Pack size these days

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Pack size these days

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon 28 Nov, 2022 9:14 pm

I'm going to spring for a new pack. One of the new One Planet lightweight ones. I'm coming from the venerable Wilderness Equipment Breakout, which I love for its comfort, toughness, and its seemingly endless volume. My gear has shifted a lot over the years, and now my tents weigh about 700-1000g, quilt is maybe 800g, mats around 350-500g. These days I take home dehydrated meals and eat them out of the bag they're in.

I want to be able to do multi-day walks with this pack, in Tassie. Originally I was thinking I'll just get the Canopy at 50L. Then I saw the Extrovert at 55L weighs less with a bit less tough canvas on the front. When I tried it on today it felt great but you know, it seemed a bit small (but isn't that what I'm after?). The Tussock at 60L is 200g heavier. Would I wish that I had that sort of capacity later on?

I'm sure heaps of you have been through this. How did you decide what to do? I know it's a silly problem to have. And yeah I did do a quick search on the forum but most of the threads were old and didn't seem to ideally suit this context, and I'm not aiming for super ultralight so it didn't really suit those threads either.

Thanks
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pack size these days

Postby TheCavesWalk » Mon 28 Nov, 2022 10:03 pm

I had the Osprey Exos 58 and I thought it was too big. Then I tried the Exos 38 and it's a bit small?

Maybe a 48 litre pack for lightweight walking for anything from overnight to a week?
TheCavesWalk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby headwerkn » Mon 28 Nov, 2022 10:38 pm

My $0.02 would be to get a pack with a roll-top closure. That way your pack can shrink and expand (within reason obviously) to suit your requirements for each trip.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 29 Nov, 2022 6:20 am

Within reason, a bigger pack is better. It's easier to put gear in a bigger pack, and squeezing gear in a smaller pack in bad weather is not a good idea. My pack has a simple design with two pockets, under and on top of the lid. The lid fully covers the opening. There's nothing to catch on scrub except the compression straps.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 29 Nov, 2022 10:32 am

+1 for rolltop (really don't see much utility for pack brains these days, although I do like the new OP ones you mentioned) and, honestly, for the kit you describe a 50/55L should be more than enough for a multi-day?
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 29 Nov, 2022 10:46 am

One thing to consider is whether you will be taking non-hikers with you in future, such as kids / partners.
You are likely to find yourself carrying some of their gear so having some spare room can be handy.
ChrisJHC

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue 29 Nov, 2022 1:15 pm

This is actually a bit of a factor Chris. We already do overnighters as a family with a 4yo + 6yo. I usually have space in my Breakout for these trips, but I'm planning a 3 day trip with the 6yo (he'll be 7yo by then) and might need to carry a bit of his stuff. I still theoretically should have room for it in the 55L pack, but I'm just not sure. For some reason, it's the one I want.
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Tue 29 Nov, 2022 10:02 pm

Volume is ok if the pack itself is light. I find the cooler it is the more volume I need yet overall my kit is pretty light without trying. It's the luxuries you add them more food for longer trips. So warm weather I could probably go for days with a 40L, colder it's 60L+
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 1:55 pm

I went through a similar change over the past few years, including having bough two of the packs you are looking at. I used to use an 80 litre One Planet Strezlecki. Great pack, but heavy. I still have it and use it about once a year on trips when I have to carry gear for other people. Remember, you don't have to get rid of your old pack when you get a new one.

I initially bought a One Planet Canopy at 50 litres (actually it was the "Overshadow", which was the predecessor to the Canopy, and identical, as far as I can tell). I was able to use it on multi-day trips without too much trouble, including one 4-day trip on which I was till able to fit in a pack raft. So in theory, I could have used it on much longer trips without a pack raft.

However, I do like my home comforts and sometimes like to carry some bulky & scrummy food and drinks and I like to do winter walks, so need some extra gear and clothes. I found that the Canopy (Overshadow) was just not quite big enough sometimes. I mean, it did the job, but it was a challenge to fit everything in. And the major downside of the Overshadow (and Canopy), for me, was the lack of a proper large front pocket. The top pocket is also very small. The front pocket is just a stretchy mesh, and doesn't hold much. Don't put your fork in there, as it just pokes through the fabric.

I decided to sell it and buy a One Planet Tussock at 60 litres. It is only 50g heavier than the Canopy, for 10 litres bigger. That's a no brainer for me, and it has a good, large front pocket, and decent sized top pocket. I love the Tussock. I haven't yet found any down sides to it yet, for my uses.

PS. Oh, yes, I did just think of one down-side of my Tussock. I bought it in bright blue because I can't stand the idea of using the bright orange high-vis colour that was the only other alternative at the time. Bumble bees seem to love bright blue. I had a similar problem with a bright blue merino T shirt I used to wear bushwalking. The bumble bees just wouldn't leave it alone.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 2:29 pm

Lol, I was on a project needing a hi vis shirt over winter and birds (wagtails) kept trying to land on me..

Hi Pete, My old WE pack was relatively cavernous for the stated volume, maybe they measure differently to most pack makers.

Still have the Overshadow but (iirc) was too big in the harness for you?
Only thought to add is that when I overloaded the OP- OS pack I used two dry bags strapped either side which the OP packs do well (heavy strapping).. though it was really uncomfortable with a heavy load. The larger models like SoB mentioned sounds a good option given the minimal weight difference.

Personally, having had the opportunity with a few different options on hand, I've also tended towards the lighter rolltop packs (Exped in our case) on the occasional walk.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed 30 Nov, 2022 3:06 pm

Yeah Nuts it was the wrong size for me from memory. I've kept my eye out for a used one since then but haven't seen one so reckon I'll buy new. The price seems very good for an Aussie made pack I reckon
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed 14 Dec, 2022 2:00 pm

In a bit of a plot twist, I've gone and bought that ULA Catalyst that was for sale here. Despite having my heart set on the OP Extrovert, I've actually listened to the thoughts in this thread and gotten something that seems a fair bit more versatile and suitable to my needs. Thanks for all your input
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Thu 15 Dec, 2022 7:36 pm

I think that pack weight is the main issue. We never used to bother about it back in the 80/90’s, but after that I realised that a commercial pack with all of the straps etc weighed about 3kg. I started making my own, and I can make a 80-90l pack that weighs about 1.4kg. Do I need that space….sometimes, but mostly not. In winter, carrying XCD boots yes, in NZ on longer fly fishing/packrafting trips, yes, but, normally no. I use a roll top on my packs, which allows them to go a lot smaller. Could easily do sub kg packs, but like the comfort of my harness system. They’re on this forum somewhere for anyone interested in MYO.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby biggbird » Thu 29 Dec, 2022 7:16 pm

Have used our Extroverts for a 10 day trip through The Spires. Full to start, but fit everything. That's enough for us! We wanted something lighter but still somewhat scrub resistant, otherwise we would just use our Superior Wilderness Designs packs, which are great, significantly lighter and significantly hardier. Have packed 14 days of food and gear plus a shotgun into them!
biggbird

Return to Equipment