WE Wildchild or MONT bambino available to try?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

WE Wildchild or MONT bambino available to try?

Postby Sweep77 » Sat 30 May, 2020 9:41 pm

HI there, I was just wondering if anyone had a recent Wilderness equipment wildchild pack or MONT Bambino I could try in Melbourne? I can't find anyone who has stock of these so I would love to try one if anyone has one. I'm located in melbourne south east. If anyone has other suggestions for a baby carrier backpack I'd love to hear them. I've tried the new kathmandu one and didn't like it. Macpac don't look like they are selling the vamoose anymore either. I need one with lots of storage as well. Thule sapling looks decent but again can't try one anywhere.
Cheers
Ashley
Sweep77
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: WE Wildchild or MONT bambino available to try?

Postby nezumi » Sun 31 May, 2020 5:38 pm

I'm pretty sure that Bogong offer the Wild Child as part of their hire fleet - if you ask them I suspect that you could hire it for a test and they'll discount the purchase price if you go ahead and buy it.

I have an Osprey Poco Premium (which I unfortunately think is no longer part of their range) - https://theluggageprofessionals.com.au/ ... rrier.html

I've found this pretty good, although I've never taken it on an overnight - it did serve very well as the primary transport for an almost two year old for 3 weeks in Japan. One of my favourite features is that the arms that form the child compartment are rigid, so the area where the kiddo sits cannot compact in on itself, but they are also removable and collapsible.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Sweep77 » Sun 31 May, 2020 8:57 pm

Oh I didn't realise Bogong hire gear, I'll definitely check that out. I know the ospreys are quite popular, one thing that puts me off them a little is they look quite deep, meaning the centre of gravity would be a fair way back. Did you notice this at all?
Sweep77
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby nezumi » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 9:51 pm

Sweep77 wrote:Oh I didn't realise Bogong hire gear, I'll definitely check that out. I know the ospreys are quite popular, one thing that puts me off them a little is they look quite deep, meaning the centre of gravity would be a fair way back. Did you notice this at all?

I d'din't go on any extended hikes with the pack, so I can't comment on fully loaded weight, but it felt like a comfortable carry to me with a ~12-14kg kid + food and clothing for a day.

One of the comments made in a recent comparison review I saw of the Osprey and the Deuter Kid Comfort was that they actually had the kid bouncing against their back while descending, throwing their COG forward. This is why I prefer the solid seating area of the Osprey.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ecowain » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 3:02 pm

If you find yourself in the blue mtns, NSW, we have a wild child plus side pockets that you'd be welcome to try. Might be up for sale soon, as the littlest one gets bigger by the day...
ecowain
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Sweep77 » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi thanks for that, unfortunately won’t be up there anytime soon. Let me know when you sell it though if posting it to Melbourne is an option.
Sweep77
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby StephUeb » Thu 22 Apr, 2021 5:21 pm

ecowain wrote:If you find yourself in the blue mtns, NSW, we have a wild child plus side pockets that you'd be welcome to try. Might be up for sale soon, as the littlest one gets bigger by the day...

Hi I know this was a post from last year but is this still potentially availed to have a look and maybe buy. I’m just looking into carriers for my Son.
Looking into MacPac or deuter but just stumbled upon WE
StephUeb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Sweep77 » Tue 27 Apr, 2021 7:29 pm

Hi there, I ended up buying a WE wildchild brand new. At the time no-one had any osprey or deuter ones in stock as it was during the middle of covid. I tried the macpac one but didn't find it comfortable at all. The MONT bambino was pretty comfortable but you have to like brown.Henry from WE was awesome at answering all my questions about the wildchild. I ended up getting that one as it has a huge capacity for gear(30L plus more if you get the optional side pockets). Its build to last and is very adjustable. Most carriers have a bar to extend out to sit it down on but this just puts more weight further away from you. The child sits nice and close to you on the wildchild. Hope this helps.
Sweep77
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment