pack hoodie- seen or used one of these?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

pack hoodie- seen or used one of these?

Postby the_camera_poser » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 6:41 pm

Hey- I like the look of this. I've got a built in raincover for my big camera pack, which otherwise leaks like a sieve, and the back still leaks in a good downpour from water entering through the back, where the pack doesn't cover. This would cure that. It looks like it'd be good on a rucksack too.

http://www.moontrail.com/or-pack-hoody.php
the_camera_poser

Re: pack hoodie- seen or used one of these?

Postby johnw » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 8:05 pm

Have if you also considered these? Only issue is that they can blow up over your head in strong winds unless secured.

Tarp Poncho.jpg
STS Tarp Poncho Lake Adelaide
Tarp Poncho.jpg (83.88 KiB) Viewed 7182 times

We found that they were useful for extra shelter/storage/drying wet gear at Lake Meston camp on WOJ trip.

Meston Campsite.jpg
Tarp Ponchos Lake Meston Campsite
Meston Campsite.jpg (79.38 KiB) Viewed 7182 times
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby the_camera_poser » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:29 pm

LOL- you look like hte Hunchback of Notre Dame with that thing on! The Bells! The Bells!

That's exactly what I used to use in the US- I had an awesome ex-army one- super heavy duty, brass grommets in it, and it doubled as a tent. 1st raite. But I'd be worried about skimpier ones getting tattered in the scrub. I liked the pack hoodie because it didn't hand loose. But if I could find one of those ex-military jobs, I'd grab it. Heavy, but soooo useful.

How do they stand up to the scrub?
the_camera_poser

Postby the_camera_poser » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:42 pm

I wonder how much tougher the ultrasil is than the nylon?
the_camera_poser

Postby johnw » Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:47 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:LOL- you look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame with that thing on! The Bells! The Bells!

Yeah, I've thought that myself TCP. I was actually the photographer, with number two son in the pic rather than me (I'd like to be 23 again though :) ).
Actually a lady stopped us as we passed Dixons Kingdom hut and made the same obervation, then asked if she could take our photo and where she could get one. Maybe they're becoming a fashion item :lol:.

the_camera_poser wrote:That's exactly what I used to use in the US- I had an awesome ex-army one- super heavy duty, brass grommets in it, and it doubled as a tent. 1st raite. But I'd be worried about skimpier ones getting tattered in the scrub. I liked the pack hoodie because it didn't hand loose. But if I could find one of those ex-military jobs, I'd grab it. Heavy, but soooo useful.

Maybe disposals stores etc?

the_camera_poser wrote:How do they stand up to the scrub?

The ones we have are just the standard nylon ones but seem strong enough. We only encountered real scrub once while using them, when we inadvertently walked from L. Meston to L. Myrtle off-track via halfway up Mt Rogoona. We ended up taking them off, not because of strength issues, but they kept getting in the way or caught on branches etc. No visible damage. Otherwise just pushing through the usual stuff encroaching on tracks they seem to handle quite well.

Probably not in the same league as the ex-army ones but not as heavy either. When set up as tarps as shown in the pic we had gale force winds the night before and that's the condition we found them next morning. I was astonished that they hadn't blown away. And I only secured them to the ground using short pieces of sticks I found lying aound, as we didn't have any spare pegs for them. They have quite a lot of reinforced eyelets.

the_camera_poser wrote:I wonder how much tougher the ultrasil is than the nylon?

I can't really comment on the silnylon ones. I know they're about twice the price, which is why I went for these instead, but silnylon is less weight of course. I have a small drybag made from it which I've used (and abused) for several years and it's quite robust. I think it's stronger than it looks.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 9:41 am

I might add a pair of those nylon ones to the shopping list. I really like their usefulness as an emergency shelter too- way faster and more flexible than a tent. The ex-army ones are very heavy and bulky. Thanks for the feedback!
the_camera_poser

Postby tas-man » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:43 am

Here's another page from my 1970 Paddy Pallin catalogue which give all the options for their "Cape Groundsheets" - what's new :?

1970 PP Catalogue P4.jpg

. . . . and here are some photos of some in use circa 1978 on Mt Esse in Papua New Guinea.

Garaina2Tapini_0.jpg

Garaina2Tapini_2.jpg
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 1:27 pm

Aha! Hunchbacks in PNG too! I wonder if they spread from there to Tassie?

On a serious note- I guess if they'll stand up for PNG, they'll stand up to most anything.
the_camera_poser

Postby tas-man » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 2:06 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:Aha! Hunchbacks in PNG too! I wonder if they spread from there to Tassie?

On a serious note- I guess if they'll stand up for PNG, they'll stand up to most anything.

The rain in PNG generally just buckets down every afternoon, with no wind, and the walks are mostly on well cleared benched mission tracks or native foot tracks (that take no regard for contours!) so there was little scrub bashing as we know it in Tassie. The photos above were on an overgrown track that was cut to take the first herd of cattle across the Owen Stanley Range in the 1930's, I vaguely recall, so not too stressful on the capes.
Last edited by tas-man on Sat 27 Jun, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 2:16 pm

Long time ago, when I was in cadets in Melbourne, we got issued ponchos to go to Puckapunyal. All sorts of training ensued to make sure we knew how to wear them and make a shelter from them. I've re-used that memory because I have no recollection of them other than that although I'm sure we used them. I do remember carting an A-510 set all over the joint, broke a few aerials too...

I think we also had some 25 sets, but I didn't get to carry one of those. I'm amazed at the amount of information on the A510 on that site...

Toy soldiers was fun if you had a bit of an outdoor bent.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Darren » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 8:32 pm

G'Day
I use a gatewood cape sometimes for rain protection and shelter. I would hate to wear it when climbing as you cant see your feet. Also it would be no good ain tough scrub as its is too flappy. Its a top shelter though
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stewartp » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 9:32 pm

I picked up a rip-stop poncho here for $30 a little while ago. Poor photo unfortunately.
http://www.cadetshop.com.au/shop/produc ... 543&sCat=0

Apparently the German rubber backed PVC ponchos are the go for car camping etc, but are very heavy/bulky and not much good for carrying about.
stewartp
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 01 Jul, 2009 10:15 pm

stewartp wrote:I picked up a rip-stop poncho here for $30 a little while ago. Poor photo unfortunately.
http://www.cadetshop.com.au/shop/produc ... 543&sCat=0

Apparently the German rubber backed PVC ponchos are the go for car camping etc, but are very heavy/bulky and not much good for carrying about.

Stewart- is the one you got heavy? That's a pretty good price.
the_camera_poser

Postby stewartp » Thu 02 Jul, 2009 6:54 am

the_camera_poser wrote:is the one you got heavy? That's a pretty good price.

No, not heavy at all. I dont have it with me at the moment but I'll dig it out this evening.
I bought a couple of other things from the cadetshop and postage was $7.95. Good prompt service.
stewartp
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 02 Jul, 2009 5:58 pm

that might be a winner! Cool!!!!
the_camera_poser

Postby stewartp » Thu 02 Jul, 2009 7:21 pm

Ok... I have it here...

I'm 6'2"/188cm. It comes to just below my knees. Over my half full pack it covers my backside but I didnt mess about trying to get the best fit or arrangement. The 'arms' come to just below my elbows, maybe a third of my forearm covered. 2 press studs in each side. 4 eyelets (one in each corner). Draw string hood - but I note it doesnt have a peak like the one in the top photo. I've just quickly and carelessly rolled it up and its about the same size as a pair of explorer socks. Weightwise... I'll guess 200 grams as its slightly heavier than the 200gm tub of snoseal sitting here, and I used some of that yesterday - but there is no science in that measurement :)
stewartp
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 02 Jul, 2009 7:30 pm

outstanding- thanks!
the_camera_poser

Return to Equipment