Exped Sirius II extreme - ON SALE

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Exped Sirius II extreme - ON SALE

Postby bigtfuzzywarbler » Thu 02 Jul, 2009 10:50 am

NZ seller has the Exped Sirius II extreme on sale until Sunday.

Have a look at the local prices here in Australia and "do the math".

"Cheap" and "bargain" are possibly understatements.

http://www.bivouac.co.nz/Bivouac/Tents/ ... _Tent.html

Worth getting one to have in the cupboard, just in case...for a rainy day.

Don't say you weren't told.

Tim
bigtfuzzywarbler
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Exped Sirius II extreme - ON SALE

Postby rabbit » Thu 02 Jul, 2009 11:13 am

I have just bought one on that website for the sale price.
But I have to wait a while till my birthday to get it!!!

Ryan
rabbit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby adventurescape » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up bigfuzzywarbler!! Bargain is an understatement.
I have set it up and seam sealed it.
I am even happier with it now that I have managed to fit it into my 2nd Arrow compressible tent bag and I can pack as usual for same weight and a tent I actually fit in lengthwise and can sit up in comfortably :D It looks like it will be better condensation-wise too. It seems like a very similar setup to the Hilleberg tunnel tents??? The exped supplied stuffbag is woeful. I hope this is the only negative with what seems a well thought out tent! Time will tell and I cant wait to test it out there.

Cheers
adventurescape
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 2:06 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Wed 29 Dec, 2010 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 2:15 pm

Nuts wrote:$649...is that the 'sale' price?

Agreed. Maybe we missed something. :?
My Nallo2 is 900 grams packed weight lighter than that, and costs about $200 more without being on sale.
I'd buy 900 grams less in my pack for $200 nearly every time.

OK Just done the maths and todays prices, $649 NZ is AU$524 and free delivery to Australia.
That's a great price for an all season tent though I haven't looked at the specs of it much as I'm not in the market.
The Nallo2 at todays price is about AU$765 delivered.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby luke_vic » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 2:23 pm

bigtfuzzywarbler wrote:NZ seller has the Exped Sirius II extreme on sale until Sunday.

Sale finished on 5th July :( Would have been 900grams for 300-400 AUD !
Last edited by luke_vic on Sat 18 Jul, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luke_vic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tasadam » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 2:25 pm

luke_vic wrote:Sale finished on 5th July :(

How much were they?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby adventurescape » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 2:28 pm

I got it to my door for $355 AUD. I think that is the about average USD online price. :D
I think it may be one of my best ever impulse purchases
adventurescape
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 2:29 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Wed 29 Dec, 2010 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby luke_vic » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 2:45 pm

Nuts wrote:The jury is still out on Exped after sales service however...

I"ve read about some of the problems with the down mats, but I've had good dealings with Exped for the Sirius II that I own:
The problem with this tent (and all Extreme series Exped tents) is that it some of their marketing claims that the seams are "waterproof." A few months ago in the Snowy Mtns I found out that this was not so! I sent the fly outer back to Exped and explained that the tent does not function as stated in it's marketing speel. They admitted that they cannot guarantee the seams for waterproofness on any of the Extreme series tents, and i think they have now removed the waterproof seam claim from their catalog. They sent me a new fly (just in case there was an issue with it) and some silnet the seam seal the fly. Ideally they should supply all extreme series tents with Silnet (like Macpac does with it's silicone flies) and alert the customer this needs doing. However I'm happy with how this problem was handled, it just wasn't clear that silnet was required like on macpac and many other tents.
Last edited by luke_vic on Mon 08 Nov, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
luke_vic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby adventurescape » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 2:49 pm

I haven't figured out how to quote previous posts. My main comparison between the exped and hilleberg was the ventilation setup. Most comments I have heard from people on this forum and in other reviews is that condensation is never an issue in the hilleberg tunnel tents.
The tent I have been using is a WE 2nd Arrow and I have always found condensation to be a problem, especially with two people in such a small tent. There must be a tent inner volume to inner surface area equation that could be applied to condensation and an ideal compromise between size, warmth and adaptability to deal with cold, still nights. I don't think the 2nd Arrow vents high enough and it is incredibly small.
I think someone here mentioned origami in a phone box with a poster??? That is a perfect desrciption of gangly 6'2" me getting clothes on or off in the thing. I'd hate to be tent bound in a party of two and have that as my only shelter! But I got it for FREE, so cant complain :D
adventurescape
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rabbit » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 4:38 pm

I got mine for $352 delivered to my door.

Ryan
rabbit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bivouac Gary » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi all
I have regularly followed this very active and interesting forum for a year or so now but having a commercial interest in outdoor gear I stay away from commenting in forums as a rule. In this case may have something to contribute as it is specific to product we supplied.

With the issue of double siliconised tents agree Silnet is a good idea. Had lots of discussion with Exped over the seams but after years of similar discussions selling Macpac tents with a similar fabric we were confident it performed well. Over the years with these and Macpac tents found some people never bothered with Silnet and had no issues whereas others found they had leak points on first use which needed Silnet. In our stores Silnet is regularly given away with sales of a tent where any concern exists but at this point we have not prepackaged it with the tent so web sales tend to miss out.
Not quite sure what specifically the comment “Beware the old style insulated mats Bivouac is selling…” referred to. Assume it must be to do with changes in Exped mats...

Prior to 2009 Exped mats used the standard form of PU coating on the inside of their mats as used by most mat manufacturers. The major issue with it is hydrolysis – over time the moisture trapped inside can cause the laminate to breakdown and air bleeds through the fabric in a general way rather than in a simple leak. This is a known problem in most brands of inflatable and self inflating mats but seems a little more common in the fatter mats – maybe due to the volume of air inside and therefore more moisture.

This year (the wide valve style of downmats) Exped are using a more expensive film that they think is impervious to this effect. I have never had an issue with hydrolysis (perspnally that is - our warranty guy has replaced some for this reason) and would not be concerned about buying an older style mat as it is an identifiable fault and covered by warranty which we stand behind if we sold the mat. If it was a defect issue we would not sell them at all – even at the cheaper price. In this case Exped have just found a better process and has moved to improve their product.

Happy to answer any questions on either of those topics but may be a bit slow – flying to the USA in the morning to attend Outdoor Retailer show. 4 days of the latest and greatest new gear in the world on display in the Utah sunshine and being paid for it. A dirty job but someone has to do it.
Employee of Bivouac Outdoor in NZ
Bivouac Gary
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New Zealand

Postby luke_vic » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Gary,

Great to hear from someone from the Bivouac Team. As I mentioned in my post earlier today, I've been very impressed with Bivouac and Exped after sales service, so I think fellow hikers can buy with confidence!

Cheers
Luke
luke_vic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 6:56 pm

Thanks for the informative reply Gary. It's great to have sources from the industry providing some answers here and there.

Sounds like the job comes with some worthwhile perks! :-D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 7:34 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Wed 29 Dec, 2010 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 8:22 pm

Contents removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bivouac Gary » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 8:41 pm

Nuts - Warranties are always a key part of any business but with the best will in the world things do go wrong and dealing at this end of the world does sometimes put some communciation gap between us and the manufacturer. Cannot comment on any warranty support apart from ones we have dealt with but can say in the 3 years we have dealt with Exped mats have not seen systemic failures to anything like the degree you have experienced, This could be a batch issue or something in the conditions they were used in causing a higher than average failure rate I suppose but will ask the Exped team when I see them next week - they are a small company so I am sure will be well aware of your case,

I can say the incidents we have seen of this happening in NZ have been tested and the issue identified by our warranties guy and then replaced locally. Exped have supported that decision and have had no problems with their support to us. Would have confidence that you will have a positive outcome whether dealing with an Auz retailer or Exped themselves and will watch with interest to see how it develops.

Brett - in the last 3 years have seen 4 different models with changes in the system for inflation - each iteration has improved the positive valve action and connection of the pumpsack. Latest models have no pumpsack (built in pump) and use wide flexi valves. Have an older model like yours and like you have learnt to work with potential pumpsack pop offs and valves not closed but appreciate the continual improvements they have put into the range. Replacement pumpsacks are likely still available - perhaps through the retailer you bought from - but would grab one soon as long term they may disappear with models not needing them any more.
Employee of Bivouac Outdoor in NZ
Bivouac Gary
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Nuts » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 9:00 pm

Last edited by Nuts on Wed 29 Dec, 2010 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 9:46 pm

I am on my second Downmat. First one down started coming out the valves. Was replaced no questions asked.
The second is ok but I have alot of hassles pumping it up. I didnt have any trouble pumping up with the first.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigtfuzzywarbler » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 1:09 pm

Sorry for not posting this original thread sooner as noticed that a few folks came in after the sale and missed the discounted price.

However, even at their standard price it is a great buy (assuming it is what you are after).

I got one for my sister (who I was originally researching for) and one for myself (and with a loft, I love a loft in a tent).

I put mine up over the weekend and am impressed with the quality. I don't know a lot about tents, but could tell it was well built, with some well thought out features.

Also, Bivuoac was great to deal with. I had some questions pre and post purchase and the service was spot on.

Tim
bigtfuzzywarbler
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment