Pot recommendation

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Pot recommendation

Postby Empty » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 6:44 pm

I am looking for a small lightweight pot with lid that I can nest a 230 gram canister in. The pot I have at the moment is squat and wide and doesn't suit the aarn pockets all that well plus the canister has to be packed separately.

Wanting to fit the canister, kovea burner and small spoon inside. Any thoughts?
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Pot recommendation

Postby corvus » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 7:17 pm

Empty wrote:I am looking for a small lightweight pot with lid that I can nest a 230 gram canister in. The pot I have at the moment is squat and wide and doesn't suit the aarn pockets all that well plus the canister has to be packed separately.

Wanting to fit the canister, kovea burner and small spoon inside. Any thoughts?

Empty,
A couple you may want to look at
Bulin BL200-C7 (219gm with stuff sack) will take a 230 canister and a Kovea Camp 3 Titan burner or a Fire- Maple FMS-116T burner you also have a bonus Mug as a lid and you can easily fit an ALOCS folding spoon and fork
Fire-Maple FMC-XKS Heat Exchanger pot (226gm with stuff sack) this takes the canister and the Kovea burner plus spoon and fork.
corvus.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 7:21 pm

Probably not, but just in case, I had a look at the 4 pices Aldi set for $25 today.
Possibly the 1.2 pot will take the 230g canister, your Kovea and spoon.
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... e-set-4pc/
At the price might be worth a look.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 7:40 pm

I fit a 230g canister, Kovea Spider stove and a chux cloth in my Primus Alutech 1L. Not a bad pot quality wise but didn't pour very well until I bent a small spout in it with my Leatherman. But perhaps I'm just fussy.

I also carry it in my Aarn Expedition balance pockets :P

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/primus ... ation=True
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Empty » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks for all the replies folks. The one from Sierra trading is the shape I had in mind and the price is pretty good too. They are sold out though. Do you think I would find this locally?
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby geoskid » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 8:31 pm

I got a little bit excited, and am pleased that I beat others to say so.
It is Sunday tho :D
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 8:52 pm

I've heard they grow some good stuff up on the Atherton Tablelands.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Mark F » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 8:56 pm

If you are just boiling water or re-hydrating food in a cozy consider the Evernew Ti pots. I use the 900ml which fits canister, caffin stove etc. Many other models to consider but I find 900ml works for me solo and when walking with my partner. Good fit with a 230g canister.

http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA265.htm or the ECA552 or ECA267 models.

I have modded mine to get the weight down to 69 grams with lid.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Swampy460 » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 9:42 pm

I went to aldi to have a look at that pot set Franco, and they dont give a weight but after walking around the shop with just the set in my hand I said you know what this is quite heavy and really large so I put it back(which was hard cause I like spending money). As I mainly walk solo its a bit to big for me. Looks ok though.

Swampy
Swampy460
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby corvus » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 12:20 am

Mark F wrote:If you are just boiling water or re-hydrating food in a cozy consider the Evernew Ti pots. I use the 900ml which fits canister, caffin stove etc. Many other models to consider but I find 900ml works for me solo and when walking with my partner. Good fit with a 230g canister.

I would be cautious about Evernew pots my Pot800 light as 115gm has developed a bow in the base , will take all of your requirements however I believe as said only good for boiling water .
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Picaro » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 5:08 am

I've been using this Optimus pot with heat exchanger for some time. It takes a canister, a fire maple 117T, fire starter and spoon.
The heat exchanger adds about 50gm to it, but it really is fast to boil.
http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/optimus ... /opt-00038
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 7:01 am

I'm not sure how big your stove is but I've been using an aluminium snow peak trek 900 which holds the canister, chux/scourer & lighter with room to spare. My stove is not the smallest so it doesn't fit unfortunately, but yours might?

http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpa ... s-008.html
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM

Postby stry » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 7:59 am

Mark F wrote:If you are just boiling water or re-hydrating food in a cozy consider the Evernew Ti pots. I use the 900ml which fits canister, caffin stove etc. Many other models to consider but I find 900ml works for me solo and when walking with my partner. Good fit with a 230g canister.

Agree. MSR Titan kettle does the same thing but is a few grams heavy and a little more substantial. Anything smaller than either of the Titan or the Evernew 900 is too fiddly for me.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 8:32 am

I think the 850ml MLD/ESBIT pot also fits a gas can in it.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Empty » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 8:52 am

Cheers Fellas

Both the snowpeak and the Optimus look good as well as the Primus listed by Strider. I have also seen this one on the net but not in the flesh http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/stor ... ml/dp/8467. It is a bit exy though.

By the way my stove is a Kovea Superlight Titanium. Very small.
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 9:44 am

Empty wrote:Cheers Fellas

Both the snowpeak and the Optimus look good as well as the Primus listed by Strider. I have also seen this one on the net but not in the flesh http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/stor ... ml/dp/8467. It is a bit exy though.

Careful with the supalights, they have a known method of failure: viewtopic.php?p=197772#p197772

When you notice it start failing get a new one and don't wait for it to get worse.

I'd suggest the 850ml esbit pot with a alfoil lid and a reflectix cosy. It'll save plenty of weight and gas and the food will still be warm at the end of the meal.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 9:57 am

Re: Kovea Supalight, I had this problem about two years ago. The reason: the transport provider in Tas forgot to order my gas so gave me some cheap, crap canisters (Coleman I think) which were rolling around in his van. Same symptoms as above, and it wasn't mix related because temps were 15+.

When I went back to using some leftover blue Kovea canisters (which you can't get anymore) or the green Elemental canniaters (rebranded Kovea), problem went away. Jetboil canisters were also fine.

While perhaps the pin is a fraction too short, it's just as likely that the cheap canisters don't meet the specification.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Empty » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 10:08 am

icefest wrote:
Empty wrote:Cheers Fellas

Careful with the supalights, they have a known method of failure: viewtopic.php?p=197772#p197772

When you notice it start failing get a new one and don't wait for it to get worse.

I'd suggest the 850ml esbit pot with a alfoil lid and a reflectix cosy. It'll save plenty of weight and gas and the food will still be warm at the end of the meal.

Thanks for the heads up on the Supalight. Mine is going fine and it is hard to condemn it while it is still okay. I also only use Elemental cannisters. BUT if it does fail what do I replace it with?

Back on the subject of pots I am wondering if all titanium pots are prone to warping? Beginning to sound that way.
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 10:14 am

It's only my opinion but better a pot a little too big than one marginally small
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 10:20 am

Empty wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the Supalight. Mine is going fine and it is hard to condemn it while it is still okay. I also only use Elemental cannisters. BUT if it does fail what do I replace it with?

I for one really like the FMS 300-T ( http://www.fire-maple.com/en/productsinfo.aspx?pid=2)
About 50$ delivered off ebay.
Currently the lightest on the market and has been tested for carbon monoxide release where it had incredibly good results (way low).
Empty wrote:Back on the subject of pots I am wondering if all titanium pots are prone to warping? Beginning to sound that way.

I think they are, but then, aluminium warps with age too.
Most warped pots will work just as well, you might just need to pop them back to make them balance better.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pulseevents » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 6:43 pm

I have been using the 2nd biggest pot in the aldi set for a couple of years now. it fits a 230g can and my katmandu titanium stove, sponge, lighter and spork inside. it is 155mm wide and 90m deep and weighs 240gr
Just keep putting one in front if the other.

Cmoreoz.blogspot.com
pulseevents
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby icefest » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 7:13 pm

pulseevents wrote:I have been using the 2nd biggest pot in the aldi set for a couple of years now. it fits a 230g can and my katmandu titanium stove, sponge, lighter and spork inside. it is 155mm wide and 90m deep and weighs 240gr

Do you have the weight of the smallest one?
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 8:15 pm

As to warping Ti, I have the classic 550ml with lid (branded Tibetan) an old Tatonka Combi Set "M" and a MSR Seagull Brand 1lt kettle none of which has warped on the base ,only the Evernew Pot 800 .
Tend to favor Adonised Aluminium now if I want to "cook" anything other than boil water except my 550ml TI which is my "kettle" for hot drinks.
corvus
Last edited by corvus on Tue 15 Apr, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Nuts » Tue 15 Apr, 2014 10:59 am

Pretty impressed with the MSR cookset titanium pots (exo?). They have a ridge in the bottom that probably helps as none have warped or bowed(from 1-4L pots).

They feel ridiculously flimsy but the titanium ones are pretty much 'as new' and have been used for many weeks/months.
Bit of an art to 'cooking' sauces etc but it is possible without burning. Especially in larger pots. I'm not sure how well they would fit aarn pockets as the 1L is a bit wider than a 230g canister.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pulseevents » Wed 16 Apr, 2014 7:49 pm

icefest wrote:
pulseevents wrote:I have been using the 2nd biggest pot in the aldi set for a couple of years now. it fits a 230g can and my katmandu titanium stove, sponge, lighter and spork inside. it is 155mm wide and 90m deep and weighs 240gr

Do you have the weight of the smallest one?

sorry I should have been a bit clearer. the aldi 4 pce set is a fry pan, a kettle and two pots with lids. I use the smaller one of the two. Btw Aldi have these back in stock at the moment for $25
Just keep putting one in front if the other.

Cmoreoz.blogspot.com
pulseevents
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dancier » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 6:54 am

I was on the site below and noticed that the Snow Peak 700ml pot had a gas bottle inside it but after some trawling, I eventually ended up at Minibull design, and he has a few cheap options.
http://www.laughingdog.com/2014/04/back ... y-v30.html

At Minibull he has the 12cm Imusa cup and lid for $19.

Cup
https://www.minibulldesign.com/productc ... category=4

Lid
https://www.minibulldesign.com/productc ... ategory=10
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kott » Fri 17 Nov, 2023 7:59 pm

Resurrecting this post because I'm on the market for a new pot. My current pot that is solo 900ml pot is just a tad too small.

I'd like a pot that can fit 230g canister and my soto windmaster stove with legs.

Does something like this exist?
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 18 Nov, 2023 7:04 am

What pot are you currently using?
I sold off most of my own Titanium pots and I am still using the cheap Aldi anodised aluminium stuff, although perhaps I made a mistake selling the 1100ml TOAKS
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby matagi » Sat 18 Nov, 2023 9:10 am

Macpac titanium pot. I think its 900ml.

Edit: A quick look at the MacPac website suggests it no longer exists. :(

IMG_6469.jpg
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby openspace » Sat 18 Nov, 2023 1:17 pm

I'm using the Furno 360 Stove Pot Set.

Packed Open with Lighter.jpg

It fits the 230g canister with a collapsible cup in the concave section, Camping Moon XD-2F stove (which is similar to the soto windmaster stove with its detachable legs) and a coffee sachet. Even though the XD-2F has piezo ignition, I could also fit in a bic lighter for back up.

If you want to use an alcohol stove, the same pot fits a Trangia, a small square home-made base wrapped in aluminium tape to sit the stove on, small bottle with metho as well as the lighter and coffee within a circular titanium pot stand (bought from Aliexpress).

Aliexpress has similar pot sets that I've found slightly larger so that might be a more economical choice.

It just depends on what you want to fit inside those 2 pots apart from the canister and whether there's a need to comprimise.
openspace
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Next

Return to Equipment