My Cookset

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

My Cookset

Postby kahtadin » Fri 29 May, 2009 2:31 am

Basically a modified Caldera Keg setup that I use in conjunction with cozies for freezer bag cooking, although you don't have to.
The parts:
Caldera Cone that accepts Fosters 750ml can (I never could find these in Tassie)
Fosters 750ml can with bottom removed (top left unopened)
Foil lid
Foil to put under stove on combustible surface/spare lid material/whatever (not suitable as TP !)
Neoprene band (from old neoprene sock) added to top of can for added rigidity and to facilitate picking up while hot
Silicone band added to top of can so you can drink out of it (not necessary if you don't)
Integral Designs Metho Pepsi Can Stove and Red Bull Metho Stove backup
Ti tent stake that can be inserted through cone to suspend can at optimum height above ID stove (can sits on RB stove)
30ml squeeze bottle filled with metho emergency fuel/antiseptic/leech remover
30ml medicine cup fuel/metho jello shot/food portion measurer (wear in eye like monocle to scare away people camping "too close")
Mylared bubble wrap cozys, top & bottom
Ti spoon (if you use a "spork",don't read further, loser)
Matches
Stuff sack
Total weight w/30ml metho: 240g
15-20mls metho will boil 500ml water

kahtadin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: My Cookset

Postby Darren » Fri 29 May, 2009 6:07 am

G'Day
What was you fuel use per day
Thanks
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kahtadin » Fri 29 May, 2009 6:20 am

Good question, I never kept track of the use exactly, but it would've averaged less than 50ml per day, maybe a little more in my hot chocolate phase.
kahtadin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tony » Fri 29 May, 2009 8:01 am

Hi Hahadin,

Integral Designs Metho Pepsi Can Stove and Red Bull Metho Stove backup

Interesting setup, why do you carry a spare stove, the pepsi can stoves are usually quite robust.

Caldera Cone that accepts Fosters 750ml can (I never could find these in Tassie)

Fosters is not usually drunk here in Australia, it is our joke on the rest of the world. Ever since I read about Foster 750 ml cans on some US forums I have looked for them here in OZ, my local grog shops have never heard of them (we used to have 750ml steel Fosters cans a long time ago).

This is from the Foster site

"Sold in over 150 countries, Foster's is the number one selling beer in London (a position it has held for more than 10 years); the seventh highest selling brand in Western Europe and the only non-European beer brand in the top 15; and the eighth largest imported beer brand in the very competitive United States market. Foster's is ranked as the most recognisable beer across Asia and fifth most recognisable brand across all product categories. Foster's has won gold medals three times at the prestigious bi-annual International Brewing Industry Awards, with a fourth medal awarded in 2002."

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 29 May, 2009 8:57 am

kahtadin wrote:Fosters 750ml can (I never could find these in Tassie)

That's because people in Tassie (and even those in the north island) prefer to drink beer that actually tastes good. ;-)

Seriously, Australians don't drink fosters.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby kahtadin » Fri 29 May, 2009 9:27 am

I know, I assumed it was an Australian brewed for export product. Please stop that. Just send the 750ml cans.

I'm kinda picky about brews myself, always have been.

kahtadin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 29 May, 2009 9:35 am

Yeah, there's a lot of good beer in Tasmania, but I still brew my own, when I get around to it.

My wife asked our 2 year old the other day what she wants to do when she grows up, and the 2 year old said, "I'm going to make beer and measure it with a hydrometer". I guess it does look like fun...
Attachments
Brewing.jpg
Brewing.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby kahtadin » Fri 29 May, 2009 9:52 am

[/quote]Interesting setup, why do you carry a spare stove, the pepsi can stoves are usually quite robust.[/quote]

Just a peace of mind thing. Accidents happen, and it costs me nothing to bring it.
kahtadin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Fri 29 May, 2009 8:08 pm

beautiful woods behind your place. I love the Aussie bush, but I do miss the american woodlands.
the_camera_poser

Return to Equipment