Macpac new Arrowsmith query

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Macpac new Arrowsmith query

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 9:05 am

Has anybody here bought or used/tried on the newer iteration of the Macpac LW down?
While I don't really need a new down jacket I would like to lower my pack weight for next winter.
Website says it is cut as a belay parka but emails to customer service and the reply says I have to try on to see it it fits, a bit difficult when the local store has never had stock and the others are all in lockdown.
https://www.macpac.com.au/clearance/men ... rance-mens
I have tried on many Macpac insulated jackets and I find them all on the small side, most of them in fact on the very small side, even the Uber in XXXL was very tight across my shoulders never mind my new improved economy sized belly shape.
It would need to be large enough to layer over my Pisa top and the S/H Goretex I bought from Crollsurf a while ago.
As a guide my old Patagonia DAS in XL just fits the above combination
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Macpac new Arrowsmith query

Postby Lamont » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 9:49 am

They'll deliver it free. Why not try it in the confines of your home with all the gear you want underneath.
Keep the tags and return it if it doesn't work. Done it a couple of times and it's hassle free. I think it's sixty days (it's at least thirty) to return it. Jus take your debit/credit card for the refund. Got to get to Waurn Ponds to return it is the only pain in the khyber.
But there's a lot to do and see on the way.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 9:54 am

It's not free return postage for stuff bought online via the payment plan, also can't be returned in-store and as money is very tight it would need to be bought using one of the payment plans.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 9:58 am

I bought the old anorak version when they were on a very good sale. The new one looks a lot better as it has a fitted hood, the hood on mine is a bit ridiculous for belay use but is OK for camp use. The fit is what you would expect, big and boxy to go over other layers.
For the price I would probably upscale and get a Rab or Montane which are better made.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 21 Oct, 2020 11:24 am

They might be better made but they are far too small to fit me; I've tried.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Thu 22 Oct, 2020 11:19 am

Moondog55 wrote:It's not free return postage for stuff bought online via the payment plan, also can't be returned in-store ...

I see your issue in regards to the payment plan, but I wasn't referring to return postage. I returned an item to the WPonds shop in person not two weeks ago, should that be relevant. A 'plan' item shouldn't be any different. Good luck however it pans out.
Cheers
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Eremophila » Thu 22 Oct, 2020 3:46 pm

Afterpay items need to be returned via the "Webstore Returns" mailing address.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 24 Oct, 2020 7:37 am

I thought that the old pullover style Arrowsmith was the epitome of good UL design.
Another thought tho.
Anaconda have a cheap down blanket that could be converted to a poncho that might be a cost effective option for around camp use.
https://www.mountaindesigns.com/equipme ... BP90138891
Just a neck hole or add a hood of some sort.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 08 Dec, 2020 1:20 pm

I finally got a chance to check the garment out. While it is a bit on the chunky side I think it would do the job as a DAS replacement to save some weight on my back.
Not sure the hood is big enough for a helmet but it felt OK in the store. Geelong only had a Large but while that wasn't big enough to do up the zipper I think the XXL will do the job.
It is a kilo lighter than my current big duvet and a third of a kilo lighter than the old DAS.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 16 Dec, 2020 10:27 am

I ordered an XXL and it comes today. If it fits I may keep it but I needed to order online so I could check the fit, none in stock.
If I decide to keep it I think I'll sell a couple of my UL and LW puffies, I don't really walk in summer much and if I do fleece is warm enough most times.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 16 Dec, 2020 1:41 pm

Well it is going straight back.
Far too small for something that is supposed to be cut at a belay parka for HA climbing. I wonder if Macapac realise how much money they are losing by not making clothing that is true to size and fit and designed to work together. Fits more like a Large. It is far smaller than my DAS parka. Light is not right if it doesn't fit.
I tried it on with they winter layering system I would normally be using, it is at least 150mm too small in girth to work, Cecile was of the opinion that is 200mm to small in girth.
I had Cecile take pictures as I layered up to illustrate the point. Ignore Covid gut, added weight will drop off next winter.
Attachments
IMG_1668.JPG
UL base layers plus UL windshirt
IMG_1668.JPG (133.91 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG (131.59 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
IMG_1670.JPG
Macpac Pisa in XXL
IMG_1670.JPG (136.83 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1671.JPG (129.72 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
IMG_1672.JPG
Plenty of room to move
IMG_1672.JPG (131.66 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
IMG_1673.JPG
MD Goretex in XXL, fits well over the midlayer
IMG_1673.JPG (136.02 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG (131.81 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
IMG_1675.JPG
Down parka in XXL Not much room at all
IMG_1675.JPG (128.49 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
IMG_1676.JPG
Zipped up and it is tight
IMG_1676.JPG (134.36 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
IMG_1678.JPG
Too tight and the loft is diminished
IMG_1678.JPG (132.69 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Wed 16 Dec, 2020 9:15 pm

I count six layers MD!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 17 Dec, 2020 5:41 am

Windsjirts don't count
5 layers in a full winters system and that Pisa isn't all that warm, just warm enough when working reasonably hard.
My XL Patagonia DAS is cut much larger and layers over that winter ensemble easily
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Thu 17 Dec, 2020 6:51 am

I dunno MD. That's clearly too small for your needs, but to expect XXL to fit properly over a 44" chest (IIRC) and all those layers, may be a big ask. Also despite the blurb, modern Macpac is very likely not conversant with serious layering.

Macpac had it's genesis in NZ, and NZ outdoor sizing has always been generous, if not now. Surely they make bigger than XXL ? XXXXL ? Past sizing has been up to many more XXXs than your purchase, and quite capable of fitting an All Black.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 17 Dec, 2020 7:24 am

Macpac used to be very generous and In the "old days" a Macpac Extra Large would swim on me and their fleece still does. But their shelled garments are not sized on the same body fit.
Asian made and Asian sized.
They do describe it as a "Belay Parka" clearly with no real understanding of how a belay parka functions and not much choice in larger sizes, even the XXXL in the UL down was tight and as small as the XXXL in my Uniqlo UL down [ actually I think they are exactly the same garment from the same source, just double the price] Macpacs size guide said it should have fitted and it did just do so over a T-shirt. Macpac do seem reluctant to listen to their customers at the moment.
Those layers are not that thick, base layers only 2mm and only 7mm with the windshirt, the Pisa is properly sized and there is an adequate gap of about 4 to 7 mm between the two. Ditto the gap between the hard shell and the Pisa soft shell.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Thu 17 Dec, 2020 3:58 pm

This is confusing that you would have multiple layers and a down jacket, its either one or the other.
Try the down jacket over a single t shirt and let it warm up.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 17 Dec, 2020 4:27 pm

commando wrote:This is confusing that you would have multiple layers and a down jacket, its either one or the other.
Try the down jacket over a single t shirt and let it warm up.

You don't do much ski touring then and never climbed Alpine?
It's for use if you break a leg while away from your camp so you don't freeze to death while waiting for the SES
That's why they are often referred to as "Oh *&%$#!" bits of clothing, do some reading about belay parkas to see how these are used.
It's not a matter of one or the other; it's about using a clothing system appropriate for the conditions.
Also used as a sleeping layer to boost the warmth of your sleeping bag if needs be, either wearing it inside or layered over the top and buttoned on to hold it in place.
I'd not often use a downie for my active layer unless I was climbing above 3 or 4k and as I don't climb any more that isn't likely. If I was doing so I'd be wearing a climbing specific parka and salopettes or more likely these days a singelton, a one piece suit and a one piece underwear layer.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Thu 17 Dec, 2020 4:45 pm

On Macpac sizing - The Pisa is cut for a close fit - the alpha direct works best on the skin or over a base layer. I have one in medium and it is definitely an over t-shirt only fit designed for aerobic activity.

I have the older arrowsmith anorak in large - it is cut correctly I think; being a big baggy fit that fits over over a base + mid + shell easily; a nice garment for snow camping and is true to size for its purpose.
It is definitely an outdoor piece as no-one in their right mind would wear a translucent bag of feathers in the pub.

I can't speak for the newer versions of macpac gear but, if their new base layers are any guide, they seem to have adopted the skinny shoulders, skinny forearm fit of modern outdoor garments.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby commando » Fri 18 Dec, 2020 12:53 am

Moondog55 wrote:You don't do much ski touring then and never climbed Alpine?

Just curious how you think you know my experience about Alpine, when i climbed at Mt Cook National Park every second year
and only sometimes carried a down jacket, try some research on woollen swandris and woollen army trousers.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 18 Dec, 2020 5:46 am

OK So you have climbed Alpine; good. Things have changed since the 1970s
I used to wear the same stuff, now I have learned safer and better
Aoraki in summer or winter?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby commando » Fri 18 Dec, 2020 11:52 am

What's wrong with Katmandu in Geelong they have large sizes and its a big enterprise?
May June preferred times for me at Mt Cook National park, very quiet then.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 18 Dec, 2020 12:39 pm

I have a pretty specific need with this new purchase.
Kathmandu gear is OK but they cater mainly for the travel and trekking crowd now and all their down gear is slim and meant to be good looking more than functional.
Their big Alpine parkas when they have them duplicate what I already own
What I have works and works well but I am trying to get my carried weight a lot lower.
I have a bigger shell than that red one but it is half a kilo heavier and double the bulk and fits over the DAS if needs be, but that would mean having to take off a protective layer to add insulation and in context that isn't smart.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Fri 18 Dec, 2020 7:18 pm

If you look carefully at the label, you will see below the '2XL' the words 'Made in China'.
General experience is that a Chinese 2XL is about M or L Australian.
It would seem that Macpac may have sunk so low that they are no longer checking clothing sizes for Au/NZ customers?

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 18 Dec, 2020 9:26 pm

rcaffin wrote:If you look carefully at the label, you will see below the '2XL' the words 'Made in China'.
General experience is that a Chinese 2XL is about M or L Australian.
It would seem that Macpac may have sunk so low that they are no longer checking clothing sizes for Au/NZ customers?

Cheers
Roger

I think that's it in a nutshell Roger, and I haven't been a "medium" since I was 14YO.
Overpriced and Under-sized
Macpac haven't listened to their customers for a long time now or they would have fixed this issue.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment