 3/4 or even half length covering your torso only. Much the same as layering with clothes.

Have fun with your new project, Moondog. 8)
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 05 Dec, 2021 4:40 pm

ricrunner wrote:I don't know how people can handle hammocks for sleeping in. I am a cyclotourist, and although I can carry a bit of weight on my bike, especially having my dog along, I prefer, the tent. I cannot see how a hammock can be hung in the desert, or for that matter in mallee scrub. I suppose they are good for the big scrub or rainforests. I can't see how you would be warm in winter though. I watch a fair few camping vlogs on youtube, and even campers with the correct winter hammock set ups, they complain that at 0 C down to -8 C, they just don't seem to be able to keep warm. If you are going to use the set up, that you have mentioned, I would stick to camping in warmer weather.
Here’s a video shot of hammocking in seriously cold weather by one of the hammocking gurus - Shug Emery:

https://youtu.be/CTuGJgka1qc

Note that he’s a professional clown in his day job so he has a particular “style” that you may or may not like.

Re locations, I have slung my hammock in places where you could not put a tent. Examples are across small streams, on 20 degree slopes and above sharp rocks.
And, of course, there are places where you can’t hang a hammock without artificial aids.
If I know ahead of time that there won’t be anything to hang from (eg Brinkley Bluff on the Larapinta), I just take a sleeping mat and “go to ground”.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Equipment