X Mid - Dan Durston

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: X Mid - Dan Durston

Postby Hiking Exped » Sun 31 Oct, 2021 6:55 am

Hi Orion,

Thanks for letting me know postage costs. Postage is very high at the moment and worse it seems to be taking forever. I’m not in a rush for any shelters, I have so much kit I should be divorced by now. Like you I have an old parachute and other military gear hanging around from 25 years ago. I’m currently working out how much I would use this and if I wait and go a little larger for more room and multi use. Like you said the 1 person is a bit tight. Got some other stuff to look at, but I’ll reach out to see if it is still composting in your cupboard in a few weeks or if you sold it.

Thanks buddy..
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Joynz » Sun 31 Oct, 2021 11:17 am

Oh, I see. My shoes didn’t arrive that fast. Sounds like your service is express.

My shoes took about 3 weeks - and I would have been happy to wait longer for even cheaper postage!
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Sun 31 Oct, 2021 2:28 pm

I didn't see a slower service offered on the UPS website.

What shipping method was used for your shoes?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Joynz » Sun 31 Oct, 2021 6:00 pm

Global Shipping Program. Might be an eBay thing. The odd thing is another pair of the same shoes being sold at the same time through another ebay seller were about $20 cheaper to post! Both from the same state from memory. Both through GPS.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Mon 01 Nov, 2021 10:31 am

That's an ebay thing. I don't believe I can get the same deal with the shipper they use. But now I'm curious and will stop by the UPS store and get a quote.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby EGM » Mon 01 Nov, 2021 3:54 pm

I recently got a quote to post a tarp tent from California to Melbourne and it was $120US I think so very expensive. That was from eBay but not using GSP.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Tue 02 Nov, 2021 10:29 am

I dropped by the UPS store and asked them what it would cost to send a small 2lb package to Australia. They quoted me something like $225 USD. That's even higher than what their website said. I stopped by the post office too (all part of my exercise loop). Their quote matched the website at $80 USD for 2lb package. Everything to Australia right now is sent Express, which is an expensive option. The cheaper, slower options aren't available right now. The tent in a box would actually be over 2lbs so probably it would be around $85 USD / $113 AUD to ship by USPS.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joynz » Tue 02 Nov, 2021 11:40 am

Ouch! Pricey.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 9:17 am

So X-Midders tell me why I shouldn't sell my Original 2019 1p XMid?

It is the tent I said I would never sell. It has served me so well and withstood more 'weather' than I could have reasonably expected of it. Yet these days it is seldom the tent I reach for, not sure why, but various other set ups seem to suit my needs a little better or in some cases perhaps as well as the XMid, but a touch lighter. When I was using it, I had taken to leaving the inner behind and taking an UL bivvy to use instead as that saved around 150g.

The XMid is currently loaned out due to lack of love from me.

I have never had sellers regret on a tent yet,with the exclusion of my Lanshan 2p (loved that thing) but would not like to get sellers regret on this one as it is not easily replaced, talk me out of, or into selling it.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Zapruda » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 9:51 am

I’m like you Ms Mudd. It’s rarely the tent I reach for but when I bring it along I’m always glad I did. Especially using just the fly on snow.

Honestly, its too good of a tent to sell for the going prices - $250 - $300. I might be inclined if people were willing to drop $500 on it but they aren’t.

I’d just hold on to it and keep it as your bad weather tent or ‘guest’ tent.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby CBee » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 3:01 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:talk me out of, or into selling it.

You can never own too many tents/bivvy...
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 25 Nov, 2021 3:34 pm

Nice one, good excuses to keep it in my collection, even if it is at someone else's house
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kott » Mon 29 Nov, 2021 2:09 pm

Ha I know exactly how you feel Ms Mudd and Zapruda.

I like XMid and yet I also dont love it. I'm just a tad tooooo tall for it...but it works great. is strong, stable and well ventilated.

If there would be an update where I could fit in without touching the ends then I'd sell it or even keep it as a backup for friends. But for now I'm keeping it
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby stry » Tue 11 Jan, 2022 1:15 pm

I'm a bit surprised that this thread hasn't whipped itself back to life over the freshly available (albeit probably briefly) X-mids, including the V2 1P that a few seemed to be pining for.

Thoughts ??
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Tue 11 Jan, 2022 4:29 pm

Didn't even know there was a v2. Here is a link for those interested: https://durstongear.com/2022-x-mid-1p
Looks like some well considered improvements.
Mountain Rocket

Region: Tasmania

Postby dandurston » Wed 12 Jan, 2022 8:10 am

We're working on improving production - it just take a long time with how backlogged everything is. The tents on sale today are ones ordered back in 2020.

We'll have another batch available Thursday, and then a few more batches available throughout the year before finally our much improved production starts in fall 2022.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Kott » Sat 15 Jan, 2022 8:47 pm

I have Xmid but as I'm 188 tall or 6'2 for those who are not familiar with metric system and the xmid is a tad short. so I got up at 2am when the first batch went on sale. I stumbled behind the computer and when I opened the page at 2.04am it was already sold out. I decided right there and then not to do this again.
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 18 Jan, 2022 6:02 pm

I was awake on night duty when the batch dropped live. I wasnt interested in getting one, as was initially keen on the Pro Version whose presale hasnt happened yet, but in the long build up to it, found another DCF shelter that suits my needs.

But yes, they went crazy fast and then my FB feed filled up with people lamenting their lack of getting one, until I unfollowed the XMid fanpage :lol:

I may be willing to part with my original version XMid 1p, haven't used it twice in 12mths, so feel it is now most likely surplus to my needs.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stry » Wed 19 Jan, 2022 7:05 am

Like you MsM, I have the earlier 1P, but I weakened and successfully entered the raffle for the new version, purely on the basis of the increased width and volume of the inner.

When that eventually arrives, my existing 1P will go, but there may be a few early versions hit the market when successful raffle entrants get their replacements.

You will also have noticed that at long last a solid inner version is on the way. Aaaargh - found out after ordering my new 1P. No problem, as a new mesh version in my hands six or so months earlier will get more use than a solid inner version arriving who knows when. Anyway, when prospective conditions suggest a solid inner, I tend to be conservative and take the 2nd Arrow.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dandurston » Mon 24 Jan, 2022 8:37 am

Kott wrote:I got up at 2am when the first batch went on sale. I stumbled behind the computer and when I opened the page at 2.04am it was already sold out. I decided right there and then not to do this again.

Sorry about that hassle and disappointment. We're not trying to make these hard to get, but we are short supply. Lead times are about 2 years, so we started ordering a lot more about 1 year ago but that improved supply won't start showing up until towards the end of 2022. We have the solid inner versions coming in July where we'll see what we can do to have them on sale at a reasonable time for Australians instead of the middle of the night. That's a bit tricky because your time zone is so different but I'll give it some thought to see what we can do. That July batch will probably sell out quickly as well, but by late 2022 I think we'll be able to keep them in stock or at least a lot easier to get.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Kott » Mon 24 Jan, 2022 2:59 pm

dandurston wrote:
Kott wrote:I got up at 2am when the first batch went on sale. I stumbled behind the computer and when I opened the page at 2.04am it was already sold out. I decided right there and then not to do this again.

Sorry about that hassle and disappointment. We're not trying to make these hard to get, but we are short supply. Lead times are about 2 years, so we started ordering a lot more about 1 year ago but that improved supply won't start showing up until towards the end of 2022. We have the solid inner versions coming in July where we'll see what we can do to have them on sale at a reasonable time for Australians instead of the middle of the night. That's a bit tricky because your time zone is so different but I'll give it some thought to see what we can do. That July batch will probably sell out quickly as well, but by late 2022 I think we'll be able to keep them in stock or at least a lot easier to get.

Ha all good. I wasn't grumpy...I knew it will be touch and go...there are more imporant things to worry about than a tent. Having manufactured and sourced things from overseas I know how tough it is and you Dan seem to be doing a good job. Thanks for checking in here too. Cheers mate.
Kott
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Wed 26 Jan, 2022 5:20 pm

A new DCF 2P version came out a couple of days ago. The weight is insane light and the updates are all very tempting. I'm a die-hard TT Protrail Li fan but a DCF 1P version could be too good to resist.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joynz » Wed 26 Jan, 2022 10:01 pm

I have an X-mid 1.

I’m interested in whether it will be possible to purchase just the solid inner in the new, larger width? Would it fit my current tent?
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby 2004bob » Mon 31 Jan, 2022 2:34 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:I may be willing to part with my original version XMid 1p, haven't used it twice in 12mths, so feel it is now most likely surplus to my needs.

Hello MsMudd, I'm a new member so can't PM you, but would be keen to take the X-mid off your hands if you do decide to sell
2004bob
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark7260 » Tue 01 Feb, 2022 5:56 pm

Joynz wrote:I have an X-mid 1.

I’m interested in whether it will be possible to purchase just the solid inner in the new, larger width? Would it fit my current tent?

Not in the foreseeable future, according to DD, on the Facebook group, solid inners only being sold as part of a whole tent.
Mark7260
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark7260 » Wed 02 Feb, 2022 7:10 pm

Just loaded to the DD website:
https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-pro-1
Mark7260
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby norts » Fri 25 Mar, 2022 11:45 am

I am using the 1P X Mid cycling the National Trail. I have been out now for about 8 weeks, part of me wants to not like the Xmid(why? Trying to work that out)
It has passed all the tests so far, it is a great one man tent, big vestibules , easy to live in, easy to set up/pack up in the rain.
Only mods I have done, longer cords on the four corners, better pegs, and changed the cords around on the inner so that the glove hooks attach to the inner, ie reverse the cords. This was so that it is easier to attach/ unattached inner and not reaching right into the corner of the fly.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby fortunegrey » Thu 31 Mar, 2022 6:32 am

dandurston wrote:

Hey Dan, are we likely to see the July batch go on sale in May / June (I think I read somewhere that they go on sale a month or so earlier)? Keen to plan around the presale as I keep missing the boat, but as the poster above said, not sure I can handle another round of disappointment on this!
fortunegrey
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dandurston » Wed 18 May, 2022 12:07 am

Sorry for the slow response. The new solid inner version will go on presale on June 7 at 10am Eastern Time. I think that is about 2am on June 8 for Australians (yeah the middle of the night unfortunately. That batch will still sell out very fast, but you can improve your odds by checking out quickly (the shopping cart on Kaviso.com does not save the item until it is paid) and either creating an account or using a payment service like Apple Pay or Google Pay that saves your address and payment info for faster checkout.

We are sorry about the frustration in getting one and working hard to increase production.We have a lot better production capacity starting in the fall, so we should have ample supply of the mesh version in Oct-Dec and then the solid version early in '23.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johnrs » Fri 17 Jun, 2022 10:22 am

Just had a look at the solid version of the XMid which is up for sale now.
Looks good, however the retailer, Kavesco, seems to want $249 to ship it it Australia!
Have I made a mistake somewhere?
John
johnrs

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment