Check out this new tarp tent....

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Check out this new tarp tent....

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 4:00 pm

http://www.tarptent.com/productsheets/HOGBACK.pdf

And I just bought a 3-season, 3 person tent. I'd be tempted to buy this one anyhow. What do you all think?
the_camera_poser

Re: Check out this new tarp tent....

Postby rabbit » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 4:22 pm

It looks a bit like a massive version of a Hilleberg Akto

Ryan
rabbit
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Ent » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 4:23 pm

Contents removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 4:42 pm

I know what you mean Brett, but hikers with families in tow don't camp on the sides of mountains. I've never actually seen a tarptent in the flesh (silnylon?), but I avoided getting one for a primary tent due to possible problems with the strength of the set up and condensation. The Coleman Exponent I got is built like a brick thunderbox, and will stand up to 3 seasons. BUT, for Summer use only, the tarptent is pretty tempting. 90% of our hiking is in Summer.
the_camera_poser

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 4:51 pm

An interesting anecdote from Tarptent's site:

"Dear Henry,

I bought a Rainbow Tarptent last November and actually used it for the first time on December 1st. Four of us went up a trail near Snoqualmie Pass, Wa. expecting 3" of snow overnight. What we got was actually closer to 5'! The Tarptent withstood the load! This adventure turned into a 4 day rescue ordeal and we were in a pickle to put it mildly. Everything we had was wet, all of our clothes, our bags, tents etc., we were cold, I got frostbite and eventually lost a toe. The four of us survived in one 2-man tent while the Tarptent held all of our gear snug and secure. When we finally got rescued, my gear, along with the Tarptent was cached on the mountain. I considered this gear to be lost and a litter recovery mission at best. Yesterday, 9 months later, my gear was recovered and the Tarptent had withstood this test of time on the mountain with no damage whatsoever. It was actually slept in for the second time last night and it is as new. There is a slight mildew odor in the stuff sack from being packed wet for so long along with wet dirty clothes but was not noticeable when pitched. This was money well spent. Thank you for making such a great product.

Chris Van Over
Marblemount, WA "

That's a trip I'm glad I missed....
the_camera_poser

Postby Ent » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 5:27 pm

Contents removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 8:56 pm

Well since I got a mention...
There is one unfortunate aspect about the Hogback, and that is the similarity to the Scarp. However as noted above it is definitely a 3 season tent. As you provably have seen at the TT site many have pushed the boundaries with several TT 3 season shelters but you need a lot of practice, skill and some good luck.
When he first announced the shelter many asked about a "winter" conversion (like with the Scarp, extra poles and fabric inner) but it is not practical with such a large spread. (it really does fit 4 mats and has some foot room as well)
Henry designed that for himself to have is family under one roof on one of his extended outings and to avoid the embarrassment of using someone else tent (...)
The snow you see on the pic at his site was because it was snowing in his backyard when he took the shots...
He has had a lot more than that on top but not recommended for that. ( I have pictures of it taken during the Scarp testing)
On the plus side, lots of head room (that minimises condensation) , quick set up (those new corners are strong and sit nicely) the full mesh inner is not going to be as warm as a fabric version but because it is very fine still creates a bit of a buffer (dead air space) that also minimises condensation. As a bonus it is a dry set up (inner and outer together) Note "boots only" vestibule, but room for gear inside.
I would definitely suggest to install the optional pole guylines as standard.
The reflective guyline he sells is strong , light and cheap.The long Easton pegs are also relatively cheap ((6 are supplied) but I prefer to have some Y pegs as well with me.
The tyvek groundsheet is also pretty cheap and surprisingly light. You need to wash it a few times to get it soft. ( I don't use any but could be good on soggy ground)

Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:07 pm

I'd never dream of using that during winter, unless maybe it was in a warm spot of Tasmania (ha ha ha).

But, for summer hiking, that might be the go. At least as an alternative to my 3.8 kg tent. Especially for the Overland Track, where huts can be accessed if absolutely necessary.

Thanks Franco, I was going to PM you, but you weighed in anyhow.

Cheers!
the_camera_poser

Postby alliecat » Wed 22 Jul, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi TCP,

I like the tarptents, but for more than 2 people, one of the "teepee" or "pyramid" style tents might be better - lots of floor space for the weight, and can be pretty good with wind and rain.

Here's a few to check out:
black diamond megalight and megabug inner
MLD supermid
Golite shangri-la and inner

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 22 Jul, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks Alliecat- I'll look more into them.
the_camera_poser

Return to Equipment