Garmin hacked. Inreach services affected

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Garmin hacked. Inreach services affected

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 25 Jul, 2020 5:57 am

It's being reported that Garmin has been hacked and it's corporate network infected with ransomware.

According to below site Inreach webservices are down including I would assume mapshare.

I'm not sure if this effects the SOS functions of Inreach or not but personally I won't be relying on Inreach for SOS until Garmin provides an update on the situation.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... re-attack/
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Garmin hacked. Inreach services affected

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 25 Jul, 2020 2:52 pm

Ahah! I used a Garmin watch to track my running and cycling and noticed I couldnt upload this mornings ride and had the 'Garmin server update blah blah message' on Garmin Connect. I hadn't even thought of the implications of it for my inreach, thanks for posting.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sat 25 Jul, 2020 2:57 pm

Apparently SOS messages will go through.

See the fourth post https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/garmin-services-down-possible-ransomware-attack/
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Zapruda » Sat 25 Jul, 2020 6:47 pm

When in doubt go straight to the source - https://status.inreach.garmin.com/

Messages and SOS are still working.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby headwerkn » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 8:54 am

explore.garmin.com and MapShare also appear OK as of Sunday 26/7/2020. My satellite tracking pings from Saturday were visible.

It appears the issue affects their Garmin Connect ecosystem. InReach is its own system, presumably still based on Delorne's original platform. Maybe Garmin dragging their heels on integrating the two wasn't such a bad thing after all? ;-)
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 10:23 am

headwerkn wrote:explore.garmin.com and MapShare also appear OK as of Sunday 26/7/2020. My satellite tracking pings from Saturday were visible.

It appears the issue affects their Garmin Connect ecosystem. InReach is its own system, presumably still based on Delorne's original platform. Maybe Garmin dragging their heels on integrating the two wasn't such a bad thing after all? ;-)

:D Ha seems the ancient delorne platform may have saved the day!
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby headwerkn » Thu 06 Aug, 2020 1:15 pm

Bit of an update to this. I experienced some substantial (4hr+) message delivery delays sending from InReach to SMS - and vice versa - last Sunday while walking Mt Tor. Contacted Garmin and they acknowledged there have been issues with their SMS gateway during the past days.

Also I've noted my satellite ping points are all over the shop for that day, according to my partner tracking through Mapshare stalled for about half the day. Given the weather was relatively fine/clear and half the course was exposed buttongrass/alpine heath, I don't think it was the satellite signal itself.
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment