X Mid - Dan Durston

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: X Mid - Dan Durston

Postby Mark7260 » Tue 31 Jan, 2023 12:27 pm

Duskyboy,
My X-Mid 1p Solid packs down into a 2.5lt dcf stuff sack easily.
Sure it weighs more, but I won't have the condensation issues And I can simply un click the inner out and pack up inside the tent whilst its raining, then just stuff the outer in the outer pocket of my Kakwa. It's the practical use like that, that means more to me than a few hundred grams, although it's always good to save where you can. :}
Mark7260
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Kickinghorse » Thu 02 Feb, 2023 10:14 am

On another tack have just been in contact with Dan D re a question as to whether he may provide an interchangeable after market solid inner for the X-Mid 2. And yes he plans for this to happen around the end of the year. My thinking being that I’ve found the X-Mid experiences a fair amount of condensation under some conditions. Nevertheless a great tent re weight and ease of setup.
Was impressed by Dan’s same afternoon reply which would have been after hours in Canada.

Phil
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby DuskyBay » Fri 03 Feb, 2023 10:11 am

Mark7260 wrote:Duskyboy,
My X-Mid 1p Solid packs down into a 2.5lt dcf stuff sack easily.
Sure it weighs more, but I won't have the condensation issues And I can simply un click the inner out and pack up inside the tent whilst its raining, then just stuff the outer in the outer pocket of my Kakwa. It's the practical use like that, that means more to me than a few hundred grams, although it's always good to save where you can. :}

The volume figures I provided for the 1P and Pro 1P were calculated based on the published packed size dimensions (1P: 30cm x 13cm, Pro 1P: 30cm x 10cm, and assuming they were referring to a cylinder of quoted length and diameter - as you'd expect for packing inside a stuff sack). I don't own a Pro 1P so just wanted a simple way of comparing the two and I thought that volume in litres was probably more useful than physical dimensions for this purpose.

I attempted to make my comparison of the two tents objective and relatively neutral. I own a 1P and a 1P Solid and am very happy with both of them. Personally, I don't see value in purchasing a Pro 1P at a premium price for what is a fairly small weight saving. However, I'm currently not walking 50+ km a day for 6 months at a time or doing something else like that for which every gram of weight saving is important. Horses for courses.
DuskyBay
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue 07 Feb, 2023 10:29 pm

Here's my first gen XMid 2 on the tent platform at Waterfall Valley in TAS. It went up very easily with the 4 corner points lining up really well with the nails in the platform. The short side ground guy out points lined up pretty well too. The zip guy points didn't so I used a couple of cup hooks for them.

It was only my 2nd time erecting the tent, and my first night sleeping in it. I shared it with my 7yo son. It rained overnight and we were nice and dry.

I learnt a few things. Although we stayed dry and comfortable, I can certainly see benefits to adjustable poles rather than the fixed length SMD ones I used. Next time I'll use some trekking poles I got just for the purpose. I don't walk with them, but I'll take them to see what happens. Also, I need to sort out the guy out points. I'll add some proper ones to the mid points and the apexes. One of the corner ones slipped too. Maybe it was a good thing as a tension release threshold? I think I'll add some thicker guy lines to the corners anyway.

Seems like a pretty good tent! I'd be interested in a solid inner, and I'd be keen to add mid panel tie outs. It's tempting to use the toggle point for the door, but I know that'll be asking for trouble
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DuskyBay » Wed 08 Feb, 2023 8:17 am

The nice thing about pitching the X-Mid on tent platforms is that it’s often easier to get a perfectly rectangular pitch, Pete, by aligning the fly with the boards.

I’ve recently added mid-panel tie outs to my OG 1P - using some grosgrain tape as per the V2s, but I haven’t used them yet.
DuskyBay
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed 08 Feb, 2023 3:03 pm

Yeah it went up very easily.

I'm interested in hearing more about your mid panel guy points. How did you fit them? Got a pic?
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DuskyBay » Thu 09 Feb, 2023 2:01 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:I'm interested in hearing more about your mid panel guy points. How did you fit them? Got a pic?

I measured the distance from the perimeter (hem) of the fly along the seam to the top of the grosgrain tape on my 1P Solid (= 1.445m), cut some spare tape that I had to size (slightly wider than that on the Solid 1P, so theoretically will be stronger), marked the upper and lower positions of the tape on the seam, cut both rows of stitching between those positions, slid the tape in (the inner seam sealing tape helped to locate the grosgrain tap perfectly), temporarily held the outer part of the grosgrain in place with sticky tape and then my wife sewed it in place. Finally sealed all the new needle holes with seam sealer on both the inside and outside.

I don't think that I've owned a tent that I haven't made mods to, so par for the course.

DuskyBay
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu 09 Feb, 2023 2:31 pm

Great work. That's very helpful. Thanks
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Thu 09 Feb, 2023 5:24 pm

My early model 1P guys also slipped slipped a little.

The current models use a slightly thicker and less stretchy cord that resembles iron wire, but I don't think it is Iron Wire. Seems pretty well slip proof and the only reason at this stage for me to replace it would be for the increased visibility of the orange IW that I have v. the supplied black.

But then I'd have no excuse for tripping over guys. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 05 Apr, 2023 6:36 am

Pulled a trigger on a 1p pro.
My original Xmid still going strong and the one shelter that I have held on to (have bought/sold Protrail Li Hexamud Pocket Tarp, Altaplex etc in last few years)
May the pro serve me as well as its predecessor
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby stry » Thu 06 Apr, 2023 2:50 pm

You were quick off the mark MsMudd. Well done.

I applaud your honesty in being the first of us to own up to being seduced by the 1P Pro. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 06 Apr, 2023 8:27 pm

I was strong in the face of seduction initially, but caved, couldn't resist its 455g charms any longer.

The 2p was a small weight penalty for a bigger tent, so verrrry nearly went that option over the 1p, but remembered I had owned the original 2p and found it far too large for my needs,off-track pitches etc and sold it after a few trips. Decision made- 1p pro it is.

The outlay is stinging a bit, but hopefully well worth it.

I wonder what the floor material will be like though. Love the images of the packed size I have seen so far, just hope it's not a slip in slide type affair to sleep in
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 14 Apr, 2023 2:44 pm

It's arrived. Already.
I wasn't even beginning to stalk the postie. Of course it is pitched right now, am messaging from inside it.
Packed size is kinda same same as my ye olde Xmid, although my original Xmid was stuffed and pro came rolled.
Weight savings about 360grams in stuff sacks.
Attachments
20230414_142150.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnrs » Fri 14 Apr, 2023 4:07 pm

And will be waiting for a series of reviews now Ms_M!
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 14 Apr, 2023 4:25 pm

Will have to do a bit more with it, other than nap on my front lawn.

Initial impressions, is it feels very spacious due to the single wall design and near vertical end walls. I found the original Xmid inner roomy enough, so the pro feel luxuriously big in comparison. I am only 5ft 2, so have crazy amounts of extra head,foot and height space. Pics don't really illustrate it

Can't wait to start using it for real.

Edited to add: yes, hat unnecessary inside a tent, but hair needs a wash and was about go clean stables so hatted up- spared you all looking at my smatty hair and sunscreen for my chores!
Attachments
20230414_143456.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Fri 14 Apr, 2023 5:20 pm

I still have the MassDrop Xmid 1p and ordered the 1P Pro yesterday - I've enjoyed the design and the 'old' SilPoly version Gen 1 has been tested extensively and is brilliant.

Kim and I did a 6 night Nelson to Cape Nelson section on the GSSW and she also fell in love with the 'old' DD 1p and now has current ownership - so it was very unfortunate that I had to buy the DFC upgrade... well done Dan Durston.
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 14 Apr, 2023 6:36 pm

Haha, gosh, what a challenge for you to *have to* buy the pro. Such a shame....not!
Nice that you have walking company, with good taste in shelters to boot!

I will definitely keep my original Drop version,to use as a 2p without the inner and really, because I love the thing. Snow, gales,floods- she has seen me right through all sorts of conditions. I feel quite sentimental about my tent. Weird alert!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Equipment