One Planet "Cocoon" sleeping bags?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: One Planet "Cocoon" sleeping bags?

Postby stry » Tue 13 Apr, 2021 7:39 am

Like most OP product, the cocoon has evolved over the years.

Current production appears to be different from the one that I had 8/10 years ago. If you are comparing feedback and vintages, I would expect current to be an improvement.

(Oops - I see that I have posted in this thread a few years ago. No matter :lol: )
Last edited by stry on Tue 13 Apr, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby johnrs » Tue 13 Apr, 2021 11:59 am

These look good to me Moondog.
And light at the pricepoint too.
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 16 Apr, 2021 12:35 pm

I pulled the trigger, found a retailer offering 16% off.
I could have used what I have, but nothing quite ticked the boxes for either practicality and weight.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 8:22 am

Being a petite person I assume you bought the small size but interested in what temperature rating you bought and whether you can wear the down jumper inside it easily if needed.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Casparvitch » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 8:58 am

Hey Moondog my partner has the -11 small and can wear an OP dumper with room to spare. I have the -8 regular and can do the same. I think you could fit quite a large jacket in there, they're designed to fit those quilts!
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 10:57 am

Moondog55 wrote:Being a petite person I assume you bought the small size but interested in what temperature rating you bought and whether you can wear the down jumper inside it easily if needed.

The small size would have been the most sensible purchase MD, however, I bought the regular size. I hope I don't regret it.

The small size was good, snug, no excess space for me to heat and obviously fractionally lighter. The regular was on sale at a retailer in NSW for 16% off with afterpay as an option.
The small OP bags are very similar in size to my Aegismax bags which fit well for me, but I feel like sometimes I make the fabric go a bit taut when I am stretched out with my feet down the bottom or my arms by my side, I lose some loft that way I think.
I got the -11C bag, which is the lower comfort limit for males, the more suitable rating for women is -4C on that bag.
I know I will experience colder temps than that a few times a year, so wanted to be able to layer if needed,which also inspired my bag size choice- it may be flawed logic though as now I obviously have more space to heat, but layering in the smaller bag felt to me like it would not work. It feels so nice to be in the bag, enough room to not be pulling the bag taut at any point.
My other reason for purchasing the regular is that I am equal shortest in my family now. Only my 11yo son is the same height as me, my daughter has shot up and has a good 8-10cm on me. I feel it should work well for me, but also be practical if other family members want to use it as well and have more resale value if I decide to part with it at anytime.

Phew. I weighed up the choices in my usual style, I hope I came out with the right choice.
I did also contemplate the Nitrous -3C with a Quest Zero Quilt as that is has been tested to get a male down to -10C, but that solution was not a good one for Winter for me as it would still only get me to around where the Cocoon would, would be heavier and more expensive also. I also did not enjoy using a quilt in anything in single digits which was probably my mat choice at the time, but in any case I use CCF for now which isn't that quilt friendly. So, the Quest would not really have any use for me as it is heavier than the good quality UL S2S bag I have to use in those sort of temps.

My existing Aeismax bags are still being used, every night. I have switched to my 5C bag now that it has gotten cooler. I did sleep in a bed on holidays the past two weeks and hated it, my back and hips were hurting and I kept waking up with numb arms again. Home last night and back on my CCF in a bag- slept for 12 glorious hours!

Long reply, regret asking me my purchased size now? hee hee

Casparvitch, that is nice that you and your partner get out together have have Op bags too, awesome. How big is she to fit a dumper jacket inside? Those jackets are chunky as.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 11:36 am

Size comparisons

Marmot -7C Womens Bag, 650 FP, weight: 1290g (blue and light blue)
Op Cocoon -11C, 800-950 FP, weight: 900g (-4C women rating) regular length (middle)
Aegismax M2 0C bag. Although rating is -5 to -8C on the tag. 800FP not verified, weight:860g (aqua/teal)
Attachments
sleeping bag 2.jpg
sleeping bag 2.jpg (51.47 KiB) Viewed 19278 times
_20190608_204729.jpg
_20190608_204729.jpg (66.61 KiB) Viewed 19278 times
sb 3 .jpg
sb 3 .jpg (75.62 KiB) Viewed 19278 times
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Casparvitch » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 5:31 pm

Look at those blue bags, very pretty! 165cm and petite. There's probably some compression on the down so not optimal. I prefer to sleep in one of those light Macpac down jackets (uber?) except on cold winter trips where I take the bulkier less comfortable to sleep in dumper. Hope you enjoy the bag!
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 5:49 pm

Put the Marmot inside the OP Cocoon and you could use it on the summit of Everest
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: One Planet

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 6:29 pm

Casparvitch wrote:Look at those blue bags, very pretty! 165cm and petite. There's probably some compression on the down so not optimal. I prefer to sleep in one of those light Macpac down jackets (uber?) except on cold winter trips where I take the bulkier less comfortable to sleep in dumper. Hope you enjoy the bag!

Oh, she is a bit taller than I am. The dumpers look super warm and cosy, great price at the moment too as they are on sale.
My colour scheme was entirely unintentional, but rather pleasing to the eye, thanks for appreciating my many hues of blue :lol:

I think I could sleep on Everest too Moondog if that Marmot was in the Cocoon- I think it would be so hot in there I could bake scones :wink:
I feel confident I could get some down pants and that lovely big down jumper I bought from you inside the Cocoon without compressing either too much, which should get me comfortable enough in the coldest weather I am likely to face here in Winter.

I really may have made an error in the sized bag I got, but fingers crossed it works out well and that bit of extra length and the 5cm increase in shoulder circumference width does not make it too hard for me to heat. I wouldn't be questioning my choice if the only choices were a regular and a large, damn One Planet making things so customisable :P
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 7:43 pm

From what you have told us, I would think that you chose the right size.

You can always wriggle down a bit to use some of the length, and if you go super cold weather nutso, boots (suitably bagged), and anything else can go inside at the end to stop them freezing. Gas canisters shouldn't freeze, but keeping them warm will make life easier.

The increased efficiency when using the greater circumference for layers will more than offset any possible issues with the extra length. I once double bagged under a tarp in the snow with two identical mummy bags, and although I was ridiculously warm/hot, I could hardly move in what little space was left for me. Just getting in was a mission. :lol:

And, as we are usually physically dwarfed by our children, the extra length opens the family use options that you mentioned. Also easier to sell if that should ever become relevant.

Enjoy :)
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 18 Apr, 2021 7:14 pm

Imagining you atop the snow flip flopping around like a fish trying to move in your bags, Stry. Pretty funny image.
Thanks, glad my logic was not flawed in getting the regular size.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Mon 05 Jul, 2021 4:57 pm

Update to say, bags are not "too" big in regular size. So happy I went that way as they are so comfy and I can lay on my side with my knees bent and feel well...cocooned...but not constricted.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 14 Oct, 2021 10:55 am

Somebody is selling a Regular size -2/-8 Coconn on Facebay for $450- id anybody is interested.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/10 ... 4496745753
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Exped » Sat 16 Oct, 2021 11:44 am

I’ve used one a couple of years back, although a slight variation (likely older model looking at that one). It was certainly well made and comfortable, but nothing like the loft, comfort and warmth of my go to WM Versatile. There is no doubt you really have to do your research when investing in a good winter type bag, you get what you pay for to an extent, but there are many up and coming outfits and often bargains on some well known ones. I spent months assessing and choosing the Versalite based on my needs, weight, durability, comfort, rating, ventilation, etc. It came down to that or PHD in the UK (cracking bags), but WM Versalite won on price.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 10 Feb, 2023 8:57 am

Bringing this back to the top with a query for you Ms Mudd.
What has the loft been like after some usage?
Maybe my white season ski touring isn't going to be over and if so I need a sleeping bag with more room in it and I am once again thinking about getting one.
There has been a small design change in the bags and they now have small loops sewn inside to take a Quest quilt inside as a booster.
I'm impressed with the Quest quilts at the sale price but still think that the bags are a possibly a little underfilled for longevity.
My Ultra is just too warm and with no zipper I'm now having trouble wriggling into it.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 28 Feb, 2023 9:49 pm

The loft is still lofty. The bag has not seen a huge amount of use though as got covid right at the start of last Winter, work was busy etc- excuses, excuses, I know!

Nearly used it this past week as am in Tassie but took my lighter OP bag instead.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 01 Mar, 2023 1:52 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:The loft is still lofty. The bag has not seen a huge amount of use though as got covid right at the start of last Winter, work was busy etc- excuses, excuses, I know!

Nearly used it this past week as am in Tassie but took my lighter OP bag instead.

If I do get one it will be with the 800+ FP down but with the maximum amount of overfill [ which is only +100grams] but not an expander wedge, they will not do an expander wedge to match the specs of the sleeping bag for some reason
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 01 Mar, 2023 4:01 pm

Sounds like you will be well toasty, Moondog.

Good thing about One Planet is their customer service is top shelf. I know if I ever need maintenance on anything or have an issue, they will do right by me.

Just stuffed my Nitrous back into my pack- that thing is still so pouffoir,totally bouffant. It has seen way more use than the Coccoon at this point
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 01 Mar, 2023 4:23 pm

PM sent
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 06 Oct, 2023 9:49 am

It's taken a long while to save up the cash but i just placed the order for my new sleeping bag, plus 150 grams of the 800+ down.
It's a fair whack of money but I have one more white season left in me and I don't want to sleep cold.
They weren't however going to guestimate a new lower limit based on the extra fill but it's such a small amount I don't think it will have much effect.
If we do win the lottery and I go to Alaska I will make that overbag for sure but I do already have that booster they were selling off cheap which adds 5 to 10 degrees so no need to wear a lot of down inside the bag.
Even with the booster fitted it will still be 500 grams lighter than my old winter bag and with more wriggle room
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Equipment