Hiking Trousers Recommendations

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Hiking Trousers Recommendations

Postby Hiking Exped » Wed 26 Jan, 2022 3:55 pm

I am in pursuit of the perfect (for me) all round hiking trousers and looking to everyone here for ideas. Over the years I have tried many, from the very expensive to the budget.

There are many trousers with specifications I like, but not found one trouser as yet with everything just right.

Requirements

1) Soft material (I suffer with severe leg nerve pain from an old BTI and some materials can aggravate)
2) lightweight and quick drying
3) Durable enough for serious hiking and expeditions (I like reinforced knees, groin area and foot hem to stop wear)
4) I like a large leg pocket for a laminated folded map (old school)
5) Hand pockets are nice, and an additional zipper hand pocket is a nice feature for keys, etc on a day hike
6) A phone pocket high up near the waist is nice. I have a Helikon tactical pair with what is supposed to be a rifle magazine pocket which makes a great phone pocket.
7) A bum pocket for a wallet is a useful extra if hopping into shops
8) A loose casual fit and some of the stretch materials work quite nice with give, etc.

Let me hear about anything you use and would recommend, especially if they meet my requirements.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Hiking Trousers Recommendations

Postby Warin » Wed 26 Jan, 2022 9:12 pm

8) Reinforce bum for sitting and sliding on rocks.

Need similar for shorts too for those who seek such.

The light weight runner shorts are fine for light duty but lack the strength to withstand my 'walks'. Similar with teh zip off trousers .. they tend not to have the reinforcements required.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Joynz » Thu 27 Jan, 2022 5:23 am

https://decathlon.com.au/products/mens- ... k-500-blue?

Haven’t tried these - but they have lots of pockets and heavier fabric in the areas you mentioned.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ggorgeman » Thu 27 Jan, 2022 8:32 am

I recently bought a pair of these https://meklerstore.com/collections/pro ... door-pants
There was a heavy push on social media which I fell for (and felt like a bit of a sucker).... but they arrived and early indications are that they're really good. I haven't fully tested the 'waterproof' qualities nor durability in heavy conditions. But first impressions are positive.
Edit: note that pricing is USD. From memory it came it at approx AUD$85
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Thu 27 Jan, 2022 11:53 am

I have trouble finding good hiking clothing because of my XXL size but found these and been wearing them for over 8 years now. They don't have bum or knee patches but have lasted well for me. A heap of pockets, some with zips. Zip-off legs and had no problem with quality.
https://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/clark-men-s-zip-off-hiking-pants.html?colour=476

I actually bought a new pair recently because I was worried they may stop making them. I know Kathmandu don't have the best rep but these are good quality and obviously like everything Kathmandu, don't pay full price.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby markg » Thu 03 Feb, 2022 10:23 pm

Check this place out. TUSX . They make hunting clothing that should tick all your boxes. Mostly a camo pattern though , but they have good fabrics either light or heavier.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 04 Feb, 2022 7:43 am

Summer or winter?
If winter have a look at the US army PCU soft shell pants but they are both rare and expensive
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Exped » Fri 04 Feb, 2022 10:13 am

Thanks for all the ideas. Some possibles here. I regularly use similar trousers all year around unless on snow. In pursuit of the light, durable, comfortable, functional perfect pair :D
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Fri 04 Feb, 2022 7:31 pm

Hi I prefer trousers over shorts and less pockets but do like one flat leg pocket. Repeat buying/adding for me are the Patagonia rock pants, then simul alpine pants for colder weather.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kott » Sun 06 Feb, 2022 8:04 am

Funnily enough I've always hiked in shorts and then sometimes in Jeans...yes jeans...when not wet they are perfect...but now I'm thinking its time to get hiking pants...just so I wouldnt have to worry about mozzies and marchflies etc..
and its hard...I have longer legs so most pants are slightly short.
I also would prefer tighter fitting pants and its soo hard to find.

Anyone happen to come across any that would work like that?
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Hiking Exped » Sun 06 Feb, 2022 11:23 am

Depends if you want pockets, etc. leggings or base layer sports types work well if you like a comfort tight stretch fit. I also know a few that where a thin set of these under shorts so they have pockets, etc. Seems easier to find a comfort long leg fit in these.

I am still pursuing the perfect hiking trouser :D
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Wed 09 Feb, 2022 9:33 am

There is no perfect trousers but IMO Montane Terra ticks most of your boxes.

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/mon ... -mens.html

I use these with crampons or snowshoes in the winter. They are heavy duty but have a zip in the side to open up a vent so are still tolerable on warm days. You can get a lightweight version I believe.

A robust pair of trousers without reinforced butt, these are my go to or most of the year, there are always a couple of pair in my wardrobe:

https://www.mont.com.au/collections/men ... -pants-men
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Wed 09 Feb, 2022 10:40 am

I also have the Montane Terra linked by slparker. My preference is shorts over long thermals, but that setup is too inflexible for what I do in Aus., and for the times that I do it. Have gotten a bit sun shy over the years and so shorts alone in Aus are not the best for me, although temperature wise, shorts alone, usually with gaiters would be fine.

For me the Terras are an excellent compromise. They keep the wind and the sun off and in cold weather can be supplemented with thermals if necessary. Dunno how they stand up to thick scrub, and am not keen to find out.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hiking Exped » Thu 10 Feb, 2022 6:41 am

Yep I have some Montane Terra trousers and they are certainly one of my near perfect choices, but I have others that are more comfortable on my bad leg and have better pocket configurations. The search continues :D
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby legend » Thu 24 Feb, 2022 10:38 am

Have a look at the Snowgum shop (1702 Dandenong Rd, Oakleigh East VIC ). They have a variety of pants mad of various fabrics.
legend
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Thu 24 Feb, 2022 1:26 pm

Not a recommendation, or my usual source for gear, but I was out this morning and passed a Lowes menswear store.
They had "Outer Peak" brand stretch hiking pants in both zip off and straight leg styles on clearance for $19-99.
Polyester/Elastane fabric, hopefully quick drying. I think they are also part of their fishing gear range.
I had actually seen these before for between $50 and $60.
Sizes from S/32inch waist (my size) to much larger sizes. I imagine available sizes will vary from store to store.
I tried them on and the fit was very generous, especially with the stretchy fabric. I'll definitely need to wear a belt.
Anyway I grabbed 2 pairs, cheap experiment at that price.

p.s. Re pockets on the zip off leg type that I bought. 2 open side pockets. A bit shallower than I'd like but seems to hold my reasonable sized android phone securely.
2 zip leg pockets that will just fit my phone. 1 rear zip pocket that's slightly too shallow for my phone (just over 165mm tall in its case).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Thu 24 Feb, 2022 2:22 pm

I recently got these, one black one navy. Intended as a campsite pants change but could be good for walking at half the price of hike trousers. Thin but a weave that shouldn't snag, mesh hand pockets, note no leg or bum pockets.

https://www.rebelsport.com.au/p/adidas- ... 53104.html
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment