Klymit Double Insulated Mat

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Klymit Double Insulated Mat

Postby Erniec2 » Mon 13 Sep, 2021 7:35 pm

Have had this mat for awhile.

I bought it off DROP for a reasonable price.

The specs say it has a R value 4.4.

Have shared it with the wife once and used it last year in woolshed which isn't really a test.

Anyway I was bored yesterday and with weather looking like getting a bit rough,2 grandchildren for the weekend i thought I would rig up my fly for a rough night.

Set fly up pegged to ground back and both sides.

Then thought the double mat will fit just right I can sprawl out and be in the lap of luxury.

The bag I used was an Exped Waterbloc so wasn't concerned with getting a bit of moisture on it and should stay warm.

Well the bag didn't get wet.

But my hips got cold when lying on my side.

I think what caused it is having room to spread our but fly tied right down the mat was edge to edge and I was in the middle of the double mat.

On my back beauty.

On either side shoulders ok.

But when on my side hips got cold even though I had inflation bang on and comfort was sweet.

I think because I slept in the middle the hips ended up in an under insulated piece or something.

Has anybody else had the same experience because my luxury for one idea isn't so flash now.

Temp wasn't that low wet day then cleared off during night maybe close to zero at grass level.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
Erniec2
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Re: Klymit Double Insulated Mat

Postby Lamont » Mon 13 Sep, 2021 9:23 pm

Pointy bit's on/around the hips are much heavier than shoulders and going further between the ridges, especially once you move around a bit, and getting closer to the cold ground/air moving between the ridges where there is next to no insulation. Get yourself some 3mm EVA and cover the torso area-on top of the Kymit, not under. Should be about 40-50 gms at most. Warehouse might have some.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby grunter » Mon 13 Sep, 2021 9:29 pm

ASTM R value is only 1.9. Disregard the 4.4. I was cold at -4 with an insulated foam mat underneath it as well. At zero I was fine. It is a comfortable mat though.
grunter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Erniec2 » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 10:04 am

Thanks for the replies.
I have 2 Exped mats I also use.
Just the flopping out on this mat doesn't work when cold and would be worse using a quilt.
Just for interest I still have one of the first self inflating thermarests.
Now use on camp bed with camp bed mattress on top when truck camping.
Very warm and comfortable.
It must be 30+ years old.

Erniec2
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 15 Sep, 2021 11:52 am

Erniec2 wrote:Just the flopping out on this mat doesn't work when cold and would be worse using a quilt.

Yes, absolutely worse with a quilt. I nearly froze my bits off working this out for myself and parted with a bewwwwdiful Australian made quilt thinking quilt life wasn't for me as a result. Quilt and the Klymit mat = poor combo
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Hikrazy » Tue 02 Nov, 2021 5:05 pm

I have the same mat and have just come back from a -1° night in tassie highlands. I have woken up at least 5 times per night on cold nights. I tried putting my fleece jumper in top of the mat and wearing woolen thermal pants but still get sore hips.
I think I will take the advice and get some EVA foam and also some elastic to prevent the foam from moving
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby CBee » Tue 02 Nov, 2021 8:05 pm

I have a Klymit insulated mat that I purchased second hand from a member here. The yellow one (lite). I slept several days in very cold conditions but especially one night while snowing. On that and a -4 bag. Never had a problem.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Hikrazy » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 4:46 am

https://youtu.be/e2H8EYHvF3U I feel cheated in my static V insulated purchase.
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Hikrazy » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 6:34 pm

Update. I bought a new mat with 5+ insulation.
Still got hip pain.
I have come to the conclusion that it could be hip inflammation as I made it a point to jump into bed as soon as I got home after a 2 day hike and could still feel the pain
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Warin » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 8:24 pm

Hikrazy wrote:Update. I bought a new mat with 5+ insulation.
Still got hip pain.
I have come to the conclusion that it could be hip inflammation as I made it a point to jump into bed as soon as I got home after a 2 day hike and could still feel the pain

To remove the sleeping from the hip pain?
Try sleeping on the mat at home - without the hiking. That should prove it is not mat causing the pain through being uncomfortable.
Temperature? Sleep outside at home with tent, mat and sleeping bag ...

If it is the hiking causing the pain;
are you using walking poles? After 10 kms I can feel the difference.
pack weight?
shoes/boots?
physio?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hikrazy » Wed 08 Dec, 2021 11:05 am

Warin wrote:
Still got hip pain.

To remove the sleeping from the hip pain?
Try sleeping on the mat at home - without the hiking. That should prove it is not mat causing the pain through being uncomfortable.
Temperature? Sleep outside at home with tent, mat and sleeping bag ...

If it is the hiking causing the pain;
are you using walking poles? After 10 kms I can feel the difference.
pack weight?
shoes/boots?
physio?

I forgot to mention my 10 years in the army
But your correct I need a controlled environment to compare to.
Hikrazy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Flipper Hands » Wed 08 Dec, 2021 12:59 pm

Hikrazy wrote:
Warin wrote:
Still got hip pain.

Prefix: Get to the root cause.
I had a similar issue. I went to my physio, GP, and so on. In the end I was sent for an X-Ray and ended up at an orthopaedic surgeon.
It turned out I had a structural problem in my hip, bone spurs. I have osteoarthritis top look forward to :) and a couple new hips.
Anyway, I now have a specific set of unusual stretches to do, and a TENS machine which I use when a couple Panamax don't work. Buy a cheap TENS machine ASAP.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Mon 13 Dec, 2021 2:15 pm

Try again but don't fully pump the mat. So long as your hip isn't touching the ground, it should be more comfortable and still provide insulation.

I'll lie on my side and arch to put more weight on my hip, let out some air until my hip is just touching the ground. At that point you should have a perfect balance of air v comfort.

I'm not worried about the mildew build up inside the mat, so just blow it up with my warm breath. Once the air inside the mat cools, 9 times out of 10, it's at the right comfort level

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment