What down fill/weight should i be looking for?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

What down fill/weight should i be looking for?

Postby heracles26 » Tue 23 Apr, 2024 3:46 pm

Looking for a new down jacket. Something to wear casually here in Aus (SA) but also something to take on local camps as well as overseas treks.
Im leaning towards the Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Hoody but not sure if this is overkill for Aus winters? I do run cold but 180g of 800 fill sounds pretty warm!

Any input about this topic in general is appreciated!
heracles26
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: What down fill/weight should i be looking for?

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 23 Apr, 2024 4:23 pm

Are you going to get serious about the white stuff or heading to high cold places like Nepal?
Personally I think the current Fitzroy is a bit on the light side and cut a bit too slim but it is nicely made and not too heavy and about right for the High Country in winter.

Others will have opinions also, but at the same pricepoint there are lots of options
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby heracles26 » Tue 23 Apr, 2024 5:56 pm

Not really in Aus, maybe Blue Mountains this winter (not sure if it snows there).
Nepal next year yes!
I think the fashion aspect is pretty important for me too, so dont want anything too technical looking.
heracles26
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 23 Apr, 2024 6:14 pm

Then stick with the cheap and semi disposable brands like Macpac and Kathmandu and around the $200- mark. I've been using my UniqloUL for well over a decade I think
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment