Synthetic sleeping bags

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Synthetic sleeping bags

Postby loz79 » Sun 16 Dec, 2007 8:40 am

Hi everyone,

Two things. We're hoping to hike the Overland Track in summer. My sister suffers from very bad allergies and a down sleeping bag is really not an option for her. Can anyone suggest a good synthetic sleeping bag? She's looking at the One Planet Sac 3 at the moment, it has a rating of zero degrees and complies to EN13537.

Also, I'm quite keen on taking a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight CD tent but was told by a camping store it wouldn't be strong enough for the exposed conditions of Tassie. Would you agree with this; if so, can you suggest a few other good tents? I'm not to keen on the Macpac's, they seem excessively heavy.

Any help greatly appreciated!
loz79
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Synthetic sleeping bags

Postby norts » Mon 17 Dec, 2007 7:30 am

I cant comment on Synthetic Sleeping Bags but as far as the Clipflashlight I would think it would be quiet adequate on the Overland track in Summer. All the camping platforms at the huts are fairly sheltered and if the weather turns very foul you have the hut to fall back on.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Synthetic sleeping bags

Postby Joe » Mon 17 Dec, 2007 6:26 pm

After a bit of research and a very reliable recommendation from local bushwalker I ended up getting the DMH oberon tent. Its light, multipitch and costs next to nothing. The lady who recommended it has had hers for many years and has done overland track multiple times with that exact tent. For a few extra clams and grams you can also get the Huon which is twin pole version...but the design of the oberon doesnt require it i dont think

The purists around here will turn their nose up at the DMH. It may not have the right badge...but from what I've been told and what I've seen personally its a great little tent.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Oberon Tent

Postby Natt » Tue 18 Dec, 2007 8:44 am

Hmm I bet it was a local of Devonport who recommended it :)

I have an Oberon & a Bibler. I like both but for different reasons.

The Oberon has surprised me though with its sheer survivability for its price.

There are some issues with it though.

Don't leave your pack under the vestible - take it in the tent. The tent also tends to pool water at the long thin end if placed in a bad spot - so watch where you put it.

Also it tends to shake in the wind.

But otherwise it seems rather sturdy and I have done a number of walks with it.
Natt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Oberon Tent

Postby Joe » Wed 19 Dec, 2007 12:49 pm

Natt wrote:Hmm I bet it was a local of Devonport who recommended it :)

I have an Oberon & a Bibler.

Having not used the oberon yet I cant really give impressions...but having had a good play with it in store..and heard from a few people that have used DMH tents in past I have no qualms about walking with it. Just incredible to find such a good tent under $100.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Return to Equipment