S2S Traveller

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

S2S Traveller

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 2:07 pm

Old version Vs new model
I keep looking at these and while I am still a bit skeptical I am beginning to think they may be worthwhile for car camping. And I may be doing a lot more touring in the car from now on.
Primary use would be as blanket for She Who Feels the Cold inside the big sleeping bag which is only rated to 0C
Also thinking of a possible modification to a poncho style by adding either a small hood or a simple slit opening
I've not had a chance to handle either iteration in the flesh.
Any comments from people who have inspected and handled or purchased and used.
Secondary use would be as a temperature extender for summer walking when the UL quilt isn't enough and tertiary use would be as a cuddle blanket at home or around camp
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: S2S Traveller

Postby Petew » Thu 02 Apr, 2020 2:53 pm

Hi Moondog,

I have two of the original STS traveller sleeping bags. Good for summer and shoulder either side. Get used a lot for car camping and make a decent blanket. They are a snugish fit when zipped up though and I'm pretty std size, 5.10 and skinny...ish. also get used a lot for the kids school camps and sleepovers. Quite good on the couch too. My other sleeping bags are 10d fabric so these feel bomber in comparison.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 03 Apr, 2020 11:41 am

Would the larger of them be more or less useful in your opinion Pete?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 8:54 am

I think so, I don't think there would be significant bulk or weight penalty. I seem to remember you mentioning that you are big in the torso/chest area. My only concern for you would be that it's a little snug there.
Petew

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 07 Apr, 2020 8:14 am

I found an old version in the XL size on sale, trying to decide now whether to buy or not.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Tue 07 Apr, 2020 12:56 pm

We have used ours a lot. If you can get it on sale I'd reccomend. You could fashion some elastic straps and clips to use as an overbag.
Petew

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 07 Apr, 2020 1:18 pm

Probably will use what is left of the government gift to do so. We had to pay a plumber with most of it but that kept a tradie trading so very important to pay that bill.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 Apr, 2020 9:38 am

Has anybody ever seen one of these modified with a slit opening to use as a poncho?
With or without a hood?
I was guided towards a JacksRBetter Sniveller quilt by somebody who hasn't used a down jumper as a static layer in years
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 21 Apr, 2020 7:07 am

Still thinking about it.
If I was to buy I am wondering if the extra weight and cost of the Mk 2 version of the Traveller with the short box walls is a better value in terms of warmth for weight?
The alternative would be adding on a wind layer on an ultra light fabric on the outside making an allowance for the differential
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 17 May, 2020 12:22 pm

I bit the bullet and purchased one. But not the one I was originally thinking about and for a very selfish reason.
While my brain tells me I'm never going to Alaska in the winter my heart hopes otherwise and I got a very good buy on one of the old style Extra large TR1's.
I figure it will do a few things where a summer UL sleeping system is all I might need, but with the zip done up a third of the way and the drawstring tightened it should layer over my winter bag and inside my overquilt. It's the heavy way to do it but only by a few hundred grams. I sold something to pay for it.
Part of me thinks that S2S should offer an UL version of this using lighter and tighter shell fabric and 900FP down tho
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tino B » Mon 18 May, 2020 11:55 pm

Hey Moondog, didn’t I see your Alaska bag sell on backpacking light? You’ll have to kill some bears, elk or moose and sleep in their carcass to stay warm if you ever go in winter.
Tino B
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 19 May, 2020 8:14 am

Tino B wrote:Hey Moondog, didn’t I see your Alaska bag sell on backpacking light? You’ll have to kill some bears, elk or moose and sleep in their carcass to stay warm if you ever go in winter.

It actually sold via the now defunct WinterTrekking site.
The new owner has bought far too much sleeping bag but he says he girlfriend sleeps cold, same person bought the lavvu as well.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 29 Aug, 2020 9:00 am

I have an inkling that S2S are about to delete the current Traveller series as they are on sale at the bigger outlets and the S2S website shows as " Sold Out"
Perhaps they are bringing out a newer and updated version with lighter fabrics and higher fill power down?
In the mean time and because I have stuffed up my DIY on a survival bag for the snow I'm thinking about buying another Traveller for this purpose as even the heavier model is much lighter than the synthetic bag I just finished modifying.
I can't decide on which version to put in my cart tho; the cheaper Tr1 or the much warmer but $100- dearer Tr2. The difference being 255 grams and 10 degrees.
The lighter one would take up less room in the pack and be less likely to be left out for total weight reasons but the warmer one might make for a better summer sleeping bag.
At 755 grams it would be warmer than a similar weight synthetic blanket and take up less room; also RSBTR have sold out of the lighter weight APEX
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 28 Nov, 2020 12:22 pm

I couldn't make up my damned mind so I wound up getting both. The Tr2 is for summer bushwalking and the Tr1 XL has been on our bed as a doona booster when we get one of those cold snaps.
I think the Tr2 is a little light on fill, another 10% would stop the down shifting to the edges when I'm restless and I've always been an advocate for overfilling
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment